Help with Buhlmann ZHL-16c GF

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you know if the Shearwater Desktop has a dive planner that mirrors the Petrel's? If so, THAT is what would be useful for this. Using the dive planner on the Petrel itself would be a bit tedious.

I asked Shearwater that question, and they said they did not. They referred me to MV Plan, which is a fairly simple planner with a free download. As an experiment recently, I ran a profile through MV Plan (30/70), V-Planner (VPB-B Conservative +2), and a Petrel (30/70), and surprisingly enough, the V-Planner profile was closer to what I got with the Petrel than MV Plan. Sitting back and thinking about it now, I still find that hard to believe, so I wonder if in my haste I might have screwed something up.

Do you know if the Shearwater Desktop has a dive planner that mirrors the Petrel's? If so, THAT is what would be useful for this. Using the dive planner on the Petrel itself would be a bit tedious.
Edit: already answered by boulderjohn

I think what scubadada means is that the MultiDeco planner plans deco dives. It doesnt give NDL times. Or at least I dont know how to do this. The Petrel though, in recreational mode, will plan NDL dives.

regrettably, nope

(we all need to get Ross to update his old add-in to work in MultiDeco w/ the petrel....)

At around the same time I (a no-deco stop diver) bought my Petrel, I got Multi-Deco, thinking I was going to play around with it in much the way you describe. I haven't gotten around to doing that, but this thread--and your post in particular--have reignited my interest in doing it.

Maybe it will ignite your interest in deco stop diving! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

regrettably, nope

(we all need to get Ross to update his old add-in to work in MultiDeco w/ the petrel....)

Can't happen I'm afraid. Many years ago we made a Shearwater dive log program, but when we pointed out some persistent errors in the recorded dive log data, Bruce threw the toys out of the pram, and that was the end of that.

We have a new feature in MultiDeco, where you can import a dive profile picture as a backdrop image. Then you can plan over the top of it and build a dive plan that closely resembles what you just dived.

As boulderjohn has discovered above, there is quite a wide variance in the output of different ZHL/GF planners and programs. The ugly truth is that some are badly made, some have added their own extras and changes, and some have many options to control configurations and output. Bottom line is that two GF programs, making the same plan, do not align well.

In our MultiDeco, we have very closely followed the GF method specifications from its designer - Erik Baker. The gold standard of GF programs would be the one reviewed by Erik Baker, which is Decoplanner by GUE. Happily our MultiDeco and Decoplanner are very consistent in the plans and output of ZHL/GF.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom