Trip Report Sharks and Shipwrecks in the Graveyard of the Atlantic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eventually I'd love to see the U-352 but I've heard from others getting out there is rare.
I recall that the last time I dived with Olympus we got out there all right--we stopped over the wreck and then the decision was made that conditions were not diveable, so we went somewhere else (maybe Spar?).

That surprises me; back when I was researching for my Aug. 2015 trip, it seemed there were complaints about Olympus Dive Center hitting it so often! I wonder if it's deteriorated much since then?
I just heard that from my LDS who organizes trips there every summer and another diver friend that goes 2-3 times each summer. When we tried to get out there the one time I went the swells were just too big, maybe that's more common now due to weather changes?

I recall that the last time I dived with Olympus we got out there all right--we stopped over the wreck and then the decision was made that conditions were not diveable, so we went somewhere else (maybe Spar?).

That happened to me on day 1. We were headed to the U-boat, but as we got close, the crew made the decision to switch to the Aeolus based on the conditions.

Thanks very much for the information on Olympus Dive Center, it's helpful to know their policies. I would like to go out with them and dive the U-352 and the Schurz a WWI German Gunboat located 3 miles from the U-352. I was told the dive season for the U-352 is May thru October.

If and when I make those dives happen, I will write a review here on SB.
SB needs a good thread on U-Boats.

. While you can rent tanks from them, you have to analyze them yourself (they provide the equipment to do so) and take them on and off the boat
I may be missing something here, but I always thought you were meant to analyze your own tanks, when diving anything else than air

I may be missing something here, but I always thought you were meant to analyze your own tanks, when diving anything else than air

That is technically correct, but this is the first operator I've dove with in a long time that actually mandated it. Most places where I have dove with Nitrox, they suggest analyzing your own tanks but do not confirm and/or mandate that this analysis takes place.

@drrich2 your report was the one I read a few times when I was preparing for my trip! To comment on some of your points:

1) The Dive Lodge is still available. Somebody who was staying there mentioned it was $40/nt, which is cheap. Basically just a dorm room.

2) The drive to Raleigh was just under 3 hours. Very pleasant and easy drive.

4) Sounds about right! The three wrecks I dove were all deeper offshore ones. Max depth and dive times:

Aeolus Dive 1: 99ft, 38 min.

Aeolus Dive 2: 100ft, 37 min.

Caribsea Dive 1: 84ft, 39min

Caribsea Dive 2: 85ft, 42 min.

Spar Dive 1: 102ft, 41 min.

Spar Dive 2: 74ft, 42 min.

5) I took the generic version of Dramamine. Most people on board wore scopalamine patches.

6) Interesting. I've only done one day of diving in FL and two in CA, so even more limited experience in those regions, but both ops handled the tanks. I am a Divemaster and so I do prefer to set up my own gear, and I'm happy to analyze the mix of the tanks I am renting, but I could do without hauling the tanks to/from the boat. If I'm paying $200 for two dives, I think an op should be able to put the tanks on the boat for me. Having the staff just stand there and watch me seemed unnecessary.

7) We took a number of morning and evening walks on the beach at Atlantic Beach and it was lovely. My girlfriend basically just hung out there whilst I was out diving (she only has 8 dives, so... definitely not ready for NC diving!).

8) Agreed. These are the largest sharks I have seen on a non-baited scuba dive.

First day was choppy on the way out, calm on the way back. Second day was choppy both ways (nothing crazy though). Third day was extremely calm to/from. Sounds like I had relatively calm seas.

Just to comment on the CA side, if you use boat tanks most of the charters I've seen experienced here have them on the boat waiting for you. If you bring your own tanks, then it's on you to haul them on/off.

Getting back to NC and the wrecks is on my to-dive-list but the long rides and frequent weather cancellations (which I fully get, open ocean conditions are not something to screw with) are always a concern. But I used Olympus the time I was out there and everything still lines up with what has been covered in this thread. Can't remember if it was Olympus or one of the there operators down that way but one had this list of all sort of requirements that was just odd.

frequent weather cancellations
This is worth expanding on. I often see dive club/shop trip offerings to NC, but they tend to aim for around 2 days or so of diving. The dives are fairly shot, what if you have your heart set on diving the sunken German U-boat and they don't hit it those 2 days, or conditions are rough and one or two days they dive the closer inshore wrecks without any sand tiger shark sightings, or as you mention, weather just plain cancels your trip?

I went a week, and it was worth a week's trip. There are things do to topside. The North Carolina aquariums. Last I heard, I think there was a 'serpentarium' and Battleship North Carolina in Wilmington (I didn't visit those). The region has some sandy beaches.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom