Help with gear configuration for Intro to Cave class.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Braunbehrens once bubbled...
So which is it? Do you or do you not teach DIR?

Asked and answered...

Divesherpa once bubbled...
I removed the joke that was so offensive as well as clearly stating that I don't teach DIR courses, but for $72,000, I will, even if I have to hire one of the GUE instructors to help.

I'm sorry we can't lay this issue to rest, it would be very easy for you to simply say that you don't teach DIR, and that the whole thing was a joke. If this is indeed the case, then you are not dishonest and greedy. It would all come down to me having misinterpreted a dubious joke.

If this is what happened, then I apologize sincerely. I think DIR is the way to go, but if you want to dive and teach something else then that is your perogative.

So which is it? Do you or do you not teach DIR?

In this space I called Braunbehrens a series of bad words because he refused to take direction from anyone in the list about reading the list. I am going to take that back as well. Have a nice day Mr Braunbehrens.
Cheers
Jamie

I'm still not convinced that my dive experience has anything to do with this. You point out yourself that it is misleading. Anyone who doesn't know what they are talking about will eventually trip over their own feet. You can fool some people sometime, but you can't fool all the people all of the time.

I'm not here to convince anyone. That's the main reason I choose not to post too often to forums such as this one.

What I'm saying is that the 'american way' is based on education. You are not going to change the world by telling everyone that you'd rather not disclose your GUE trainng but that everyone should take you as the 'word' for DIR. Unfortunately that's not going to work. For it to work in our 'world' you have to prove that you have the formal education to be able to 'talk' DIR. And from your waffeling on the subject, I'm leaning toward that you are either a DIR-F sockpuppet, or have failed a GUE T1 or C1 course, yet you have 'seen the light' and need to convert the world at large.

Dude, let me clue you in.....people will dive the way they want to. They will not listen to you unless you can give them a dive resume that somehow 'wows' them or 'sways' them that you know what you are talking about. No matter what, people will dive the way they want to no matter if they know if they are at risk to themselves or their buddies. You have to pick the fights to fight and let the 'others' learn from their mistakes. If you don't, you will burn out and become frustrated. You can't change the world single handidly.

I know where you are coming from, honest I do. Learn from your GUE instructors (they weren't DIR sockpuppets, were they?) Dive the way you want to dive and dive with like minded people. Those with the desire to learn and those who 'get it' will sooner later 'get it'. It's like the old harley saying......If you don't understand you wouldn't get it if I explained to you.

All I'm saying is if 'we' don't fight the anti DIR group they will lose interest and won't fight 'us' anymore. Is that so hard to understand? The world is big enough for us all to do what we want.

I admit now with all of your dodging the issue, I'm curious. What GUE courses have you taken? And which ones did you fail? Do tell.

Mr. Blue,
for what it's worth, I support DIR for the most part. I agree that most people will benefit from DIR, at least in some way, shape, or form.

DIR is merely not applicable to most of my diving because I choose for it not to be.

Braunbrehrens, either listen to Mr. Blue, or STFU. You are only proving our point that the wannabe DIR guys are complete CF's with no idea of what they are talking about, either through experience or training.

Thanks Spectre, I'm a newcomer to this forum and somehow missed the post where he said that he doesn't. I think our posts crossed and then it jumped to where I just saw my post on the bottom and assumed it was the last one.

As I have said, I retract my statement that Dive Sherpa is dishonest, since he doesn't teach DIR.

That being said, I think it's a little weird to just delete all these posts. I also think it's inappropriate to have all this name calling. It certainly doesn't make for a civil discussion.

Mr. Blue, you don't seem to get that this discussion is not about whether DIR is superior or not, it is about someone claiming to teach DIR who isn't qualified to do so.

Let's put this issue to rest now, since it's been settled.

Mr. Blue, I'm sorry, but I don't think that dropping our pants and getting out the ruler is going to settle anything. I've seen people with lots of experience do very dumb things. Diving is a sport where you can get away with a lot and for a long time. This does not make you an expert, nor does it make it safe. It just makes you lucky.

Boy oh boy you folks have been busy while I've been away.

As was already said Divesherpa came out very early on today and stated very clearly that he did not teach DIR

Braunbehrens,

I'm sorry you went through so much trouble. I think all here knew Divesherpas intension from the start. I was informed this morning that someone cross posted from an old post on this thread to Quest and a bunch started jumping on Divesherpa. From there on it was mostly clowning with a little irritation. I didn't take anything you said as an attack. Actually you sounded a little concerned. You don't need to be. Divesherpa isn't any danger to me. If I'm not mistaken he isn't even teaching any classes I could take. I'm also an instructor and at least for now I think I teach about everything he teaches. Although I might be prangster enough to take a DIR class from if he would teach it for a reasonable price

Just kidding!!!!

To all,
While I reserve the right to argue with anyone who I think is full of sheep dip I am not anti DIR. We have many DIR advocates on this board who are knowledgeable and helpful to everyone, including me. I have nothing but respect for those who seek to improve their diving skill, safety and enjoyment.

jonnythan,

Maybe we'll get to do a dive someday.

lookit all the fun I missed... that's what I get for being out diving instead of sitting inside pounding away at a keyboard like you fellas.

But then after reading this pile of... after reading this thread I don't think I coulda stayed with it anyway.

Good job of getting everyone arobic Sherp! :D

Paul... tell 'em your credentials... what's it gonna hurt. :D

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

Thanks, Pug. I can't take credit for this one, at least, not recently. I snuck out for a quick swim this afternoon, but I was so excited about getting roasted on Quest that I had to come back and "extinguish" :flamy: the flames.

I self edited the slamming on Paul because I felt bad. Poor fella can tell people how to dive, but can't read a board.

lookit all the fun I missed... that's what I get for being out diving instead of sitting inside pounding away at a keyboard like you fellas.

But then after reading this pile of... after reading this thread I don't think I coulda stayed with it anyway.

I wish I had your hours.

But by all means Paul, tell us what will it hurt. Why don't you tell us Pug?

It's unnecessary chest pounding. I don't like it. I also don't have any patches on my drysuit.

I'm glad someone got wet, I wish I could have gotten away.

Are you up in seattle?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom