For the Women...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With a BP/W I need only 4 lbs of weight and it is nothing on a weight belt. The integrated weight pockets take up almost all the real estate on the waist strap. I would rather use that for functional pockets.

JodiBB:
I should also mention that I definitely want an integrated weight system...I've dove with the weight belt and with an integrated system...I will never go back to a belt!!!
I started with a weight belt and always wanted to go integrated weights. But then I saw how heavy the BC became and splitting the weight up seemed much easier. Too many people I know have trouble lugging their BC around with all that weight.
Another consideration, is when underwater if you need to remove your BC for any reason (even just for the practice), you are at a much better advantage with a weightbelt on. Just my opinion.
However, this thead is about what BC to buy. I have a Bp/W after years of struggling with ill fitting BC's (used 4 different ones), and am very very happy and satisfied with my rig.

I have the ScubaPro Ladyhawk Back Inflate and I find it comfortable. However, if I could sell it tomorrow (and not lose tons of money) and buy a BP/W I would (but only because I'm switching to a long hose) along with that silly air intergrated computer console I bought on impulse last summer. I would get a Halcyon system which has weight pockets and not a separate weight belt. This is what I have worn for dry suit diving and it is very comfy.

I would never wear a jacket BC. Getting certified in one was bad enough. The Ladyhawk has received good reviews. But so have most of the other female specific BCs.

Great first hand information here! There are so many choices out there it is a little overwhelming, for sure. The best bet, as you've heard, is to try out some things and see what works for you and the type of diving you do.

I tore my beloved BCD last year and ended up in a SeaQuest ProQD (instead of the women's one which didn't fit right). For me it is very comfortable and works just how I need it to. Is the only one out there that will? Not likely...but as it works, is comfy, had nice big pockets with internal clips and my last SeaQuest lasted so well I'll stick with it for now.

Good luck shopping!!

Wow.... this thread is very interesting. By my very unofficial count, it seems that 33% of the responders to this thread use a BP and W setup.

I would have never guessed that we would have had this level of "adoption" of BP setup among the ladies.

I wonder if this is a trend. I suspect that of those that use "standard" BCs, a good number would find a BP set up to at the very least equal to what they currently use. Hopefully retailers are paying attention and at the very least, offer their female customers(or perhaps all their customers) a BP setup as an option.

Adobo:
I wonder if this is a trend. I suspect that of those that use "standard" BCs, a good number would find a BP set up to at the very least equal to what they currently use. Hopefully retailers are paying attention and at the very least, offer their female customers(or perhaps all their customers) a BP setup as an option.

They'll screw it up though. I can see them marketing female friendly BP/W in girly colors :D

Personally I like black. Black is sexy. Regardless of gender :wink:

JodiBB:
Thanks everyone so far for your feedback. I currently am renting equipment at no cost to me (long story...for another thread), so beggars can't be choosers and right now I have a full AquaLung BCD....it seems that I need to check out a BP/W-type BCD, or at least a back-inflate at a minimum, as it seems the women here are advocating it.

Keep your feedback coming! As I get closer to an actual purchase, I want to be able to weed out what I "don't" want...
.....Adding vote for BP/W and agreeing with the reasons already stated.

As a tech instructor, I've rigged quite a few other women with a BP and all have been quite pleased. Ask around; I'm sure you can find a dealer willing to work with you in setting yourself up and letting you try things out before you purchase.

Scuba_Jenny:
I started with a weight belt and always wanted to go integrated weights. But then I saw how heavy the BC became and splitting the weight up seemed much easier. Too many people I know have trouble lugging their BC around with all that weight.
I can see this being a problem, but I take out the weights and leave them in their "pockets" in my bag and put them in at the last minute.

The problem with a weight belt for me is I have those womanly "child birthing" hips that are all bone and no padding....when I've tried the weight belts in the past, they bruised my poor hips...the integrated means was a huge relief to my poor body.

I wouldnt go back to a weight belt, as far as lugging weight pockets around - thats when we start talking about combinations of steel tank and a bit less weight in your pouches

my neice is fortunate enough to need only ankle weights as her tank does the trick

My original BC was weight-integrated. But I found that a) lugging the whole rig around with weights in was hard; b) the only easy way to get the weights in was with the rig on its back, which wasn't feasible on a boat, and c) my shoulders and neck objected to carrying all the weight down to the water.

If you got bruises from a weight belt, was it a webbing strap with hard weights on it? I use an XS Scuba weight belt, which has pockets in which one puts weights, and I use soft weights in the pockets. I can't imagine getting bruised on anything. The pockets ARE bulky and take a little managing (I get my can light battery jammed up against them) but they are very comfortable to wear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom