Future of OC trimix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

? Execute lost line procedures.

Sitting there racking up deco doesn’t make a lot of sense.
It was a long time ago when I read this. But I think there was no guideline. One of those ‘clear water, I can see light from the here, I’m good, what could go wrong?’ I forget how it got silted out, but it turned out that the black ash from the fire exploded when disturbed to cover the entire compartment and then settled really slowly. And the space that seemed perfectly inviting and safe was pretty much impossible to navigate blind.

It was a long time ago when I read this. But I think there was no guideline. One of those ‘clear water, I can see light from the here, I’m good, what could go wrong?’ I forget how it got silted out, but it turned out that the black ash from the fire exploded when disturbed to cover the entire compartment and then settled really slowly. And the space that seemed perfectly inviting and safe was pretty much impossible to navigate blind.
And I think the ship was on its side as well, just to further confuse things.

It has been many years since I read that story. Think it was on rebreather world, if anyone saved the old stuff before the site imploded.

That’s a big yikes for sure

On a 150m dive, a CCR is definitely safer. Hell, on a 100M dive it is safer.
No it isn't. Equipment failure is more likely. A dive is only as safe as the bailout you may have to use.

No it isn't. Equipment failure is more likely. A dive is only as safe as the bailout you may have to use.
What has your rebreather, 100m and 150m dive experience and training been?

You don't have to be a genius or experienced to know the deeper and more complex a dive is the more the risk, a rebreather is more complex and less forgiving than OC. It's frankly ridiculous to argue that a rebreather is safer than OC. The question that should really be asked is not how many have died on rebreathers but how many have been saved by bailing out onto OC.

A 150m/500ft dive is possible on open circuit. You’d be extremely constrained on bottom time and have very little scope for change. You’d have exceptionally heavy equipment with massive backgas and 4 or more decompression stages. You’d need support divers and protocols.

A 150m/500ft dive on a rebreather would be less constrained on bottom time and backgas. Bailout would be to a bailout rebreather not open circuit bailout. Whilst it is a significant dive, it’s nowhere near as extreme as it would be on open circuit.

Nobody does "extreme" dives on open circuit any longer. Just like nobody listens to vinyl records— unless being trendy and prepared to put up with extreme limitations and costs.

They did not say deeper was not risky. They said when really deep, CCR is safer than OC.

They did not say deeper was not risky. They said when really deep, CCR is safer than OC.
It's not. And the proof of that is very experienced diver's have lost their lives after moving from OC to rebreather. Its a more complex and riskier system. And there,s actually a good argument for divers to go straight to rebreather and completely skip OC. 20 or 30 years of diving OC is going to do nothing for you when there's a problem on a rebreather. The habits of OC are not good on a rebreather.

The point was when very deep, CCR is safer than OC. You have not said anything about that except claiming without proof that it is not. Lives lost after OC to CCR transition does not meen dives before and after were equally very deep.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom