Future of OC trimix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So is a dive boat. The helium supply isnt nearly as dire as people believe it to be. There is roughly a 110 year supply at 2014 consumption rates just in the US.

So your response is basically it’s fake news?

Using approximately 1% / year of a finite resource seems extremely incompatible with conservation. I sure hope your a fan of fusion and lunar mining.

The question is what are current gathering rates for helium?

Real or fake news all industry's that use it are feeling the lack of supplies. The dive industry is probably considered to least important outside of party balloons.

So your response is basically it’s fake news?

Using approximately 1% / year of a finite resource seems extremely incompatible with conservation. I sure hope your a fan of fusion and lunar mining.
That figure was ignoring the new mines in Africa and other locations. The shortage is supply side because of the privatization of the blm helium reserves and the mismanagement that came after.

Diving is a comically low consumer of helium compared to other users.

That figure was ignoring the new mines in Africa and other locations. The shortage is supply side because of the privatization of the blm helium reserves and the mismanagement that came after.

Diving is a comically low consumer of helium compared to other users.

I’ll leave it up to everyone to do their own homework with respect to reserves vs resources, production vs usage rates, replenishment via radioactive decay etc.

Undiscovered resources doesn’t change the fact that helium escapes earth, that demand is outpacing supply, and for now we don’t have a viable long term solution.

My primary point is that helium is a finite resource (radioactive decay excluded) and wasting it is antithetical to the stated goal of conservation. If you want to blow helium bubbles and you can afford it more power to you , but at least acknowledge it is contrary to stated mission goals.

One of GUE’s pledges is a focus on conservation.

GUE Conservation Pledge

How do you reconcile the somewhat cavalier use of helium with this pledge?

Wasting a finite resource seems incompatible with conservation. Earlier use of CCR minimizes the waste.

As a bad analogy ; driving large SUVs is bad for the environment but I’m going to do it anyways cause it’s safer.
Speaking of analogies, who is more wasteful, the Tahoe owner who dives locally or the Prius owner who flys around the world to dive? Have you considered not diving at all and taking up jogging?

The volume of helium that exists is irrelevant if your supplier can't get it for you.

The question is what are current gathering rates for helium?

Real or fake news all industry's that use it are feeling the lack of supplies. The dive industry is probably considered to least important outside of party balloons.

It seems as though we are 2nd to the party balloon industry; it hasn't ended well for them and I hope we don't suffer a similar fate.

Speaking of analogies, who is more wasteful, the Tahoe owner who dives locally or the Prius owner who flys around the world to dive? Have you considered not diving at all and taking up jogging?

The conservation statement isn't mine, it's GUE's. I linked to it to suggest an inconsistency between standards and their mission statement. I ride a bike or a skateboard every morning to drop my kids off at school and I frequently ride my bike the 4 miles to my shop...pedaling is faster and cheaper than driving in Sillycon valley.

My DD is a lifted 4x4. I don't care what you drive or what you dive; I do care about consistency in thought and action.

I think you need to define "waste"

I am not interested in being your personal lexicographer , pick a definition and I will use it. Pettifogging semantic arguments don't address my point.

So dramatic

Perhaps but not my intent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom