Future of OC trimix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

you should be glad -NZ price for Baloon grade
That is about what we pay for UHP He, which is why I don't use it. We don't have baloon grade as such just commercial grade which is 99.0% He good enough for diving.

When I started looking at doing trimix OC in 2012 I was so jealous of the those seppos who were paying around $50 for a T cylinder which I think is equivalent of our G cylinder when I was looking at paying $400 for a G. Since then (2014) Australia started extract He in Darwin through LNG processing, and we became self sufficient in He. I completed OC trimix bought a G of He did a few trimix dives post course quickly realised OC trimix was a mugs game, 12 months later I had a rebreather and 3 months later I was mixing my own trimix dil.

Tomorrow I've a 40m/132ft wreck dive. I've put three of my rebreather cylinders in for test and am using another three cylinders for that dive.

Wanted a light helium mix but the diluent cylinder's full of 14/50. If that were open circuit I'd be crying myself to sleep tonight. But on the rebreather it's just a few bucks for the ~50 litres of helium I'll be using.

Tomorrow I've a 40m/132ft wreck dive. I've put three of my rebreather cylinders in for test and am using another three cylinders for that dive.

Wanted a light helium mix but the diluent cylinder's full of 14/50. If that were open circuit I'd be crying myself to sleep tonight. But on the rebreather it's just a few bucks for the ~50 litres of helium I'll be using.
No one is going to use 14/50 on OC at 40m either.

No one is going to use 14/50 on OC at 40m either.
No one plans to use 14/50 on OC at 40M.
Goes back to the planning on a 60M dive but conditions are not right when you get there. But there is a 40M site you can dive.
Do you do the 40M dive on 14/50 knowing it is a waste of He? Or do you not dive at all so save the precious gas for another day?
Or run a rebreather and the little amount of He wasted isn't a big deal.

How has the helium hunt progressing?
A friend of mine who is out of town for a while had a supply bottle in his garage. It was a long haul to get there, and I caught a nail and a flat tire along the way, but I now have enough with what I had on hand to do the weekend. In fact, we just finished putting together the initial fills by combining left over this and left over that, and a little puff of this and a dab of that....

Now, about next month's dives....

No one plans to use 14/50 on OC at 40M.
Goes back to the planning on a 60M dive but conditions are not right when you get there. But there is a 40M site you can dive.
Do you do the 40M dive on 14/50 knowing it is a waste of He? Or do you not dive at all so save the precious gas for another day?
Or run a rebreather and the little amount of He wasted isn't a big deal.
Forecasts are very accurate, if there's a likelihood of having to move to another site then bring the bottom gas for that if on OC. No different than bringing a rebreather and bailout. Exactly what sites are you referring too. Not many 60m sites that are blown out when you get there, where you have the option to go to a 40m one

Forecasts are very accurate, if there's a likelihood of having to move to another site then bring the bottom gas for that if on OC. No different than bringing a rebreather and bailout. Exactly what sites are you referring too. Not many 60m sites that are blown out when you get there, where you have the option to go to a 40m one
I ran into a similar situation last year on the Great Lakes. Forecast looked great for the wreck we wanted to hit at 55m, but whenever we got up there the winds had shifted and turned everything up in that area. We ended up on a wreck at 30m instead. It is not uncommon to run into this situation in the Great Lakes. I've had buddies who took gas out for a 60m dive and ended up on ones that were 25-30m instead.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom