For the Women...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just did an informal email survey with the women divers in my life, and got back 2 BP/Ws and 9 jackets (4 Zeagles, 3 Mares, a Scubapro and a Triple-L). Not all, but a majority, have the women's model of their respective Jacket (7 of 9). What does all this mean? Nothing, exactly. Again, when I counsel my students on equipment purchases, I encourage them to try as many different types of equipment they can for comfort. Then, the type of diving you're going to be doing comes into play (there'a big difference between what you're going to use if you're Tek, than if you're just doing Turks & Caicos bathtub diving). Finally, price is also somewhat of a factor for most people unless you have an unlimited source of funds. So, in the end, best to consult your LDS in conjunction with your Instructor and get busy trying stuff out! What fun!!!!

Obsessed?:
I just did an informal email survey with the women divers in my life, and got back 2 BP/Ws and 9 jackets (4 Zeagles, 3 Mares, a Scubapro and a Triple-L). Not all, but a majority, have the women's model of their respective Jacket (7 of 9). What does all this mean?

It means that you don't know a jacket from a back-inflate BC. Zeagle jackets? I think not.

Obsessed?:
Then, the type of diving you're going to be doing comes into play (there'a big difference between what you're going to use if you're Tek, than if you're just doing Turks & Caicos bathtub diving).

What if you're tec just doing Turks & Caicos bathtub diving?

JodiBB:
...it seems that I need to check out a BP/W-type BCD, or at least a back-inflate at a minimum, as it seems the women here are advocating it.

JodiBB,

My wife has a Zeagle Stiletto, size small. She's not really into local diving, so you're welcome to try it sometime if you'd like. It's a fairly rugged and lightweight back-inflate style BCD with a nice cushy lumbar pad. It's not a woman specific BCD, but she seems to really like it.

redhatmama:
It means that you don't know a jacket from a back-inflate BC. Zeagle jackets? I think not.

I know the difference, but do you? The Zeagle Ranger, Stiletto and Escape are all "Jacket/Vest" style with back inflation...I lumped them all together with the flat out jackets since the question was about BP/W and not BP/W...you are really negative, aren't you?

Hi JodiBB,

I've had good experiences with the Aqua Lung Malibu. It has plenty of padding on the back and shoulder straps, is weight intergrated, has tons of d-rings, and is a back-inflate. It is not made specifically for woman, but the extra small fits even tiny divers like me (110 lb.) Adding more pocket space is the only thing I would ever change about it, otherwise I absolutely love it.

Play nicely or have your posts magically disappear.

the Kraken

Obsessed?:
I know the difference, but do you? The Zeagle Ranger, Stiletto and Escape are all "Jacket/Vest" style with back inflation...I lumped them all together with the flat out jackets since the question was about BP/W and not BP/W...you are really negative, aren't you?

I have a Zeagle Brigade and had a Sherwood jacket :yuck:. A Zeagle is closer to a BP/W than a jacket. I can even use my Brigade bladder on my Zeagle SS backplate that I just got from Rapidiver. :)

I'm not normally negative, but you are a male? come to lecture us womenfolk. :rolleyes:

Well, that's OK R/H. I wasn't 'lecturing' anyone - just offering the responses of 9 Women that responded to my RFI that I sent out trying to be helpful so the OP could have more information relative to her question, which I'm sure you wouldn't deny her access to that whether it came from a male or female (which, again, in fact it came from 9 females). OK, enough of that gender bending - what I think is best, and what most scuba instructors would tell you, OP, is that if possible, go out and try as much equipment as you can and make your decision based on performance and comfort and your satisfaction with what you try. Types, brands, models, marks, are all great, but in the end your personal safety and comfort are what matter the most...I've had many women students and this has always worked for them when we get to the equipment buying part of the program...

Back
Top Bottom