For the Women...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JodiBB

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
What BCDs and reg set-ups are you using? I made this a separate thread because I noticed mainly men were answering on that thread...

I'm looking into purchasing equipment, but I'm not sure what I want...I have my eye on the Sherwood Solaris, but again...I would love to hear the pros/cons of your set-ups and recommendations...

Thanks in advance!

I'm using the Aqualung Titan LX as my primary and an Apeks secondary (can't remember which one).

I originally bought a Seaquest Libra BC, but it never really fit very well (couldn't get it small enough). My mentor lent me a BP/W to try, and he never got it back. The infinite adjustability of the harness is such a nice feature if you aren't a standard size, and the backplate keeps the tank very stable on your back. In addition, the backplate moves weight up between the shoulders, which is handy for me, diving dry and needing a LOT of weight to sink. My rig is an Oxycheq plate and the DSS 30 lb wing.

I absolutely LOVE my gear.

Jodi, first let me say I am a man and am not trying to hijack this thread. My wife also dives, so I'm sharing her thoughts about rigs. I have to second TSandM's comments. My wife and I switched over to BP/W a little over a year after we started diving. My wife just can't say enough good things about it. She loves the streamlining and adjustability of the harness. No bulky straps or big cumberbunds. She also loves the stability of the backplate. She has even dived this rig with just a t-shirt on (89 deg water) and loved it. We also dive Aqualungs, the Legend LX. Easiest breathing reg either of us has tried.

I hate to sound like a scuba board parrot and suggest a backplate and wings, but... as a woman, I can't imagine why anyone would choose a standard bc. Having done some vacation dives in rental gear that never fits right and having lost and gained back and lost weight, I couldn't be happier with my BP/Ws. They are infinitely adjustable, can be totally customized to your individual wants/needs/style, can be changed to suit your whims (blue webbing this week, purple next week...), and work for any tank configuration that you can come up with, from single AL 63s to double 130s. There are a variety of ways to rig a bp/w - hogarthian, crossed straps, quick releases, strap pads... you are bound to find at least one that will be comfortable for you. I will warn that they seem to be habit forming:wink: . I started a couple of years ago with a standard Halcyon Explorer 30 and now I think that I have 4 backplates, 3 wings, lots of webbing and hardware and I am shopping for a 4th wing... I guess what I like best is that if I decided that I don't like something about my bp/w, I can change it - If I don't like the change, I can change that...

Jackie

well, i was gonna answer, but i don't have much to add since everybody stole my lines!!

I use the Zegael Zena. It has an awesome fit, dosen't ride up, twist around anything like that. It is back inflat so there is no squeeze (I hated that). I had alot of problems finding a BC that fit. I have "muscular shoulders" for a girl and a very small waist. Nothing seemed to fit right and be comfortable, I was despairing of ever finding a BC that would fit. Then I heard about the Zena from a friend and tried it. It is a modular system so you can take diffrent sizes and make a custom size. It is also very adjustable within the sizes. the two waist straps keeps it where it belongs, and the vest zip up front dosn't squish anything. It is so quick to get on and off. I am not tring to sound like a product rep or like a testamonial but I really love this BC and was very suprised at the fit of it. Try it for yourself.

My regulator is a Dive Rite 2500Ice and I love it! Breathes just as nice as my husband's Apeks but isn't nearly as expensive. I have the compact console with compass and I like it a lot better than the standard bulky consoles you usually see. A compact gauge console is more expensive but it's well worth the extra money.
Ber :lilbunny:

I dive a Seaquest Libra and I really like it. I have a short torso so the women's BCD was the right way to go for me. I like that it is a back inflate, that it is padded in all the right places (ie lower back), it doesn't have that crazy velcro piece that must go around your waist and always velcros to itself behind your back at the most inconvenient times. I love the intigrated weight system. I will never go back to a weight belt (uncomfortable, slides down, slides around, loosing weights, grrrrr). I have the Air II (Seaquest version) and I really like it. My boyfriend and I have the same set-up except he uses the Balance and we have spent some time in the pool getting used to it. I find that it is so much easier to find my power inflater now that it is bigger. During training I kept grabbing my snorkel. Just my .02.

I have a long torso and am very tall. I dive with a Dive Rite SS backplate and Venture Wing. I've adjusted to fit me perfectly and it also gives me perfect trim. My reg is a Zeagle Envoy and very easy breather.

Not everyone "loves" BP/W. The key to purchasing dive equipment is to try as much as you can, and buy what works best for you. Here is a good hint: try not to take advice from people that talk (and write) about diving more than they are actually diving, and never take advice from people that say things like "the only thing that will work" and "the only way to dive is" and things of that nature. Most people really do not know what they are talking about, so personally I'd be very wary about taking disembodied internet advice from people I have no idea who they are.

Back
Top Bottom