Packing and Travel Tips for the ScubaBoard Invasion 2023 to Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ROXANNE

Artist
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Packing and Travel, Resort Info, and Diving Tips
for the ScubaBoard Invasion 2023 to Roatan

Well, we are getting closer to the SB Invasion 2023 to Roatan!!!!!
I thought I'd share some ideas and info
on preparing for this adventure.
If you have great tips to share, feel free to add them to the thread below.

Any newly updated info will be added in GREEN to these 1st initial posts.
So you won't need to search for changing information!

I’ll get things started… Here are some of my tips and info.

General Information

Anytime you are traveling outside of your normal area, it's good to check
CDC Destinations/Travelers Health Info

STEP Program for US Citizens - Smart Traveler Enrollment Program
I recommend consulting with your doctor anytime before leaving the country.

Make a Travel Check List I keep on file a master checklist and print it out for each trip. This helps save time so you don't need to remember what's needed each time. The master list includes everything that might be needed. If there's something on the list that doesn't apply to this trip, I just cross it off. I also include things to do like stopping the mail, contacting your cell provider if you want service there, and calling the credit card companies to inform them that I will be going out of the country so they don't cut you off in mid-trip.
It's also a good thing to start planning early, in case anything needs to be serviced or repaired before you go.

Maps of Roatan

Google travel maps
Maps of Roatan Island in the Western Caribbean Area

DON'T FORGET These Items when Packing!
Airline tickets/info
for going and returning flights

Bay Adventures Travel Vouchers for the Resort and Diving Reservations. (These will be sent out in June)

Anthony Key's Luggage Tags (They will be mailed to you from Bay Adventures approximately 2 weeks before travel) Put them on your checked luggage before leaving for airport. These help the AKR staff identify you outside the airport for transport.

Passports
(I also make a copy of it and put it in my carry-on)

Driver’s License or if you don’t have one, some other form of picture ID.

Diving Certification Cards (I also make a copy of it and put it in my carry-on)

DAN, Diving, and Health Insurance Cards

ScubaBoard Waiver
(Cardzard will email it out to everyone a few weeks before travel. Please print, fill out, and bring it with you to the welcome party on the 1st night.)

Credit Cards or ATM Cards US dollars, American Express, VISA, and Master cards are excepted at the resort. You can charge your drinks, tips, gift shop, and any excursion through the resort to your room. (Be sure to call your credit card company, and let them know when and where you’ll traveling) (FYI Some CC companies charge an extra fee for transactions when out of the country) ATMs are very hard to come by in Roatan. Visit
www.xe.com for current rates for those traveling other than from the US.

Cash Small Bills (1s, 5s, 10s, and 20s go a long way) (Some of the restaurants or shops don't accept credit cards or $100 bills if you plan on venturing out on the island.)

Prescription Medication (always keep it in the prescription bottle it came in along with your name on it)
And always bring a few days extra in case you have travel delays along the way.

Over-the-counter medications and first aid items that you may need.
Please keep in mind, we are on a very small island and many items are not readily available.
Especially allergy medication if you have ever had an allergic reaction. I have a med pack for traveling with items such as band aides, sports wraps, Benadryl, Imodium, Advil, bug bite cream, etc.

N-19 Masks Covid is still with us and you should always have protection when needed.

Refillable Water Bottles for each person in your party Bottled water is NOT available for purchase at the resort.

Sunscreen (Try to use products if possible for the coral reefs' health)
I found this wonderful line of reef-safe products Stream2Sea | EcoConscious & Biodegradable Sunscreen.

Sunglasses and an extra cheap pair for the boat (polarized are better for gazing into the water)

Hats

Beach Towels
for excursions

Bug spray (Insect repellent is recommended and is also sold at the resort.) Near sunset and sunrise are the worst time for mosquitoes and no-see-ums. Here are a few products. Here's a comparison of the Best Insect Repellants for Noseeums. Also, keep in mind, Noseeums are attracted to darker clothing.
Always remember not to leave your room door open or you may invite them into your room.
FYI Gardeners Tip, Did you know that if you put soap on a bite right away, leave it on, and don't rub or scratch it, many times it will alleviate the itch and swelling?

Personal flashlight, You may want to bring a small personal flashlight to assist in walking back to your bungalows at night.

Woolite or those all-in-one washer sheets if you plan on washing the funk off your clothes or dive wear in the sink/tub. Don't forget some close pins and lightweight rope too. They help when hanging items up for drying and to keep them from blowing off the porches.

A light jacket, it goes on the plane with me as well. (Many of the airports and sometimes the planes can be very cold.)

Tennis Shoes if you're planning on zip lining or going on other Island excursions.

Long Sleeve Shirt and Pants are recommended for horseback riding.

Anthony's Key Resort Info

Our hosts
Anthony's Key Resort's Website

AKR Registration and Waiver Online Form
  • Required for all guests (Dive Package, Snorkel Package, and Resort Package).
  • Complete one form per person.
Anthony's Key Resort Map

Sustainable Practices at Anthony’s Key Resort

AKR's Front Desk opens at 6:00 AM and closes at 10:00 PM.

AKR check-in time is 3:00 PM, and the check-out time is 11:00 AM
Your bungalow must be vacated no later than 11:00 AM on departure day. You’ll need to check out at the Front Desk the day before for early morning departures.

The Guest Rooms receive daily housekeeping and are equipped with
  • Ceiling Fans
  • Air Conditioning
  • Bath Amenities
  • Hair Dryer
  • Coffee Maker
  • Mini Refrigerator
  • Free Wifi
  • In-room Safes
Water All the water at the resort is safe. Bottled water is NOT available for purchase at the resort. Please bring your own water bottle that can be refilled. You can bring flavor packets or liquids to flavor your water for variety. I like to bring flavor packs for my coffee too! I do strongly suggest drinking only bottled or can drinks when outside the resort and wiping any moisture from the tops to avoid having any health issues. I also like to avoid ice and frozen drinks when outside the resort. You should always be conscious of what you are eating and drinking when you are outside of your normal routine and country.

Electricity North American standard layout and voltage of 110 volts(60 cycles), so adapters or transformers are not required for U.S. and Canadian appliances.

Laundry service is available through an outside provider. Laundry is picked up each morning at the snack shop before 10:00 AM and returned in the afternoon after 2:00 PM. It costs $7 for a small load and $14 for a large load. (Prices are subject to change.)

Meal Times

• Breakfast: 7:00 am – 10:00 am
  • Lunch: 12:00 pm - 2:00 pm
  • Dinner 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Meal Menus
  1. All resort packages include three meals daily.
  2. We include juice, milk, and house coffee with breakfast. We also provide purified water fountains throughout the property to refill your reusable water bottle.
    Beverages such as sodas, specialty coffees, tea, juices, and alcoholic drinks are not included in our packages. However, you may purchase these and other drinks at the Ankor Bar, Frangipani Bar, Pool Bar, Snack Shop, and Coast Coffee Shop.
  3. Snacks are available for sale at the Snack Shop from 7 am to 5 pm.

Breakfast

• The breakfast menu offers many traditional favorites, including omelets, pancakes, oatmeal, various sides, and other specialties! In addition, assorted fresh fruit, cereals, and freshly baked pastries are offered at your table or on a buffet.

Lunch

• The lunch menu features an array of sandwiches, signature salads, and plant-based and kid-friendly dining options. In addition, we provide homemade dessert at lunch. We serve a buffet lunch once weekly during our Maya Key Beach Day.

Dinner

• The dinner menu changes each night and offers various options for all tastes and diets. Dinner entrees come with soup or salad and homemade dinner rolls. In addition to the varied dishes from our package selection, you can opt to order one of our rotating house specials for an added fee. We also offer a selection of homemade desserts for dinner. Island Fiesta Night features a buffet dinner once per week.
Dietary Restrictions AKR is committed to offering options to accommodate guests who have dietary restrictions, food allergies, or intolerances. They provide plant-based options for lunch and dinner and can accommodate gluten-free diets. Please get in touch with Bay Adventures to make them aware of your needs. You may also email AKR at frontdesk@anthonykey.com; please include the names of the individuals on your reservation with special requests and dates of stay. I also recommend verifying that they are aware at check-in.

Restaurant Dress Code Please wear comfortable, informal clothing. Do not enter the restaurant at any time with wet bathing suits, shoes, wetsuits, dive skins, or dive booties.

Bar Hours

The drinking age is 21

AKR Pool Bar

Mondays: 3:00 pm - 6:00 pm
Tuesday - Sunday: 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
Happy Hours
Saturdays & Sundays:
5:00 pm - 6:00 pm

Ankor Bar

Sunday-Tuesday: 10:00 am - 10:00 pm
Wednesday: 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
Thursday-Saturday: 10:00 am - 10:00 pm
Happy Hours
Mondays:
5:00 pm - 7:00 pm

Frangipani Bar

Daily: 2:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Happy Hours
Fridays:

Gift Shop Open 7:00 am - 6:00 pm Daily

Snack Shop Open 7:00 am - 5:00 pm Daily

Coast Coffee House Open Tuesday - Sunday 6:00 am -3:00 pm Menu

Resort Activities and Spa
Pool Open 8:00 am - 10:00 pm Daily Towels are available.
Kayaks Available Daily During Daylight Hours
Paddle Boards Available Daily During Daylight Hours
Bailey's Key Open Sunrise to Sunset Daily

Dolphins Activities

Tipping Guidelines Gratuities are not included.
(These are suggestions as Tipping is Personal) Please see AKR Tipping Guidelines

Taxis are readily available should you desire to leave the property.

Excursions are also available that you can book once you arrive.
I personally don't recommend traveling to the mainland of Honduras.

Planned Activities for the Week

Saturday
AKR Pool Bar Happy Hour

~ SB Welcome Party
Museum / 7:30 PM
(Remember to bring your SB Waivers)

Sunday
~ Father's Day!

AKR Pool Bar Happy Hour

~ Fish ID Slideshow
6:00 pm in the RIMS Classroom

Monday
~ Divers Maya Key Trip

11:00 am - 2:30 pm
~Vacationers and Snorkelers
10:00 AM Depart to Maya Key by bus – Snorkeling and beach picnic
Ankor Bar Happy Hour

Tuesday
~ Night Dives Just before sunset

Wednesday

~AKR Pavillion "Happy Hour"

~ Island Fiesta Night BBQ Buffet at the Anthony's Key Pavilion
6:00 pm - 9:00 pm

Thursday
~ Night Dives Just before sunset

Friday
Frangipani Bar "Happy Hour

~ SB Group Picture and Farewell Party

Museum / 7:30 PM (Remember to wear your T-shirt)

Airline Travel Tips
Please keep in mind, these are recommendations. The airline you're using has the final say. So always check with your airline.

Due to current delays and security measures, you'll need to allow more time for check-in, security screening, and boarding flights. Please check with your airline before departure for the latest recommended arrival times and security guidelines.

U.S. citizens are required to have a valid U.S. passport. Please make sure your passport is valid for at least 6 MONTHS from your return travel date. Residents of all other countries should check with the Honduran Embassy/Consulate before leaving for specific entry requirements.

ACTION REQUIRED ON YOUR PART – WAIT UNTIL 10 DAYS BEFORE ARRIVAL ON ROATAN TO COMPLETE THE FOLLOWING 3 FORMS ONLINE:

Anthony’s Key Resort dive waiver and registration form: Registration and Waiver | Arrival Forms | Anthony's Key Resort

Honduras immigration pre-check and customs declaration forms (these two forms must be completed between 2 days and 10 days prior to arrival):

1. INM - Prechequeo Migratorio (change to English just above the QR codes)
  2. PECH - Plataforma Electrónica de Comercio de Honduras (change to English using the dropdown next to “lenguaje” at the top of the form)
Here are details instructions that will help with the two government forms: Honduras Travel Requirements | Anthony's Key Resort | Roatan
Please also note, Some people are still getting asked to complete the health/COVID declaration – that’s no longer required. Just skip it. Honduras no longer requires a COVID test or proof of vaccination.

I also recommended you have a government-issued picture ID along with your passport available at all times, as well as a printed itinerary if you're using an electronic ticket.

CARRY ON
IDs, Credit Cards, Cash, etc.
Prescription Medication
Prescription Glasses/Contacts/Mask
N95 Masks (Covid is still with us and you may need your mask easily accessible)
Jewelry/watches
Any Cameras/Phones/Electronics/Housings
Rechargeable batteries in individual cases or bags
Your Regulators
Dive Computers
Dive lights (take batteries out or for rechargeable lights, put in locked mode.)

CARE WITH ITEMS THAT YOU CAN’T AFFORD TO LOSE

Important items that you couldn't do without such as prescriptions, contacts/glasses, IDs, Credit Cards, Cash, N95 Masks, etc., carry in your personal item or on your person. Do Not pack these items in your carry-on. Sometimes a carry-on will be moved to checked luggage if they run out of room and you don't want to be without those important items.

Check with your Airline for specific rules as to what's accepted, size and weight limits for luggage, and procedure for checking in, as these seem to be changing constantly. For anything in question or liquid form, check with your airline. Summer Travel Checked luggage limits are 2 bags at 50 lbs each.

Making the most of the luggage weight restrictions and packing
(Don't forget, Men and Women are allowed to have a personal item purse/backpack/briefcase/man purse in addition to their carry-on. So make the most of it!)

I have a large purse that I use just for flying. The personal item is usually not weighed, so it's great for a few heavier items. Just make sure the items you put in your personal item can be carried on and not needed to be placed in checked luggage. (Again always check with your airline.)
Think about lightweight items when packing. Inexpensive t-shirts (like Hanes or Fruit of the Loom) are very lightweight, come in multiple colors, are great, and can be left behind if you shop too much in town. Lightweight dresses, shorts, and tops are great for ladies. Think khakis or other lightweight fabrics over jeans. Also Lighter colors help to deter biting insects.

Shoes can weigh a lot too. Even thou it's a pain at the airport, I'll wear my tennis shoes as they weigh the most.

A light jacket, it goes on the plane with me as well. (Many of the airports and sometimes the planes can be very cold.)

A personal travel hand scale is an invaluable tool so you don't have surprises when getting to the airport on your flights.

Put your name, address, and phone number inside all your bags including your carry-on and personal item in case they become lost or separated from you.

Put some of each person's items in each checked bag. That way if one of the bags gets lost, you still have some of your things.
If a solo traveler, try to fit in at least 1 extra of your undergarments in your carry-on. Outerwear is easier to purchase if your bags arrive late or are lost, but trying to find undergarments for purchase can be more difficult.

Travel from Airport to Hotel
Round-trip airport transfers are included in your package to and from the airport to Anthony's Key Resort. You should find the details in your travel vouchers from Bay Adventures. The ride is about 20 minutes to the resort.

Weather Forecast to help you decide what to pack
On land, daily lows/highs are around 78°F to 86°F.
The average temperature is around 85 degrees Fahrenheit with a humid tropical climate.

Diving Info and Tips

Here are a few links you might be interested in.
AKR Dive Op

Roatan Dive Sites
Most Popular Dives
Fish of Roatan View attachment 402231
Current Water Temps

The AKR Dive Shop is open from 7:30 am until the last boat docks in the evening.

Dive Lockers are Open 7:00 am – 9:00 pm Daily

Tanks, weights, and weight belts are included.

Diving Schedule

8:30 am - Depart for first single-tank dive
10:30 am - Depart for second single-tank dive
2:30 pm - Depart for third single-tank dive

All boats return to the dock for a 45-minute surface interval, giving you the flexibility of missing an early or late morning dive if you desire. Please let the dive shop know if you are going to set out a dive. Snacks are also available for purchase at the snack shop on the dock.

Nitrox Info for those using Nitrox (Nitrox needs to be scheduled with the dive shop and can not be prepaid through Bay Adventures) Cost is $161 + Tax for the week. It can be added to your tab and paid at check out.)
AKR has 3 O2 analyzers in the nitrox room. The guests analyze their tanks, fill out the log, and put their locker number on the tank with a piece of tape, so the staff can take the tank and put it on the right boat. If tanks are available, please analyze your tanks the night before.

Night Dives Just before sunset, AKR’s dive fleet departs for twice weekly boat night dives (Tuesdays and Thursdays) AKR does have lights available for rental if needed.

Shore Diving is available Monday thru Saturday from 3:00 pm to 9:00 pm. (See a 3-D model of the Front Porch House Reef)

The Shark Dive (Depth of around 80' with Caribbean Reef Sharks)
This is an add-on Premium Dive that will replace 1 of your regular dives with an additional cost of $115, maybe tax as well. Price is subject to change as this dive is offered through a separate dive shop from Anthony's Key. (The dive will need to be scheduled through Anthony's Key and can not be prepaid through Bay Adventures. It can be added to your tab and paid at check out.)

Tipping Guidelines
Gratuities are not included.
(These are suggestions as Tipping is Personal) Please see AKR Tipping Guidelines

Water Temps and Visibility Water temperature are around 86° F, with average visibility of 70-80 feet. Water Visibility varies based on the site, but is generally very good and can range from 80 to 120 feet or more.

Lionfish hunting is not permitted by guests.

Camera care A lightweight cooler bag is a great way to carry those bigger underwater cameras and the smaller ones too! They give the camera some protection and are easy to fold up for packing, lightweight, and rinse out easily. I have also found the little neoprene drawstrings bags with clips are great for protecting your Go Pros on the poles or trays.

Hair care I use DoRags to keep my hair under control. If I don't keep my hair braided and covered like that, It would just be shredded. I also like to put some biodegradable conditioner in it while dry before covering it. I use Stream2Sea | EcoConscious & Biodegradable Sunscreen's leave-in conditioner. Some kind of a covering is great for gals with shorter hair and guys to keep their heads from getting sunburned too. Unless you are bald, it is very hard to put sunscreen on your scalp.

Skin or Wetsuits? Warm tropical weather is the norm. Water temperatures are around 86° F, with average visibility of 70-80 feet. If you're one of those divers that are on the cold side, you might want to bring your 3- 5 ml. wet suit. Otherwise, a skin or 1 ml is fine.

Other tips

Bring a thumb drive to share photos with other crew members.

This is a good time to get your gear serviced! If it's new or has been serviced, you might want to get in a pool session or dive in to make sure it works.

They have both Yoke and DIN Tanks, but bring a DIN adapter if diving DIN in case there isn't a tank available.

My feet get blisters and take a beating while diving for multiple days, so I wear thin socks under my booties. They also help your feet slip into your wet suit and boots!

A waterproof bag for the boat and a pelican box or other waterproof case for shore diving come in handy for keeping things dry.

Found this article and thought it might have some helpful tips for your ears and diving. :D
Ear Clearing 101

Some asked about their Save a Dive Kit (Spare Parts) We have a full-service dive shop available from our hosts. You'll find they really go out of their way to be helpful there. I would just bring some basics for the boat, O rings, mask strap, tie wraps, elastic bungee, etc. I would also include a spare battery for your computer. You may not find your type of battery there, so I prefer to have one handy.

Please keep in mind, we are on a very small island
and many items are not readily available.

I also want to remind everyone of
the importance of getting Hydrated before
and
staying Hydrated during the Invasion.
(beer and cocktails don't count)
It will be very hot down in Roatan, especially for the northern folks.
Drinking small amounts continually during the day
instead of downing 1-2 glasses will help your body retain the liquids better.
Remember to bring your own refillable water bottle.
And remember if you're planning on drinking after diving,
drink some water in between drinks
to help with the adverse effects of drinking and dehydration.
Have fun, but play it smart and safe.

Snorkeler Info and Tips

AKR Snorkeling Guide

Snorkeling Schedule
Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday

8:30 AM Guided snorkel trip
2:30 PM Guided snorkel trip

Monday
8:00 AM Guided snorkel trip
10:00 AM Depart to Maya Key by bus – Snorkeling and beach picnic
2:30 PM Return to AKR

Friday
8:30 AM Depart to Tabyana Beach – Snorkeling at Beach
11:30 AM Return to AKR
2:30 PM Guided snorkel trip

Note: Times are subject to change. Please confirm the times at the dive shop.

Water Temps and Visibility Water temperature are around 86° F, with average visibility of 70-80 feet. Water Visibility varies based on the site, but is generally very good and can range from 80 to 120 feet or more.

Hair care I use DoRags to keep my hair under control. If I don't keep my hair braided and covered like that, It would just be shredded. I also like to put some biodegradable conditioner in it while dry before covering it. I use Stream2Sea | EcoConscious & Biodegradable Sunscreen's leave-in conditioner. Some kind of a covering is great for gals with shorter hair and guys to keep their heads from getting sunburned too. Unless you are bald, it is very hard to put sunscreen on your scalp.

Skin or Wetsuits? Warm tropical weather is the norm. Water temperatures are around 86° F, with average visibility of 70-80 feet. Bathing suits, rash guards, and skins work well. If you're one of those swimmers that are on the cold side, you might want to bring your 3 ml. wet suit.

We like to use baby shampoo for mask defog.

My feet get blisters and take a beating with multiple days in the water, so I wear thin socks under my booties. They also help your feet slip into your wet suit and boots!

A waterproof bag for the boat and a pelican box or other waterproof case for shore diving come in handy for keeping things dry.

Tipping Guidelines Gratuities are not included.

We have used the Permethrin spray for several years. We spray a dri-fit long sleeve shirt with it at home several days before the trip. Then wear it at night or poolside and just spray our legs with the deet. We hang it and just keep wearing that same treated shirt and it does really make a difference.
This is a really great tip!

All the cabins have nice clothes lines but rarely have enough clothes pins if you wash your swim wear every day and hang it overnight. So I always pack extra in my bag and leave them for the next guest.

Also a rain jacket is helpful for trips to the dining room if there are pop up showers.

Back
Top Bottom