Here she comes....Vandenberg!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can not wait till she is down .... do they have a date set?

Dive Key West Inc is offering Vandenberg trips for $99 plus tanks their number is 305-296-3823 :wink:

or if you don't want to have to pay "jacked up pricing", you can use one of the dive
shops that hasn't raised their prices for the Vandengerg like Dive Key West has... :shakehead:

Gosh the other place I checked had 125 and 135 as their prices:shakehead:

So who would you recommend?

I got to see the old girl today, she is going to be a divers paradise.

Attachments

• IMG_2202.jpg
    IMG_2202.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 77
Here is a nice little video of the Vandenberg just off the island that really shows the scale of the ship.

YouTube - USS Vandenberg

Gosh the other place I checked had 125 and 135 as their prices:shakehead:

So who would you recommend?

I don't know who isn't raising their rates yet.... Sub Tropic had a employee posting on the "Key west dive op" thread that said they were most likely not going to raise their rates, but I don't think he was the "deciding manager" on the issue....

It appears that the Key West Dive Shops are taking key to what dive shops in Pensacola did, which was to raise their rates for the Orriskany to $150 bucks per trip. now this is somewhat justified over a "4 hour trip" that is inshore and just a few miles offshore).

However, the Vandenberg is only being sunk 6 miles offshore.... not 23 miles as the Oriskany is. So the Vandenberg really won't be any further out than the other "close sites" in Key West.

But some dive shops are charging more for the Vandenberg than they are for reefs sites or even other wreck sites. :shakehead:

When in reality this will likely be an easier site since they will do 2 dives on the same site and not have to motor someonewhere else and tie in a 2nd time. I think some dive shops are justifying it saying that "well you need a guide". well that's BS....

I mean all the shops in Key Largo don't charge extra to dive the Spiegel Grove.... (or require you to have a "guide" that you have to pay extra for... :shakehead:)

Here is an example of how one dive shop in Key West is already advertising higher prices for going the same distance they did beforehand.... :shakehead.

(from another thread

It appears that DIVE KEY WEST has already selfishly jacked up their rates. :shakehead:

they've already raised their rates for the dive before the thing is even sunk. :shakehead:

Dive Key West; Key West Scuba Diving Charters, Scuba Dive, Diving, Dive Charters in Key West Florida

Dive Key West - SCUBA DIVER RATE

LOCATIONS | TRIP ONLY | w / TANKS (air) | w / SCUBA PKG. | w / FULL WETSUIT
Reefs| $69.00 | $89.00 | $119.00 | $134.00
Wreck/Night | $79.00 | $99.00 | $129.00 | $144.00
Vandenberg | $99.00 | $119.00 | $149.00| $164.00

whats the word they use in the news when gas stations raise their prices to astronomical rates. . . price something . . . man there is a huge gouge in my desk here at work...

Here is a nice little video of the Vandenberg just off the island that really shows the scale of the ship.

YouTube - USS Vandenberg

that video is showing up as unavailable.... but here are some others I found

Each video is a little different and has interesting info.

USS Gen Hoyt S Vandenberg arrives in Key West

Stevens Institute Vandenberg Sinking

This is a news story on how they were using models to determine the best way to sink the Vandenberg. (note, several fact errors such they call it the "SS Vandenberg" as the name of the ship)

Pentagon Channel Report on Ships arrival in Key west
includes some helicopter footage that I haven't seen elsewhere...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom