For the Women...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yea. I can't disagree about the BP/W but just for a sake of alternatives I thought I'd mention TransPac. That is what I got for myself first. After trying back plate I just liked it more :)

However, I don't have a bad word to say about TransPac, and if you are not ready for a plate it's a worthy option, modular and comfortable. In comparison to other similar 'pacs' from other companies, it did not have so 'manly' (read: wide and hard) shoulder straps but sat nicely on narrower/bonier shoulders too. There were many sizes available, so women aren't left playing second flute to men like with so many regular BCs. Also, what I liked was that it mated with wings from many companies, so you could choose beyond Dive Rite's options if desired.

For regs, I dive with Poseidon's Cyklon and have no problems but other people telling me that it is weird and wrong :wink: Breathes great.

Double post

Obsessed?:
Not everyone "loves" BP/W. The key to purchasing dive equipment is to try as much as you can, and buy what works best for you. Here is a good hint: try not to take advice from people that talk (and write) about diving more than they are actually diving, and never take advice from people that say things like "the only thing that will work" and "the only way to dive is" and things of that nature. Most people really do not know what they are talking about, so personally I'd be very wary about taking disembodied internet advice from people I have no idea who they are.

Most of us here on the Board dive more than the average diver. We're here on the Board because of the addiction...and we can't be in the water all the time. With only 2 posts, I wouldn't be so quick to make judgements like that.

I have a Zeagle Zena and absolutely adore it! I started diving with a SeaQuest Diva and it didn't take long before I realized I couldn't stand it, particularly the air cell wrapping around my body.

The Zena is basically a corset with a wing attached. It's a very simple BC, but has 3 fit points and 3 removable sections that give it the ability to be custom fit. The fit points are 2 body straps, one that you cinch down at the waist (first), one mid-body that you tighten second, then the shoulder straps you tighten last. The 3 removable sections are the shoulder section, the body panel, and the wing. You can mix and match depending on your body type and whether you need more lift. If you dive cold but travel to warm areas, you can literally have 2 wings that you switch out depending on the lift you need. The Zena is also made in the USA and has a lifetime guarantee.

For regs, I have Zeagle Envoys for both primary and secondary. They breathe extremely easily, had perfect ratings on ScubaLab testing, have a lifetime guarantee, and are very reasonably priced. The Envoy Deluxe has a fine tuning adjustment knob, which if I were buying now, I might look into more closely, but frankly haven't felt a need for one thus far.

Dive-aholic:
Most of us here on the Board dive more than the average diver. We're here on the Board because of the addiction...and we can't be in the water all the time.

The "average" diver does about 10 dives per year - "more than [the average diver]" isn't really all that much diving. My personal opinion is that if you do 50 or more dives per year over a 10 or more year period, that would give you sufficient status and experience on which a worthwhile opinion could be based. No offense intended to those that dive less (and certainly worthwhile opinions can be formulated by those with less experience - I am speaking generally), but I have been observing on this board for quite some time (about 6 months) before joining, and I just see a lot of unsupported (and just flat out wrong) opinions being offered by people with really not all that much diving experience or knowledge. It's easy for me to discount it, but the problem is there are new divers out there that might read it and follow it, much to their detriment. I also have been involved in the internet since Al Gore invented it and find this principle applicable to most internet posting boards. It used to be the phrase "those that can't do, teach." Now the applicable phrase is "those that don't do, post on the internet."

Boy, Obsessed? Why don't you just strap a big sign to your butt that says, "Kick me." :wink:

All the OP asked was what we were using, and what we thought of it. And I don't read anybody on this thread as saying that there is only one way to dive. In fact, the OP now has answers describing several different options. I certainly don't see telling somebody that a BP/W rig is comfortable and works well for me as being "an unsupported opinion" or "flat out wrong".

GratefulJames, is this your sock puppet? I like it better than the model one, just my 2psi:D

Now back to the topic at hand. This person would like some of our thoughts.

I have a Dacor Xtreme Elle and DO NOT recommend it. The handles one is to use to drop the weights in an emergency open too easily. They just aren't in the right spot IMHO they get bumped too easily and open. I am constantly dropping my weight pockets. I am going to be taking it to see if I can have something done with it. Everything else about it is great but the weight pocket thing is cleary a huge problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom