Future of OC trimix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, will you fill bail outs? How about some banked gas for filling my DIL at home?
My dil is my bailouts. I dive a Fathom and my only onboard gas is a 30cuft O2 bottle and a 30cuft inflation bottle. My "dil" is a set of sidemount HP100 tanks. Now if I visited @wetb4igetinthewater shop, I would just switch to some 50cuft sidemount bottles. :)

If you can find that story that would be great. I have been watching this thread hoping someone would post a link to the CCR lost in a wreck story being discussed. I read it ages ago but can't find it anywhere on SB.

On the original subject of helium, this thread has been really helpful. I have been considering going the OC Trimix route after two years at the AN/DP level, but the costs of Helium (even here in FL), are making me rethink. Still not sure if I am ready to drop the $$$ for a rebreather though ....
Here's another one.. http://www.bretgilliam.com/assets/waiting-for-the-light.pdf

Is ASD accurate on the RAID 40 course? Is a BOT cross referencing standards from a different website?? And are we just letting it run free on scuba board to see what happens? And has it been confirmed that its a BOT and not just a troll?

I mean it's very impressive technology and will be the downfall of the internet, so I'm in favor of the experiment, but shouldn't it be labeled or something, so people stop arguing with it?
Yep, accurate as to RAID standards. Deep40 (the no-deco deep speciality) has a trimix option, and the Deco40 also has one.
If you can find that story that would be great. I have been watching this thread hoping someone would post a link to the CCR lost in a wreck story being discussed. I read it ages ago but can't find it anywhere on SB.

On the original subject of helium, this thread has been really helpful. I have been considering going the OC Trimix route after two years at the AN/DP level, but the costs of Helium (even here in FL), are making me rethink. Still not sure if I am ready to drop the $$$ for a rebreather though ....
Are there no shops in FL that rent out rebreather? Lamar set up a shop here with Optimas, so you could do the course, rent units as required, and then buy or switch to a different unit later if the Optima didn’t match your needs. Was pretty popular till the Covid killed peoples spending money.

Everyone keeps using this “10k for a CCR and then another 10k for training“ number as if it is gospel, I see lightly used CCR for sale in the 3-5k bracket constantly on FB and EBay, here where I am a mod 1 is about 1000-1500 USD And we have about 3 CCR instructors in the country.

^This is the most interesting part of the thread to me - the concept of skipping OC Trimix entirely and moving on to rebreathers after AN/DP. Time to start saving...

Well, I am in the process of planning for a class in two weeks. I just checked with my helium supplier, and he will not have any. I am now scrambling to find some.
Welcome to the new world? Where are you teaching it?

Everyone keeps using this “10k for a CCR and then another 10k for training“ number as if it is gospel, I see lightly used CCR for sale in the 3-5k bracket constantly on FB and EBay, here where I am a mod 1 is about 1000-1500 USD

£10k for the CCR kit is about right in my experience. My friend bought a £2500 Inspiration rebreather and has spent an additional £3000 and it still wants more. My Revo has been exceedingly reliable, just one RMS probe failure.

It’s like a car; old ones are frequently at the end of their life.

Training is way less than 10k. There’s only three courses: MOD1, MOD2 and MOD3. Each requires tens/hundreds of hours of experience and practice.

There's also the logistics of helium in the Greek islands. Very few places have helium. In the islands I only know of Kos, but they are a CC shop, not sure if they support OC.

There are places on the mainland, but those are simpler logistics.
Crete has helium and ccr shop Chania diving center. Just was diving with them.

Crete has helium and ccr shop Chania diving center. Just was diving with them.
True but Crete has a highway of a ferry system. There is so much ferry traffic with the largest ferries used in Greece back and forth from four cities on the north coast. It isn't like the little island that I'll move to.

Welcome to the new world? Where are you teaching it?
If I can get the helium, I will be teaching it at Rock Lake, a 280 foot deep sinkhole on private property in New Mexico.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom