How should I prepare for the possibility of being left behind?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is the Dive Boat Captain's job (or person in charge of the diving) to count the number of people on board before the dive and make sure that everyone is back on board before leaving the dive site.

If they do not do this then they are at fault and irresponsible, licence to carry divers should be revoked etc etc.

IMHO, if they ONLY do a count and do not do a face recognition check in, there is an increased chance they will count inaccurately and miss a diver. This has happened in several incidents.

Most guides will give a dive time. 45 minutes, 5 min safety stop. FOLLOW THAT PLAN.
Don't be the last one to surface. It's easy to feel you want your money's worth etc....or even just show off a little.... and spend more time underwater, but, it's likely you'll be the one left behind if you happen to go out on a boat run by morons.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Thread moved from Accidents and Incidents as it is a general question prompted by the incident referred to rather than a discussion of that incident. The thread on the incident itself can be found here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...aves-divers-open-waters-off-key-biscayne.html .

Does this happen regularily?

Miami Beach charter leaves divers in open waters off Key Biscayne - Key Biscayne - MiamiHerald.com

How should I prepare for such a situation?

From least expensive equipment to most expensive -

whistle

mirror

collapsible snorkle

Light

SMB

Nautilus Lifeline VHF diver radio

EPIRB

How much of it can you afford? The more you have the safer you'll be in more situations

Screw this stick to your dive plan nonsense, nobody ends up stranded on purpose, the idea is to be prepared if it happens, not pretend it's never going to happen cause you're Aquaman.

In places like the Galapagos, some operators give you a folding dive flag. When assembled, they are 6-7 feet and have a wider visible area than a tube shaped smb. My understanding is that in some ocean trials they have proven easier to spot than the standard smb. These trials are always subjective and results seem to vary.

If you charter your very own boat or have a crew manning your very private diving boat, then unless they have a grief against you, they should still be there when your surface. Beside that, you could always bring Sea Dye Marker, waterprook flare, stobe light , quacker or whistle, signal mirror, brightly colored safety sausage, etc.

I think all the surface markers and signal devices have already been covered so I would just add a snorkel and dive reel. If you are left behind go back to the bottom and secure your reel to something so you remain in place, if they come back to look for you they will start the search where they left you and expand the search outwards from there. If decompression is an issue or there is nothing on the bottom to attach your line to, attach the line to your weight belt and drop that to keep you in place. The snorkel will allow you to rest so you do not have to keep swimming to keep your head above water.

For the ones that want to carry all the redundant stuff, a bottle of water might
be the the most valuable, because after
the short bloke does the bopping and
rolling and bouncing count of heads he
can't see, then their off, "vroom vroom"
and not looking for anyone and their
flash shiny stuff

So if divers keep using this term head
count and don't get that it doesn't work
how will the dumb arse boat ever get it

Take responsibility and make sure
knowone gets left behind

Good luck?

Does this happen regularily?
NO. It happens very infrequently. But, it does / may happen.
How should I prepare for such a situation?
Be prpeared for a possible stay in the water with appropriate signaling devices (mirrors, whistle, light, possibly dye marker), as several posts have noted.

ASK the crew of the boat, before / when yoi leave the dock, what their 'accounting procedures' are. There is nothing wrong with saying, 'I am a little apprehensive after the Miami incident, and just want to understand how you make sure all divers are accounted for.' If you mention the movie, 'Open Water', your concerns might be dismissed. If you mention a REAL incident, you will get more attention.

I guess I should read the guidebook for this situation

large-left-behind1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom