Future of OC trimix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The point was when very deep, CCR is safer than OC. You have not said anything about that except claiming with out proof that it is not. Lives lost after OC to CCR transition does not meen dives before and after were equally very deep.
It's not the depth it's the complexity and the speed a situation can get out of control on a rebreather compared to OC. I know a rebreather would kill me

The point was about very deep, one is better than the other.

Likely do to the massive cylinders required for OC becoming worse than the inherent complexity of the CCR.

Wibble described that no one does extreme dives on OC anymore. Do you believe him? Do you believe the people doing the dives understand the OC vs CCR trade offs?

Wibble described that no one does extreme dives on OC anymore. Do you believe him? Do you believe the people doing the dives understand the OC vs CCR trade offs?
Absolutely, but divers planning on doing very big dives or definitely planning on using a rebreather very deep should go straight onto it and forget about OC, An open circuit diver using a rebreather to save a few pound on helium to go to 160 feet is a mistake. He,s taking on more risk for nothing. There is a case for using a rebreather shallow if your making very long nitrox dives with no deco and bailout is simply.

Ah, ok. It took a long time to get that clear. In your mind, mid range the risk is too much. But shallow and deep it is fine. Fine.

Conversely are you suggesting that people would choose open circuit over rebreathers for extreme dives?

Conversely are you suggesting that people would choose open circuit over rebreathers for extreme dives?
I'm not suggesting anything new. I just read what the CCR folk do and say. I assume you're asking mac64.

I understand row boats are simpler than motor surf rescue boats. Yet the coast guard uses surf rescue boats with their more complex systems and larger well drilled crew to go out in the big nasty water that you would never take a row boat in. And once you lash ten or so row boats together they are no longer that simple. But that is just stuff I read....

Absolutely, but divers planning on doing very big dives or definitely planning on using a rebreather very deep should go straight onto it and forget about OC, An open circuit diver using a rebreather to save a few pound on helium to go to 160 feet is a mistake. He,s taking on more risk for nothing. There is a case for using a rebreather shallow if your making very long nitrox dives with no deco and bailout is simply.
Since migrating to CCR I cannot see any reason for diving on OC given the benefits of CCR — except for bailing out

Ah, ok. It took a long time to get that clear. In your mind, mid range the risk is too much. But shallow and deep it is fine. Fine.
For some people, not talking about myself but if your someone that likes to throw your gear in the garage after a quick dip and pick it up tomorrow for another, don't go near a rebreather.

For some people, not talking about myself but if your someone that likes to throw your gear in the garage after a quick dip and pick it up tomorrow for another, don't go near a rebreather.
I'm fairly meticulous. I spray down on site and soak at home. I deal fairly well with complex systems.

But agree. Some people should not dive rebreathers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom