Future of OC trimix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm fairly meticulous. I spray down on site and soak at home. I deal fairly well with complex systems.

But agree. Some people should not dive rebreathers.
Sorry wasn't talking about you at all , was just saying in general.

Oddly, the most complex part of my CCR is the OC part. A reg set even has more o-rings than my CCR. Granted I chose my CCR specifically for this reason.

And I think the ship was on its side as well, just to further confuse things.

It has been many years since I read that story. Think it was on rebreather world, if anyone saved the old stuff before the site imploded.
This one is kind of similar - Stuck in a 60m wreck for 20mins. I'll see if I can dig up that other story. I remember it, but not sure if I saved it anywhere.

This one is kind of similar - Stuck in a 60m wreck for 20mins. I'll see if I can dig up that other story. I remember it, but not sure if I saved it anywhere.
If you can find that story that would be great. I have been watching this thread hoping someone would post a link to the CCR lost in a wreck story being discussed. I read it ages ago but can't find it anywhere on SB.

On the original subject of helium, this thread has been really helpful. I have been considering going the OC Trimix route after two years at the AN/DP level, but the costs of Helium (even here in FL), are making me rethink. Still not sure if I am ready to drop the $$$ for a rebreather though ....

I could but I would still get narced hence my plan to do it on trimix instead.
How about 30m/100ft?
Or 27m/90ft?

Both are subject to short NDLs — 20mins, 25mins and very easily doable with an hour or more on the bottom with some decompression.

I do wish this focus on helium would stop as it misses the point. You need ANDP to:
  • go past NDLs on nitrox
  • use helium as this implies diving beyond NDLs
To put it another way, helium is only part of the story

How about 30m/100ft?
Or 27m/90ft?

Both are subject to short NDLs — 20mins, 25mins and very easily doable with an hour or more on the bottom with some decompression.

I do wish this focus on helium would stop as it misses the point. You need ANDP to:
  • go past NDLs on nitrox
To put it another way, helium is only part of the story

My current depth limit self imposed is 100 feet because of the narced issue.

Once I complete AN/DP I plan on doing 80 90 foot range stuff on nitrox with deco for a decent bottom time. Anything below 100 will be on trimix.

• go past NDLs on nitrox
Past NDL and gas switch comes with the light deco classes (limited to 10 to 15min back gas, but can accelerate with 50 or 100% O2 depending on the class), like Deco 40. And rec trimix will get you He as long as O2 is 21% or above, without needing past NDL.

But yes, to be allowed longer deco you need AN/DP or similar.

It's easy to incur deco at 100 ft with very conservative GF settings (assuming you use that). Should be able to dial in whatever deco time the AN/DP instructor wants you to hit. For example, GF 35/40 gives 30 mins accelerated deco on 100% (25 min bottom time on air).

IOW, deco is not synonymous with deep.

When I open my dive center, I will supply trimix to CC divers only. While I will likely never teach rebreathers due to the level of experience/expertise I believe it entails, I would support CC instructors teaching mod 2. But OC? Too much of a waste.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom