Help with gear configuration for Intro to Cave class.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Braunbehrens once bubbled...
There is no "DIR based". You either teach DIR and know what you are doing, or you are misleading people. Solo diving in a wet suit is not DIR, and saying "I prefer not to dive DIR" is a tip off that you can't teach DIR.

What do you want him to do solo dive in the nude?
DIR is not just about wearing the proper equipment.

For most it is
I would warn anybody away from "Dive sherpa". He sounds very dishonest, and it seems to me he just wants to make more money by "also teaching DIR".

Dishonest implies that you cought him telling a non-truth. Where? I think you are dishonest or just got off a boat or something.
Before you send someone into a cave you ought to accept some responsability for what you do and what you don't know, and not mislead them.

Maybe you would like to list your credentials so I can compare them to my future instructor Mr. Divesherpa's. For all you may know you may be warning me away from a very good instructor. Shouldn't you be honest about what you know and don't know?
And please, "all in good fun" WTF is that supposed to mean? You teach cave "all in good fun?" Cave diving is far too dangerous and serious to be taken so lightly. Yes, you can have fun doing it, but you don't mislead people and then say it was in "good fun".

I'll go slow. Try to follow F....U....N means having a good time, telling a joke, doing something you enjoy. Not only is cave diving fun but sometimes it can be funny. Work is serious. You are serious but cave diving and chat sites are for/in fun. Did that explain WTF it means?

There is no "DIR based". You either teach DIR and know what you are doing, or you are misleading people. Solo diving in a wet suit is not DIR, and saying "I prefer not to dive DIR" is a tip off that you can't teach DIR.

DIR is not just about wearing the proper equipment.

I would warn anybody away from "Dive sherpa". He sounds very dishonest, and it seems to me he just wants to make more money by "also teaching DIR".

Before you send someone into a cave you ought to accept some responsability for what you do and what you don't know, and not mislead them.

And please, "all in good fun" WTF is that supposed to mean? You teach cave "all in good fun?" Cave diving is far too dangerous and serious to be taken so lightly. Yes, you can have fun doing it, but you don't mislead people and then say it was in "good fun".

How old are you? I'm guessing somewhere around 15 due to your lack of understanding of adult matters like honesty.

Have you ever been in a cave? I don't have anywhere near the experience that many have in a cave, but of the last 500 hours I was in a cave, I was having fun and being safe at the same time. That's the purpose.

Who are you, again? I gained so much useful information from your profile. You are completely anonymous. You talk **** without a name, number, or anything else. Very brave of you.

Relaxing and having fun is the name of the game for some of us. That is what I teach. You obviously weren't taught that way. I bet you were taught by a roids freak with a very deep voice and a complex about themselves.

Oh, and tell your buddies on quest that no-mount is a type of diving where you see cave that strict DIR divers will never see. Better yet, tell everyone that they'll die if they no-mount. Leaves more cave for me

Good luck with your diving. I sincerely hope that you learn to lighten up. :)

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

What do you want him to do solo dive in the nude?

71 degrees fahrenheit=Shrinkage

Dishonest implies that you cought him telling a non-truth. Where? I think you are dishonest or just got off a boat or something.

Don't use big words like honesty, Mike. He may not use the dictionary.

Maybe you would like to list your credentials so I can compare them to my future instructor Mr. Divesherpa's. For all you may know you may be warning me away from a very good instructor. Shouldn't you be honest about what you know and don't know?

Oh, give it a break Mike. Anyone who would believe an anonymous poster who talks smack wouldn't be welcomed in my class. Since I teach for fun, not profit, I only accept students who want to dive and have fun. The last class (finished on the April 17th) was 1 Korean lady, 21 years old, 1 Kenyan lady, 20 years old, 1 Greek gentleman, 24 years old, and 1 American male, 22 years old. The class cost me $250 to teach. I received $500 for the class from the students. There were 5 3+hour pool sessions, 5 OW dives, and several discussions since that time.

Whoever this anonymous **** is can kiss my ass. My students dive like fish because I put in the time.

I'll go slow. Try to follow F....U....N means having a good time, telling a joke, doing something you enjoy. Not only is cave diving fun but sometimes it can be funny. Work is serious. You are serious but cave diving and chat sites are for/in fun. Did that explain WTF it means?

I want to be this dude's friend, but I don't think that is going to happen.

Cheers,
Jamie

Where do you get anonymous from? Are you blind? I use my name as my handle, unlike you.

I am not interested in a shouting match and personal attacks, but I'll answer any reasonable questions. My age, dive experience and so forth really have nothing to do with this discussion, and let's pass over the moronic statements like "don't use big words, he might not understand them". That really shows the level YOU are on, not the level I am on.

The reason I said that there is more to DIR than equipment, is simple. However, it looks like you are only interested in aping some of the more obvious aspects of DIR, rather than dive DIR. I actually don't have a problem with that, but I do have a problem with people who call what they do DIR when it very obviously isn't. That, my friend, is dishonest.

I have taken classes from several different agencies, and I can tell you from experience that GUE and DIR are a real eye opener, if done right. However, if aped, or done wrong, they can be down right dangerous.

Let me give you one example. DIR is a system that includes as part of it's core the concept of the dive buddy. You NEVER dive solo. It also includes the concept of only taking what you need, and keeping things as simple as possible.

With these two tenets in mind, a DIR diver is equiped in such a way that part of his redundant equipment is on his buddy. The danger of simply aping DIR and using the gear configuration, is that when you then dive solo, or dive with someone who is not well trained, you end up with inadequate equipment for what you are doing.

I could go on, but I'd prefer to simply answer any questions that come up. I don't mind having a conversation, as long as it's civil and about diving.

I do stand by my statement that DiveSherpa is dishonest in pretending he knows ANYTHING about DIR.

Where do you get anonymous from? Are you blind? I use my name as my handle, unlike you.

I am not interested in a shouting match and personal attacks, but I'll answer any reasonable questions. My age, dive experience and so forth really have nothing to do with this discussion, and let's pass over the moronic statements like "don't use big words, he might not understand them". That really shows the level YOU are on, not the level I am on.

The reason I said that there is more to DIR than equipment, is simple. However, it looks like you are only interested in aping some of the more obvious aspects of DIR, rather than dive DIR. I actually don't have a problem with that, but I do have a problem with people who call what they do DIR when it very obviously isn't. That, my friend, is dishonest.

I have taken classes from several different agencies, and I can tell you from experience that GUE and DIR are a real eye opener, if done right. However, if aped, or done wrong, they can be down right dangerous.

Let me give you one example. DIR is a system that includes as part of it's core the concept of the dive buddy. You NEVER dive solo. It also includes the concept of only taking what you need, and keeping things as simple as possible.

With these two tenets in mind, a DIR diver is equiped in such a way that part of his redundant equipment is on his buddy. The danger of simply aping DIR and using the gear configuration, is that when you then dive solo, or dive with someone who is not well trained, you end up with inadequate equipment for what you are doing.

I could go on, but I'd prefer to simply answer any questions that come up. I don't mind having a conversation, as long as it's civil and about diving.

I do stand by my statement that DiveSherpa is dishonest in pretending he knows ANYTHING about DIR.

You might want to ask Divesherpa what his background is before making such assumptions about what he knows about DIR. He might just be qualified to have a DIR opinion.

As for the DIR explaination you can save the energy. We know what it is honest.

I think your diving experience is relevant to the discussion. That way we can keep the discussion such that we can all can keep up ok. Do you want to start or should I?

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
I think your diving experience is relevant to the discussion. That way we can keep the discussion such that we can all can keep up ok. Do you want to start or should I?

You're the best Mike :D

There are only a couple of people outside GUE who are qualified to teach DIR, and they don't teach. Dive Sherpa is not a GUE instructor, AFAIK has not completed a GUE class, and George Irvine didn't teach him.

DIR is not something that anyone can just make up, it's a system developed by George Irvine and Jarrod Jablonski, and it encompasses more than how you route your long hose.

No, Mike, I'm not interested in measuring di<D<D log book sizes, nor do I think it's relevant. However, if you are getting into caving, are taking fake DIR classes, and are that concerned about who has the bigger log book, then I seriously worry about your safety.

Let's put this discussion to rest. You have been warned that Divesherpa does not know anything about DIR, even though he claims he does.

Let me make this perfectly clear: Anyone who says that they solo dive, can BY DEFINITION not understand DIR. If you would like me to, I will get George Irvine to confirm this for you. He is the guy who invented DIR, and I'm certain that of the 3 of us he has by far the biggest log book, if that matters to you.

Is that clear enough?

OK, now if you want to go on and do what you want to do, it's up to you. You have the information.

Be safe, and have fun.

Divesherpa once bubbled...
In the DIR based cavern course (which is not a GUE course), we follow DIR principals (drysuit, doubles, complete DIR setup). In the other course, I teach the way that I feel is appropriate for other environments.
S**t SNIPPED

DiveSherpa old son... not sure what kind of instructor you are in the classroom and in the water, but you are doing a ****ing poor job of marketing your courses. Didn't any of your IT's tell you about brand loyalty? What level do you hold with TDI by the way?

Doppler

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom