How should I prepare for the possibility of being left behind?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The best preparation against being left behind is for everyone to notice you're not back on board. So...

Be *really* memorable on the dive boat.

Tell awful jokes.

Forget to wear a swim suit under your civvies so you have to suit up in your whitey-tighties.

Sign the release form 'Jack Cousteau', then complain loudly when they make you change it. Now that'll be your "boat nickname" and you're no longer anonymous.

Brag about your Doria dives. Then hook up your BC with the tank on backwards.

The boat'll never leave you behind, they'll just wish they had.

This is the best advice I have heard. "Where is #$%^&*( jerk Jacque at? "would be the day saving words.

As with so many other things in diving, the best defense is a good offense. Nolatom's post, although tongue in cheek, has real truth in it -- someone on the boat is much more likely to notice you are gone, if they have registered you were there in the first place. In addition, it is a good idea to ask any dive op about their roll call or check-in procedures. Every boat should have one. Other things that will help prevent being left behind are honoring the requested dive time, staying with the guide (if requested), and recognizing quickly when something is going to put you out of range (aborting a dive where the current is too strong AND sending up a marker buoy immediately, for example). One can also help prevent this kind of thing by recognizing when the requirements of the dive are beyond your current capacity (new divers doing hot drops into high current drifts, for example).

Once you HAVE been left, having methods to make yourself visible to searchers is very useful. That can include SMB/safety sausages, mirrors, dye packs, or even personal life rafts, depending on how isolated the place are where you are diving. Being buoyant is useful, so jettisoning weights should be high on the list, if it appears the wait will be long. Remaining, as best you can, in a place certain, will aid searchers, especially if you can stay in the vicinity of where the dive was done. (The exception to this would be if there is land within reasonable reach -- and that means both distance AND current.)

But overall, it is far better not to be left than to be rediscovered.

Carry a PLB.

It is the Dive Boat Captain's job (or person in charge of the diving) to count the number of people on board before the dive and make sure that everyone is back on board before leaving the dive site.

If they do not do this then they are at fault and irresponsible, licence to carry divers should be revoked etc etc.

There is absolutely no excuse for leaving a diver behind.

I always carry an SMB, but more to make my position obvious for a quick pick up after the dive and secondly to ensure other boat traffic are aware of my position in the water - but that does not help if the crew of the boat are blind.

The best way to prepare for being left at sea to die is to have a good estate plan, will, powers of attorney, etc before you go diving.

If these guy were not rescued, would the assumption been that they both disappered from land after a night out? Would the capitan and crew said that they were certain they were back on board, because they "always" check, just to cover their butts?

When I go to a remote area where there is no communication (BWCA or remote fly-in fishing trips) I file a plan with family or friends letting them know when I plan on being back to civilization. If they do not hear from me within 24 hours they have been instructed to call the outfitter or floatplane to check on delays, and then file a missing person report if necessary. Perhaps it would be a good idea to tell someone you know and trust about your dive plan and tell them you will call them when you return safely. That being said, I have never done this when diving. Even in Bonaire, when shore diving with just my buddy, I have not asked anyone to check on my safe return. No one even knows which sites I am diving. If anything were to happen to my buddy and I, no one would even know until checkout time at the hotel or at the tank rental shop. In the future, I will email someone with my dive plans and then email at the end of each day to signal my safe return.

Two other suggestions

1 Take a twenty dollar bill and tear off one corner and give it to one of the boat staff. Take the rest of the bill diving with you.

2 Get a smoking hot dive buddy who looks even better in a wetsuit, These seem to get the most attention of the boat staff.

In addition to a 7 foot SMB/reel, and whistle I also carry a product made made by OMS that is essentially a vial of water stain. The concept is that it will stain the water around you orange and make you more visible when on the surface and needing rescue. I saw the military version used at an airshow once, and it left a lasting impression. Whether its effective, im not sure. It seems awfully small to make much of a lasting stain. I carry this vial in my BC. Seemed like a good idea at the time. I hope to never really find out, but its small and another option/hope for being spotted..

Private pilots constantly practice and prepare for an engine out landing. It doesn't happen very often but knowing what to do IF the engine stops makes pilots safer. If you are diving from a boat, whether a private or commercial one, and are not prepared to survive if the worst happens, then you are not really prepared to be diving from a boat.

Now that we understand the obvious, any suggestions on what preparations to make, exactly?

OP: from what I've read the most effective thing to carry is an SMB, at least 6 feet (2 meters) in length and preferably 8 inches wide. Along with that an audible signalling device, either whistle or horn. Be clear, though, the SMBs are difficult to see from far away (on the surface) and whistles are next to useless on the ocean unless you're 10 feet from the boat. Air horns like a diver alert (??) or one of those compressed air horns people blow at sports events may be more reliable for audible signaling. I've seen a couple of small inflatable rafts that supposedly pack into a BC pocket or between a wing and a plate, but I don't know how realistic they are. They seem bulky and given the actual likelihood of being left behind, probably more for the paranoid few than the masses.

I'd say beyond the SMB and a horn, being truly fit and able to swim a couple miles is your best bet after making an ass of yourself on the boat (so people remember you).

1 Take a twenty dollar bill and tear off one corner and give it to one of the boat staff. Take the rest of the bill diving with you.
I actually think that's a great idea! "Here's half of your tip... you get the other half on the boat ride back to the dock because I'll know I'm on the boat and so will you."

I second the thought on the SMB size. My wife thought the ones I got for us were ridicules compared to the ones that everyone else she saw toting them around had. Until she saw someone using one of the smaller ones to signal the charter we were on when they got separated from their flag man. We almost could not see the guy from a couple hundred yards. I used my 7 foot neon yellow, 8 inch wide SMB in 3-5 foot seas a weekend ago or so, and was able to be easily spotted from 200 yards away. So yeah, if you are going to bother to carry an SMB get a big one. and get one that can be octo-inflated, or low-pressure, or oral inflated, with an exhaust vent. They are sort of pricey, but if you cannot be spotted, what is the point. When you are floating in the ocean trying to be spotted is not the time to wish you had broken out the hundred bucks for the good SMB. Having personally witnessed that, I gladly bought the "good" one. It is worth that much to be spotted, even once.

No, this doers not happen often... but all it takes is just once to create a potential problem. Always best to adopt the Boy Scout motto and "be prepared." In addition to the items listed in the post below, it always helps to talk to the DM and captain to ask what kind of a check they do for the divers upon return. It should not be just a roll call, it should involve looking directly at the person whose name was called when they respond. Making yourself noticeable certainly can help, but if the check in procedure is not a thorough one, others may respond "for you"

Of course diving here off Catalina Island we are rarely far from shore due to the steep drop-offs (except at places like Ship Rock or Farnsworth Bank... wouldn't want to swim back from either one of those). Fortunately the captain and crew wouldn't leave me (would they?) and the ladies would see that I was missing a protest to the captain (or possibly say nothing to make sure I don't get back on board!)

Reports coming here on Scubaboard now and then..

Some equipment that can be good is
SMB
Whistle
Light
Mirror
Other noise signaling device

But mainly, a good dive plan that is communicated to the captain, using guides whenever it is new waters and being generally careful and dont dive in conditions you cannot master like streamy conditions etc.

Back
Top Bottom