Future of OC trimix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It seems as though we are 2nd to the party balloon industry; it hasn't ended well for them and I hope we don't suffer a similar fate.

The conservation statement isn't mine, it's GUE's. I linked to it to suggest an inconsistency between standards and their mission statement. I ride a bike or a skateboard every morning to drop my kids off at school and I frequently ride my bike the 4 miles to my shop...pedaling is faster and cheaper than driving in Sillycon valley.

My DD is a lifted 4x4. I don't care what you drive or what you dive; I do care about consistency in thought and action.

I am not interested in being your personal lexicographer , pick a definition and I will use it. Pettifogging semantic arguments don't address my point.

Perhaps but not my intent.
Without defining waste it’s hard to say that they’re wasting it though. If open circuit tech diving helps conserve the oceans is that helium still wasted?

There are a lot of statements and bylaws groups put in place that ignore the reality we live in but feel good. I am all for conservation and embrace the need for change but we don’t have the foundation at this point. You can drive an EV but the power source charging it is run by fossil fuel. You can try nuclear power but what do you do with the waste? Benefits to EV is for the end user with gas price savings. If we want change it will take technology that impacts the foundation, not the end user.

I was supposed to finish OC AN/DP/Helitrox this summer (didn’t finish last summer due to scheduling issues). My sources up to three hours away couldn’t guarantee they’d be able get enough helium or any. I know shops with a contract that are on a waiting list that has a three month back order. Some shops will only fill for CCR. I was talking about helium situation with my instructor and she recommended going CCR now. I was already ready and thankfully had most of the money in the scuba fund for it. Just moved around some other funds temporarily to make up the difference.

That’s why I won’t be finishing OC AN/DP/Helitrox and am going CCR this year instead of next year. I put down my deposit to get a spot in line a few days ago and my specific unit was ordered today. Probably won’t have it until late summer. They’re booming.

Just doing AN/DP without the Helitrox is not an option for me due to how badly I get narked at 130ft. It would be brutal, and frankly, dangerous at 145ft.

I have four 85s filled with 20/20 sitting in my living room. They were filled for class days last year that didn’t happen. I’m saving those for CCR Helitrox, which I hope will be next year.

There are sources of helium 5-7 hours away, but that’s just crazy. Better to go CCR now as that will be better than SM for my wreck diving anyway.
Elmer’s Watersports in Evanston has Helium.

Sources here that have helium are paying increased amounts for it. Doing OC trimix if you can get it is getting cost prohibitive.

Our local dive shop just recently reduced their price for Helium to $1.75/cuft.
That is impressive. Did they find a good wholesale source or are they just emptying the tanks to get out of trimix business?

That is impressive. Did they find a good wholesale source or are they just emptying the tanks to get out of trimix business?
I am pretty sure they are passing on a price reduction from their supplier. I don't believe the owners have any intention of getting out of the trimix business.

I am not trimix certified yet, so I haven't been following this thread too closely -- just adding another data point.

Sources here that have helium are paying increased amounts for it. Doing OC trimix if you can get it is getting cost prohibitive.
Prices have come down from last year. Roughly $3.00 per cubic foot. I also have access to a large amount of "free" helium that's been sitting in their 7 year old K-bottles. I'm sticking to OC up until $5-6 per foot. After that, ROV time.

Prices have come down from last year. Roughly $3.00 per cubic foot. I also have access to a large amount of "free" helium that's been sitting in their 7 year old K-bottles. I'm sticking to OC up until $5-6 per foot. After that, ROV time.

They haven't come down here

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom