Help with Buhlmann ZHL-16c GF

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadada

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm confused and could use help

I have read that Buhlmann intended using no higher than 90/90. Liquivision Lynx offers a default option of 100/100. Shearwater offers a rec setting of 45/95 and states that it matches PADI/NOAA NDLs. Though I cannot confirm, I've heard Oceanic PZ+ without conservatism runs something like 45/95. I've read that many choose to dive something like 30-40/85. I've also read that some, wishing to avoid deep stops, dive something like 75/85.

Can someone help shed light on this topic? More and more good computers appear to be running Buhlmann ZHL-16c with GF (Shearwater, Liquivison, Seabear, Dive Rite, Divesoft, xDeep...)

Shearwater offers a rec setting of 45/95 and states that it matches PADI/NOAA NDLs.

Really? PADI RDP does not match NOAA, so how can 45/95 (or *any* GF) match them both?

ask 10 different people for their opinions about gradient factors and youll get 11 different answers.

Not if you ask 10 people who know what they're talking about.

I am sure the links posted above will cover this and answer your question, but 100/100 is the Bulhmann deco algorithm. The gradient facts are percentages of the Bulhmann formula. Less than 100% gradient factors are more conservative and gradient factors greater than 100% are less conservative than the standard Bulhmann.

Can someone direct me to where Shearwater says what its recreational GFs are?

A primer on gradient factors:

Gradient Factors for Dummies

Best book in the world:

Deco for Divers: A Diver's Guide to Decompression Theory and Physiology: Mark Powell: 9781905492299: Amazon.com: Books

Best to read and understand and decide for yourself.

The article on Andy's site was not useful beyond my current understanding. I have the previous edition of Deco for Divers and have read it several times, is the new edition significantly different/updated?

A primer on gradient factors:

Gradient Factors for Dummies

Best book in the world:

Deco for Divers: A Diver's Guide to Decompression Theory and Physiology: Mark Powell: 9781905492299: Amazon.com: Books

Best to read and understand and decide for yourself.

I hope this was not meant for me! My question was not about GFs, which I actually think I understand pretty well.
My question was about the alleged statement from Shearwater that their recreational mode is 45/95, and that it matches PADI/NOAA tables.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom