Twinset inflator sides

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In your opinion.

Sidemounting the stages it greatly helps. This keeps the stages streamlined, horizontal and prevents them from catching on the rocks or wreck. It also helps to kit up and a whole host of other benefits.

DIR is good, but it's definitely not a one size fits all. There's many modifications that can be added to tailor the rig to the mission or the diver's specific circumstances.

What problem are you trying to solve?

It’s nonsense. Literal world record dives are done with a normal harness and dudes wanna act like they need some extra d rings and bungees to go diving.

It’s honestly kinda funny.

Need a DIRenstein subcategory.

“ We all know Albert Einstein was a genius... But his brother Frank was a monster.”

Changes I'm considering:
  • Move the wing inflator to the left post.
  • Move the drysuit inflator to the right post.
  • Move the kidney dump to the right side of the wing.
Just wondering, the moving of the dump to the right side of the wing, where you going to (i) order a new custom wing with the dump on the right, or (ii) just hacking a new hole in your existing wing?

And your "early warning system" for justification of the moving of the wing inflator, would not seeing that your gas consumption has gone to zero not be enough of an "early warning"?

It’s nonsense. Literal world record dives are done with a normal harness and dudes wanna act like they need some extra d rings and bungees to go diving.

DIR -- some consider it to be proof that one size fits everything. Except when it doesn't, as in the millions of dives that aren't world-record beating cave dives.

In reality it's just a guideline as some circumstances may require changes to optimise the rig.

And your "early warning system" for justification of the moving of the wing inflator, would not seeing that your gas consumption has gone to zero not be enough of an "early warning"?
Or being aware of a bump and doing a flow check as a matter of practice... Better to catch it immediately vs. when I need to add gas to my wing.

- Not claiming DIR experience nor adherance in any way, but interested in the rationales for rules beyond simply standardization or tradition -

One advantage that I have come to in thinking on the left-wing \ right-DS configuration was the ability to slip out of the waist and left-shoulder strap and rotate the rig around (at least partially) to the right for clearing entanglements or inspecting regs\manifold without having to disconnect anything. (That goes out the window if diving single tank, though, unless I'm running a LH 2nd stage which requires dealing with manipulating that somehow.)

That may certainly be overriden by other concerns. Not sure they apply to me, though. I'm not scootering and keep my torch in\on my right hand most of the time, which leaves my left (dominant - yea one of the 10% - just a non-conformist by nature :wink: ) hand free for buoyancy and other tasks ...

You seem awfully upset by an extra D ring, abnormally so.

Nick_Radov:
The DIR leadership has been pretty good at explaining why we do things a certain way. It's less good at explaining that alternative approaches have already been tried and rejected years ago. Then these ideas resurface every few years and around we go again, often playing a game of "telephone" with second- and third-hand information. It would be helpful to document not just the "why" but also the "why not" as the reasons aren't always obvious to those with limited experience, or who only do a single type of diving. Maybe we need something like a DIR wiki? Although it's difficult to get the real experts to devote much time to writing about the basics.

I would love to read something like that. Most of the decisions that went into the DIR system are easy to explain, but not everything.
I just watched some old videos (2004 I believe) on GUE.tv where they cover the point Nick makes above. Interesting stuff seeing their thought process and how they arrived at the standards.

Also, Fundamentals of Better Diving covers just about everything and a lot of the reasoning. For example, here is a little snippet from the book:

"To provide additional redundancy when using two first stages, the inflator hose should always be run from the right post. This requirement is illustrated in the case of a diver’s left post rolling off or breaking. If the
inflator is run from the left post, the diver will simultaneously lose not only the use of the backup regulator around the neck but also the ability to inflate the BC. These two problems together could be inordinately
compounded by an out-of-air situation in which a diver would not only be without the means of controlling his/her buoyancy but would also be deprived of the use of a third regulator (cf. note 7)."

Also I think they took into consideration a runaway power inflator. One would be able to swim down while simultaneously shutting down the right post and dumping gas from the left rear dump valve.

Interesting stuff.

DIR -- some consider it to be proof that one size fits everything. Except when it doesn't, as in the millions of dives that aren't world-record beating cave dives.

In reality it's just a guideline as some circumstances may require changes to optimise the rig.

This post was about which side to route the inflator hose off. What does side mounting stages have to do with that?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom