Help with Buhlmann ZHL-16c GF

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, what are the two others? (With thanks for the post of course.)
Those are related the way its works in decompression stops, and how GF is not a consistent method across the dive profile spectrum. I normally reserve that discussion for the tech forums.

I've owned MultiDeco for several days now and have had a chance to experiment with simulated dives using Buhlmann ZHL16C + GF. I've learned a tremendous amount by entering a stock, relatively short decompression dive, or series of dives, and then varying the GF hi, GF lo, or both. Observing the pattern (deeper and shallow stops) and the duration of the stops has been extremely educational. I highly recommend this kind of activity for other divers like me who would like a better understanding of their decompression algorithm. I also have a new appreciation for computers that run this algorithm for the transparency of running and adjusting it.

Though I have not taken them for spin, MultiDeco also runs VPM-B, VPM-B/E, VPM-B + GFS, and Buhlmann ZHL16-B + GF

Good diving, Craig

Reactions: Jax
I've owned MultiDeco for several days now and have had a chance to experiment with simulated dives using Buhlmann ZHL16C + GF. I've learned a tremendous amount by entering a stock, relatively short decompression dive, or series of dives, and then varying the GF hi, GF lo, or both. Observing the pattern (deeper and shallow stops) and the duration of the stops has been extremely educational. I highly recommend this kind of activity for other divers like me who would like a better understanding of their decompression algorithm. I also have a new appreciation for computers that run this algorithm for the transparency of running and adjusting it.

Though I have not taken them for spin, MultiDeco also runs VPM-B, VPM-B/E, VPM-B + GFS, and Buhlmann ZHL16-B + GF

Good diving, Craig

At around the same time I (a no-deco stop diver) bought my Petrel, I got Multi-Deco, thinking I was going to play around with it in much the way you describe. I haven't gotten around to doing that, but this thread--and your post in particular--have reignited my interest in doing it. However, it was exactly the idea of playing around with Multi-Deco that got me thinking about how gradient factors relate to no-stop diving.

Good diving, Craig

We expect a full report when you have completed your analysis! :wink:

Those are related the way its works in decompression stops, and how GF is not a consistent method across the dive profile spectrum. I normally reserve that discussion for the tech forums.
And MultiDeco, my favorite recent purchase. Particularly helpful in this thread as it runs Buhlmann ZHL16-C with GF MultiDeco dive decompression software - VPM-B and ZHL deco. Thanks Ross, it's teaching me a lot.
Scubadada.Have you considered requesting your thread moved to advanced/tech?

At around the same time I (a no-deco stop diver) bought my Petrel, I got Multi-Deco, thinking I was going to play around with it in much the way you describe. I haven't gotten around to doing that, but this thread--and your post in particular--have reignited my interest in doing it. However, it was exactly the idea of playing around with Multi-Deco that got me thinking about how gradient factors relate to no-stop diving.

Using the dive planner on your Petrel may be as useful or more useful to you as using MultiDeco. The latter does not give you the NDL, just the surfacing strategy, including, no stop. I believe, only the GF hi dictates the NDL for no stop diving. In tech mode, you would be able to vary the settings to a much greater degree than in the rec setting

---------- Post added October 2nd, 2015 at 11:37 AM ----------

Scubadada.Have you considered requesting your thread moved to advanced/tech?

It's a toss up. I would respect whatever the mods advised. I think many advanced divers do light deco on an irregular basis as a planned decision. I think we're in a gray zone here. Perhaps, by definition, we're in tek. I think the lines have become somewhat blurred. Would be interested in knowing what others do, think

As in not really NDL-specific? -- I read the original as "for NDL planning... that problem and two more..." hence the question.

---------- Post added October 2nd, 2015 at 01:48 PM ----------

I think we're in a gray zone here. Perhaps, by definition, we're in tek. I think the lines have become somewhat blurred. Would be interested in knowing what others do, think
I think it's the computer section, it doesn't specifically say "basic" or "tek".

I am not sure where the best place for this thread might be. It is certainly a very interesting and informative one, and I have been following it carefully. It has both Tech and Recreational aspects, although it is definitely tilted toward tech. The only real reason I can think to move it from here would be the belief that it might attract more readers, as it deserves. If people in general feel that this thread belongs somewhere else, I'll move it. This is not the sort of thing that needs a big moderator discussion to make a decision.

I also sent a PM to the Shearwater representative about this thread in the hope of gaining that input.

Using the dive planner on your Petrel may be as useful or more useful to you as using MultiDeco. The latter does not give you the NDL, just the surfacing strategy, including, no stop. . . .

Do you know if the Shearwater Desktop has a dive planner that mirrors the Petrel's? If so, THAT is what would be useful for this. Using the dive planner on the Petrel itself would be a bit tedious.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom