Help with gear configuration for Intro to Cave class.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Braunbehrens once bubbled...
There are only a couple of people outside GUE who are qualified to teach DIR, and they don't teach. Dive Sherpa is not a GUE instructor, AFAIK has not completed a GUE class, and George Irvine didn't teach him.

You might want to ask Divesherpa about that part.
DIR is not something that anyone can just make up, it's a system developed by George Irvine and Jarrod Jablonski, and it encompasses more than how you route your long hose.

Again we know who they are and what it is.
No, Mike, I'm not interested in measuring di<D<D log book sizes, nor do I think it's relevant. However, if you are getting into caving, are taking fake DIR classes, and are that concerned about who has the bigger log book, then I seriously worry about your safety.

I'm sort of into it. I haven't invented anything or set any world records but I've done a few dives. Florida is kind of far so we only get there 4 or 5 times a year but we dive Missouri caves often. In fact I ran into Divesherpa at Cow springs a while back. Have you dived Cow?

Taking DIR classes? Well I'm trying to sponsor a few this year but we're having a hard time filling them so we'll see.
Let's put this discussion to rest. You have been warned that Divesherpa does not know anything about DIR, even though he claims he does.

This is the part we have yet to establish, I think.
Let me make this perfectly clear: Anyone who says that they solo dive, can BY DEFINITION not understand DIR. If you would like me to, I will get George Irvine to confirm this for you. He is the guy who invented DIR, and I'm certain that of the 3 of us he has by far the biggest log book, if that matters to you.

If you could get GI to do something for me I would appreciate it if he would stop bad mouthing cave divers in general. I think he should learn some mannors and stop needlessly insulting guys like Tom Mount, Sheck Exley and many others. I also think that if he is to continue to badmouth the NSS-CDS his project should give up their NSS project status. Do you think you could get him to do that?
Is that clear enough?

OK, now if you want to go on and do what you want to do, it's up to you. You have the information.

Be safe, and have fun.

It's clear with me. You?

It was a joke. There is no DIR PADI cavern class. You guys are hilarious.

I have a toilet I can piss in.

I wish you all the best.

Mike, give it a rest. I have no reason to justify squat to this group of individuals. They can't take a joke so let's allow them to rage on for a few days about how I'm a ****ty instructor and they are such better divers. I find it comical to see all the rage in this group.

Cheers,
Jamie

I let the TDI and SDI instructor ratings expire when renewals were due. I currently only teach through PADI.

I have deleted the posts that were offensive in an attempt to cool this off. I have received 30+ e-mails from DIR fanatics for insulting their beliefs. This is all too funny and proves the point that some of you guys are getting hysterically out of hand.

Keep up the good work!
Jamie

Divesherpa once bubbled...
It was a joke. There is no DIR PADI cavern class. You guys are hilarious.

Well...maybe you gave another PADI cavern instructor the idea and they will offer one. (insert wicked evil laugh with whites of eyes showing)
I have a toilet I can piss in.

I wish you all the best.

Mike, give it a rest. I have no reason to justify squat to this group of individuals. They can't take a joke so let's allow them to rage on for a few days about how I'm a ****ty instructor and they are such better divers. I find it comical to see all the rage in this group.

Cheers,
Jamie

I let the TDI and SDI instructor ratings expire when renewals were due. I currently only teach through PADI.

Heck sherp, I don't care what they think but...Even though I'm only a rookie cave diver and have barely put a dent in technical diving, I'm sick to death of the recently DIRFed with 20 reef/quarry dives under their belt lecturing and talking down to everyone just because they think they finally figured out hovering.

I suppose I should be bigger about it but it is the internet, I'm not in a good mood and I would be just as happy to take em all on now. LOL ....:boxing:

PS, you have a good attitude when I grow up I wanna be like you.

Divesherpa once bubbled...
I have deleted the posts that were offensive in an attempt to cool this off. I have received 30+ e-mails from DIR fanatics for insulting their beliefs. This is all too funny and proves the point that some of you guys are getting hysterically out of hand.

Keep up the good work!
Jamie

DIR fanatics who dive? You mean the real ones?
Good man. My complements, but the only way my posts are going to be deleted is if a mod does it. Give them my e-mail address. They don't seem to want to talk here.

ferrara@pwrtc.com

:1st:

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

I'm sick to death of the recently DIRFed with 20 reef/quarry dives under their belt lecturing and talking down to everyone just because they think they finally figured out hovering.

PS, you have a good attitude when I grow up I wanna be like you.

It has nothing to do with lecturing or talking down. Claiming to teach a certain style of diving without having a clue what it is just to rake in more money smacks of greed and dishonesty.

Mike, I hope you think about what I've said. When you do any technical or cave diving you take your life in your hands, as you probably know. Diving alone, or with the wrong buddy can be very dangerous, and I speak from experience.

Ask yourself why Dive Sherpa removed all those messages. There must be a reason.

When I first took a look at DIR I thought that most of them were real jerks. However, I listened anyway, because we are talking life support. Who cares how the message is delivered, what matters is the content of the message.

Even if you think I'm an a hole, you should still look at the facts.

Good luck in your diving, and don't take any wooden nickels.

I'd be interested in hearing what GUE classes you have taken and passed:)

I fail to see how the classes I've take have any bearing on this discussion. Dive Sherpa said he teaches DIR, I've pointed out that he's lying. I'm certainly not the ultimate source when it comes to DIR, but any idiot can go and look at the wkpp or gue pages and see that solo diving and DIR simply don't mix.

I don't see why this is such a big deal, and I don't understand why someone would want to claim to teach DIR when they obviously don't. The only reason I can come up with, is that then this person could also teach those people who want to learn how to dive DIR. This is dishonest.

What I also find suspicious is that Dive Sherpa will only dive DIR if he's being paid, and charges twice as much for DIR classes. This means that most of the time he does not dive DIR. How could he possibly teach a style of diving that he normally doesn't practice?

I would love to lay this to rest, but I don't think that it's ok for someone to teach a certain style of diving if they don't know anything about it. This is not golf. It's life support. Misleading people in this sport is dishonest and dangerous.

Mike obviously doesn't want to listen, but maybe others will.

Braunbehrens once bubbled...
Let me make this perfectly clear: Anyone who says that they solo dive, can BY DEFINITION not understand DIR. If you would like me to, I will get George Irvine to confirm this for you.

Please explain this comment.

So you are saying that there is no way someone can go through and learn the DIR system, and choose not to use it?

I'm not saying thats the case here, but stating that someone can't understand the DIR system because they dive solo is rediculous. It's like saying a pilot can't understand helicopters because he flies jets...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom