Future of OC trimix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How much should you you bring in case the evil Voldemort not only incapacitates your rebreather, he also creates a landslide in the cave so that you have to go put another tunnel with more than 1.3 miles of extra distance?

It's Darth Vader you really have to worry about, on his now ghost form he doesn't have to breath.

It's Darth Vader you really have to worry about, on his now ghost form he doesn't have to breath.
Once you realize you have to plan for all scenarios, the possibilities are dizzying.

The person who did not have a hand on the guideline when the siltout occurred and does not know where it is.
? Execute lost line procedures.

Sitting there racking up deco doesn’t make a lot of sense.

The person who did not have a hand on the guideline when the siltout occurred and does not know where it is.
I'd clip my safety line and search for the line. Definitely wouldn't sit scratching my head waiting for the silt to clear. Never heard of someone sitting and waiting for silt to clear before doing a search.

Well if not all, what situations do you not plan for. Bailout out is supposed to replace the main system. On open circuit I'll plan for all scenario's.
Bailout DOES replace the main system. So it's there if your rebreather fails, and then you just make a direct ascent to the surface, with all necessary stops.

But of course I don't plan for ALL scenarios. And of course you don't either, on OC. For example, and relevant to the scenario you are addressing in this thread, you don't plan for simultaneous significant failures, right?

If you are asking me what I would do if I COULDN'T directly ascend to the surface (lost line in a cave, or severely silted out wreck, AND my CCR failed), I don't have a plan for that. I guess hope I find my way out before I run out of bailout?

You don't have a plan for simultaneous failures on OC either. What are you going to do if you lose your deco bottle AND you blow an LP hose so you don't have enough back gas to do your deco?

And of course we both know that we're trolling each other, but since it's two weeks until dive season, I'm kind of bored so I'm doing it. But I am interested in the point that you are ostensibly making.

The statement that you seem to have a problem is that there are scenarios where a CCR will give you a survival advantage that you don't have on OC. It's a pretty simple and obviously correct statement, and I don't understand why you don't agree with that. No one said that CCRs are always safer than OC.

What are you going to do if you lose your deco bottle AND you blow an LP hose so you don't have enough back gas to do your deco?

And your partners tanks orings blow out.....yes I'm bored as well.

Ok I'm done trolling now.

Bailout DOES replace the main system. So it's there if your rebreather fails, and then you just make a direct ascent to the surface, with all necessary stops.

But of course I don't plan for ALL scenarios. And of course you don't either, on OC. For example, and relevant to the scenario you are addressing in this thread, you don't plan for simultaneous significant failures, right?

If you are asking me what I would do if I COULDN'T directly ascend to the surface (lost line in a cave, or severely silted out wreck, AND my CCR failed), I don't have a plan for that. I guess hope I find my way out before I run out of bailout?

You don't have a plan for simultaneous failures on OC either. What are you going to do if you lose your deco bottle AND you blow an LP hose so you don't have enough back gas to do your deco?

And of course we both know that we're trolling each other, but since it's two weeks until dive season, I'm kind of bored so I'm doing it. But I am interested in the point that you are ostensibly making.

The statement that you seem to have a problem is that there are scenarios where a CCR will give you a survival advantage that you don't have on OC. It's a pretty simple and obviously correct statement, and I don't understand why you don't agree with that. No one said that CCRs are always safer than OC.
A rebreather is never safer than OC. You can't talk about the rare occasions when it may save you and leave out the occasions that it will kill you. All I'm saying is people can't tell the OP he's safer switching to a rebreather. He's not.

A rebreather is never safer than OC. You can't talk about the rare occasions when it may save you and leave out the occasions that it will kill you. All I'm saying is people can't tell the OP he's safer switching to a rebreather. He's not.

There's the rare occasion it is, but to your point, it's not something you ever plan for. Here's a reality though: certain dives aren't feasible or even possible without a rebreather.

So yes, you can argue semantics, but on the whole this discussion is really about someone hoping to do technical dives in trimix range. The arguments don't even matter if helium isn't available.

Been out diving today and back on this thread…

1). Rebreathers give you options. They are complex but there’s plenty of failure modes that don’t need a full bailout. Most rebreather dives are constrained by the maximum bailout you can carry, hence extreme dives would use bailout rebreathers and decompression rebreathers. Way off topic.

2). ANDP is literally about the processes, skills and planning for decompression. Helium isn’t part of that. For entry level technical diving— E.g. MOD1 levels to 45m/150ft — helium presents no particular dangers nor are there any special planning nor skills implications; it’s all about reducing narcosis. This pretty much applies to normoxic/MOD2 depths too.

3). Helium isn’t going to get cheaper in the near future. OC helium simply isn’t cost effective when it hits $5cf/17.66cents/litre. A CCR consumes a minuscule amount in comparison to OC, say 1% of an OC dive.

4). To do ANY decompression diving requires the skills from ANDP even if not using helium due to exceeding the NDLs on a shallow dive — that’s only 30mins at 30m/100ft. Who on earth would anyone choose to do dives that short?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom