Future of OC trimix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rebreathers are so much more flexible than open circuit. They're a lot safer too given the myriad options for resolving issues before resorting to a full bailout.

Memories of a dive boat doing three 60m/200ft dives on consecutive days. On a rebreather this means using two ali80 bailouts and bringing one spare diluent and oxygen (you'd get two dives out of one diluent/oxygen cylinder, maybe three). Gas and lime costs for all three dives circa $60, probably less.

Was diving open circuit then. I simply couldn't bring enough kit with me for the three days, only doing two days. I had to bring two twinsets plus five ali80s (2x50%, 2x80% and a bottom stage with backgas). I had to use two marina trolleys to move that lot and it nearly killed me pushing it up a ramp (needed to enlist the help of a bystander too). Cost me $300 for gas alone for the two dives.
Small portabe compressor is very handy for long weekends where none is available. You can decant and pump whatever you need. And use what you didn't use on the previous dive. I'll only use 50% oxygen for deco as I can pump it.

Small portabe compressor is very handy for long weekends where none is available. You can decant and pump whatever you need. And use what you didn't use on the previous dive. I'll only use 50% oxygen for deco as I can pump it.
... or use a rebreather :cool:

Ghe, ghe...30+ meter MOD 1 certification dive last weekend. Used 15 bar oxygen, 40 bar diluent out of 3 liter tanks. Had to do all kind of skill drills like bailout, flushing, etc. Dive time over an hour with quite a lot of time at 30 meters (even slight deco). During a normal dive I would not even used half the gas I used on this dive.

Rebreathers are so efficient, it's hard to imagine for an OC diver how efficient they are.

I do understand where you're coming from wibble, you enjoy your rebreather and everything it involves, but I made 5 dives over the weekend for less than 50 euro Including fuel ( 2 at 40m.) Admittedly the weather was exceptional and I was able to use a small inflatable and 8hp outboard.

Very intelligent, how long did it take you to think of that ? Of course it can happen but you can use air or nitrox in 40m or less not 18/50. No need for the spurious argument for rebreathers. It's only divers stuck with rebreathers that have to use them, OC divers have a lot more choices. They can dive the gas they wish to use not the one they have to. I can dive all the wrecks I wish to on air and it's free. And then there's always that one diver that looks up at the sky and says " I think the weather is going to change maybe we should cancel or move to a shallow dive,"
Yep, it sucks for those of us stuck with rebreathers.
But we carry on, blissfully unaware of the superiority of OC deep air diving.
I'm guessing you are a quarter turn back guy right? You know, for safety.

Yep, it sucks for those of us stuck with rebreathers.
But we carry on, blissfully unaware of the superiority of OC deep air diving.
I'm guessing you are a quarter turn back guy right? You know, for safety.
And you have to justify the use of a very expensive toy at 40M and then say its because its cheaper to run than OC hilarious.

And you have to justify the use of a very expensive toy at 40M and then say its because its cheaper to run than OC hilarious.
I don't justify anything. I dive what I want for conditions that warrant.
When you only have a hammer, everything is a nail.
I prefer to have a variety of tools to suit the job at hand.

And for my 40m dive this weekend... Turns out the visibility's improved; the spring algal bloom is still in place so the water's snotty, but you can see as far as 4 metres -- woo hoo!

An hour scootering around the wreck and an hour's decompression. What's not to like. Oh, the helium bill due to the rich mix which is about $6.

Obviously nature abhors a smug b'stard, so for balance there was a pee valve plumbing issue. Now have clean underclothes -- woo hoo!

I don't justify anything. I dive what I want for conditions that warrant.
When you only have a hammer, everything is a nail.
I prefer to have a variety of tools to suit the job at hand.
Its still not cheaper to drive the nail with a laptop, I know it can be done. If you enjoy your rebreather that's another thing.

And for my 40m dive this weekend... Turns out the visibility's improved; the spring algal bloom is still in place so the water's snotty, but you can see as far as 4 metres -- woo hoo!

An hour scootering around the wreck and an hour's decompression. What's not to like. Oh, the helium bill due to the rich mix which is about $6.

Obviously nature abhors a smug b'stard, so for balance there was a pee valve plumbing issue. Now have clean underclothes -- woo hoo!
The hour decompression. I actually didn't realise the decompression times are a lot longer on a rebreather. Have you a large conservatism factored in. Is that the usual run time.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom