Help with gear configuration for Intro to Cave class.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You obviously haven't read SDN before you commented that the "DIR people" - aka MHK, et.al. - don't get into the flamefests.

MHK makes a PRACTICE of getting into flaming wars over there.

The difference between "there" and "here" is that "there" nobody censors anything - you post it, its there.

And boy, is it there.

Genesis once bubbled...
You obviously haven't read SDN before you commented that the "DIR people" - aka MHK, et.al. - don't get into the flamefests.

MHK makes a PRACTICE of getting into flaming wars over there.

The difference between "there" and "here" is that "there" nobody censors anything - you post it, its there.

And boy, is it there.
I agree there are flamefests galore over there, but what I felt was deplorable was this "behind the back - I told on you - my daddy can beat up your daddy crap". Taking someone on in an online argument face to face is nowhere near as deplorable as "reporting" someone on another list, IMHO.

I won't argue about arguing with you...you have WAY more experience than I do :D

Of course, there's a new forum around - and you know which one that I'm talking about O-ring - where such is common practice. In fact, I just got done reading some of that "behind the back" stuff over there.... :eek:

Seems that Quest has nothing on Deco Stop in that regard... at least if my reading of it is accurate.

So..... let's see.... you have several forums where the "behind the back" stuff is common.... hmmm....

The only real difference I can see is that you have to pay to look at Quest, and IMHO you've gotta be nuts to do so given the other resources around.

The BAUE page about Paul's DIRF was put up in January of this year.

I wouldn't imagine he took the class long before that.

Genesis once bubbled...
Of course, there's a new forum around - and you know which one that I'm talking about O-ring - where such is common practice. In fact, I just got done reading some of that "behind the back" stuff over there.... :eek:

Seems that Quest has nothing on Deco Stop in that regard... at least if my reading of it is accurate.

So..... let's see.... you have several forums where the "behind the back" stuff is common.... hmmm....

The only real difference I can see is that you have to pay to look at Quest, and IMHO you've gotta be nuts to do so given the other resources around.
...but some forums are regulated in such a way that you can't speak your mind on them. Maybe that is what happened here and I am way off base. I guess you couldn't tell someone you wanted to "b*tch slap" them here and get away with it. Good point.

It doesn't change the fact that the mob bashing over there is painful to read. The signal to noise ratio on quest has gotten extremely bad as of late.. We are not paying to hear you guys bash people on other boards or for people to crosspost pictures from the frogkick site...we are paying to learn about DIR from the horses' mouths.

Genesis once bubbled...

Yes when people talk they gossip. I guess it isn't polite but in this case there were attempts and/or threats by Quest members to take action based on the content of the gossip.

I post something about a phony class and am sent to trials. I apologize and admit that my joke went a little too far.

Now, I'm still being hammered by a bunch of weekend DIR-F guys who still have a paper OW cert card (due to recent certification, if you guys remember what a paper card is). Here's the deal, **** you and **** quest. I retracted the statements that I made because I felt that it hurt diving. Now, I'm telling you to stick a cork in you piehole and shout Hallelujah.

You pukes are pathetic. If you are going to send me a bunch of **** e-mails, why use hotmail and yahoo addresses that were created yesterday. That stinks of cowardice. I respect several members of the DIR community and will continue to dive with some of them (unless the GOD of Diving finds out). As for the weekenders with no idea of what it's like to be comfy in the water and have fun without being stressed, **** YOU!

For the record, my small dives are great fun and very safe. Nobody dies and nobody gets bent. I am well trained by people with a lot more salt water experience than most of your heroes. Caves are hyped, but cave diving is not very difficult. Conditions don't change very often (if diving backmount, which conveniently, is DIR), no boat ride on rocking water, and great viz (some places).

Jonnythan, I tood DIRF before there even was a BAUE. I think I posted my original report to the scubadiving board (rodale's BBS).

In any case, it seems that the rumors are flying hard, so I'll just say that I've also completed Tech 1 and that was some time ago. Not that any of this should matter. FWIW I have a whole bunch of PADI, TDI, IANTD etc. certifications that are all worthless as far as I'm concerned.

I hope this makes you guys happy, and we can talk about the meat of the issue now instead of comparing the length of our youknowwhat's.

O-ring once bubbled...
Then, the sock puppets (we call them lemmings up my way) talk about how much of an idiot Diversherpa is and about how he needs to be "bit*h slapped" (that is a direct quote).

O-ring, I agree that beign polite is better than smacking people over the head. Others in GUE/DIR feel different. That is the way it is. There are many many nice people in DIR/GUE that you can deal with, such as (I hope) myself. Even though I've been insulted repeatedly in this thread I have not responded in kind, and even went so far as apologizing to Dive Sherpa about the misunderstanding. You'll note that nowhere did I call anyone a stroke, talk about bodybags, b-slapping or anything like that.

There are a lot of fake DIR classes out there, and this is also a big problem. Pointing out to people that someone is not qualified to teach DIR, is a perfectly reasonable thing to do, IMO. If you disagree, I'd be happy to discuss it with you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom