Florida Springs Trip 02/18/05 - 02/21/05

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

suthnbelle:
Hi Don! I'm glad to see you may be joining us in Florida. There is a cottage and this is the link Charlie posted earlier in the thread. http://www.ginniespringsoutdoors.com/camp.html

I guess we can talk about accomodations the night we chat. Personally, I don't feel like dealing with taking down a campsite after a day of diving. Especially if we're going somewhere different each day. It would be different if we were staying in the same spot for a couple of days. Just my opinion and you all know I have lots of them. :wink:
Don't know if I can make it or not, but - it sounds like fun. Y'all get it planned, and I'll see if I can join y'all - maybe even offer help?

I've been PMing Charly with some ideas, as I didn't want to confuse the thread, but if y'all are interested in Kings Bay, Crystal River for manatee snorkeling - I did that last June with my daughter's family, coordinating for a party of 6! At least y'all would have your own gear. I'd rather do that the morning I'd be flying home. Let me know if I can help?

How far is Crystal River from Ginnie Springs?
From Gainesville:
Total Estimated Time: Total Distance:
1 hour, 40 minutes = 63.4 miles ( 102.1km)

Jason B:
LOL, from my experience with Texans, I'm surprised he didn't say "Florida...what part of Texas is that in?":wink:
Hey Kristi, we haven't met, but Charlie always has good things to say about you (thanks for calling him while we were in our nitrox class-we needed a pee break bad :jump: ).

So it looks like we have...
Charlie (NC)
Kristi (NC)
Jason (NC)
Mel (NC)
Glenn (NC)
Dale (NC)
Don (the great state of Texas)
Matt (& girlfriend...GA)
So where are all our Virginia friends?! Ken, Pedro, Vanessa....I'm concerned that you guys might dry out!

Jason

Happy to help!

I may be able to come along. It will be Jan before I can firm up my calender. It's been a while since I dove any of these springs. Here is another one that is not dove much but is interesting if the group is not too big. It's in Ocala, about 45 mins from DD and BG.
http://underwaterflorida.homestead.com/paradise.html

I spoke with Birds (not Byrds, sorry) Underwater in Crystal River, on Kings Bay.

In case the organizers want to include that {who are the organizers?} - it's their busy season, boats full on weekends, so book well in advance. Check-in is 06:15am, to beat the crowds. Cold weather means more manatees in the warm springs.

But I do not want to be one of those who asks for too much, or distracts from the group's objectives. You can only do so much in a weekend, I know, and - I try to be on time for everything. I would want to sleep in the town the night before, thoug - at the nearby Best Western, preferably. :crafty:

DandyDon:
I spoke with Birds (not Byrds, sorry) Underwater in Crystal River, on Kings Bay.

In case the organizers want to include that {who are the organizers?} - it's their busy season, boats full on weekends, so book well in advance. Check-in is 06:15am, to beat the crowds. Cold weather means more manatees in the warm springs.

But I do not want to be one of those who asks for too much, or distracts from the group's objectives. You can only do so much in a weekend, I know, and - I try to be on time for everything. I would want to sleep in the town the night before, thoug - at the nearby Best Western, preferably. :crafty:

Thanks for all the help Don. We really do appreciate you looking in to some details. We have all the details regarding the trip worked out now. Charlie is going to post sometime soon. He is calling tomorrow for details regarding the sites and accomodations. I hope you decide to join us. The springs aren't that exciting but it is a change, and a chance to go diving!

Just caught my eye with this thread, not that i am that far away to come up to that part of FL anytime :wink:

Don, if you are still going, check out Tampa (TPA), Orlando (MCO), Sanford (SFB), Jacksonville (NIP), Gainesville (GNV), and Ocala (OCF) airports. Maybe the group could pick you up on the way or do a quick trip out or you get your own car? There are a few motels around I-75 x 399 to High Springs. February gets mighty cold to camp - i did it last year at Ginnie, was freezing overnight (ok i know you guys see <30F temps up your way, but its hard on us down here!), i would suggest a real roof or some warm sleeping bags and somewhere dry for your gear!!

Just a quick correction, all the commercial sites around Ocala (Devils Den, Blue Grotto and Paradise Springs) are $30 entrance, they all stepped up the price at the same time in May i think. You might also have the state park options of Manatee Spring, Royal or Troy springs to think about, which are cheaper at $5 entrance. Dont know what else i can tell you, you seem to have the rest covered! :wink:

simbrooks:
Just caught my eye with this thread, not that i am that far away to come up to that part of FL anytime :wink:

Don, if you are still going, check out Tampa (TPA), Orlando (MCO), Sanford (SFB), Jacksonville (NIP), Gainesville (GNV), and Ocala (OCF) airports. Maybe the group could pick you up on the way or do a quick trip out or you get your own car? There are a few motels around I-75 x 399 to High Springs. February gets mighty cold to camp - i did it last year at Ginnie, was freezing overnight (ok i know you guys see <30F temps up your way, but its hard on us down here!), i would suggest a real roof or some warm sleeping bags and somewhere dry for your gear!!

Just a quick correction, all the commercial sites around Ocala (Devils Den, Blue Grotto and Paradise Springs) are $30 entrance, they all stepped up the price at the same time in May i think. You might also have the state park options of Manatee Spring, Royal or Troy springs to think about, which are cheaper at $5 entrance. Dont know what else i can tell you, you seem to have the rest covered! :wink:

Thanks Simon! Charlie is suppose to post details sometime today. Looks like we're diving Devils Den and Ginnie Springs. I think some of us are getting the cottage at Ginnie if it is available. I've dove Devils Den this past February so I know what to expect regarding temps. I haven't dove Ginnie yet so I'm looking forward to that one. We thought about doing a cavern course that weekend but I think we'll put it off for another weekend. Maybe when we schedule that you can give us some helpful info.

I can also relate to your ear problems. I think I've got something brewing now as a result of the SB Key Largo trip.

Mel

suthnbelle:
I can also relate to your ear problems. I think I've got something brewing now as a result of the SB Key Largo trip.
Its that Florida water, not good for your northerners!!! Y'all stay up there and dont clog the interstates with RV's the size of semis and it'll be fine. :wink: Thankfully my ears got better prior to this weekend's dives so i am all good again.

Have fun with this trip, will keep an eye on it and see if i am around any time over whatever weekends you decide on :wink: BTW, when you have decided, maybe you can drop a thread over in the FCD forum just in case any other locals would like to add to your fun - of course if you want any of us along is another matter entirely!

Hey, I'm no northener! Notice the name thank you very much. :wink: So did Kevin fill you in on his pretty red toenails he was sporting one night in Key Largo? That is what happens when you fall asleep outside. So, you guys on the springs trip better watch out!

We'll definitely start posting our Florida trips in your forum in case anyone wants to join us. The more the merrier I say. I want to plan a Florida reef/wreck trip for the NCWD group sometime in the spring so keep a look out.

simbrooks:
Its that Florida water, not good for your northerners!!! Y'all stay up there and dont clog the interstates with RV's the size of semis and it'll be fine. :wink: Thankfully my ears got better prior to this weekend's dives so i am all good again.

Have fun with this trip, will keep an eye on it and see if i am around any time over whatever weekends you decide on :wink: BTW, when you have decided, maybe you can drop a thread over in the FCD forum just in case any other locals would like to add to your fun - of course if you want any of us along is another matter entirely!

NCDiver2004:
Dive Plan - Probably Devil's Den on Saturday am, Ginnie NIGHT DIVE, and then Sunday Ginnie again, or perhaps some other. This isn't fixed in stone yet.
Suggestion - although its on the honour system at Ginnie, in theory you would have to buy two diving passes at Ginnie to do that, one for saturday (night dive) the other for sunday. Of course who is going to check you, but some places get awfully finicky about such things. The ballroom is nice at night, and in the day too. Drifting the Santa Fe river from the Devils system to the Ballroom - or all the way to the tube exit (need other transport to get you back - its a good mile or so) is fun too, most people who went in May with us said that was their favourite dive! But the river viz has to be up a bit, back then it was about 15ft, lately its been nearer 0. If you do that, probably spend about half a tank looking into the caverns along the Devils run and the rest in the river, hit two parts with one tank - take a dive flag for the river.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom