Future of OC trimix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I open my dive center, I will supply trimix to CC divers only. While I will likely never teach rebreathers due to the level of experience/expertise I believe it entails, I would support CC instructors teaching mod 2. But OC? Too much of a waste.
Have done three dives over this (long) weekend totalling about 5 hours.

In that time I used about 120 bar of oxygen (=360 litres) and 90 bar of diluent (=210 litres). Oh, and my Revo had enough scrubber for all three dives -- so it'll cost me 1.3kg in lime.

The equivalent OC dives would have used 3 x twinsets of backgas plus 3 stages of deco gas (you NEED high pressure gas for redundancy). Whilst it's possible to mess around with half-filled back-gas plus a bottom stage, it's just not right. Thus it's the equivalent of 5000 litres x 3 = 15000 litres of backgas and the stages of deco gas.

When I open my dive center, I will supply trimix to CC divers only. While I will likely never teach rebreathers due to the level of experience/expertise I believe it entails, I would support CC instructors teaching mod 2. But OC? Too much of a waste.
You would fill my dil, right? It is two HP100s. 3500psi please.

Have done three dives over this (long) weekend totalling about 5 hours.

In that time I used about 120 bar of oxygen (=360 litres) and 90 bar of diluent (=210 litres). Oh, and my Revo had enough scrubber for all three dives -- so it'll cost me 1.3kg in lime.

The equivalent OC dives would have used 3 x twinsets of backgas plus 3 stages of deco gas (you NEED high pressure gas for redundancy). Whilst it's possible to mess around with half-filled back-gas plus a bottom stage, it's just not right. Thus it's the equivalent of 5000 litres x 3 = 15000 litres of backgas and the stages of deco gas.
There's also the logistics of helium in the Greek islands. Very few places have helium. In the islands I only know of Kos, but they are a CC shop, not sure if they support OC.

There are places on the mainland, but those are simpler logistics.

2 x 12 litre = 24 litres x 232bar = 5,568 litres -- no idea how many Californian Footballs that is.

Thankfully air is free and oxygen is cheap. Just have to worry about the petrol now.

Well, I am in the process of planning for a class in two weeks. I just checked with my helium supplier, and he will not have any. I am now scrambling to find some.

Speaking of which, when will it be?
Would love to jump over to dive with you

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom