Taking a multi-day trip to the Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just dove Devil's Den.

Attachments

• PXL_20231109_161413951.jpg
    PXL_20231109_161413951.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 38
How'd you like it?
It was cool. I couldn't find any fossils, so that was disappointing. I followed behind some groups under some rocks in the deeper areas. We slowly circled around about 4 times.

It was the first freshwater dive, and I was way overweighted. In salt water without neoprene, I carry 6 lbs. I'm actually overweighted at 6 lbs by 4 lbs. I do this to make it easier to descend in drift diving currents and it makes getting down to take macro pictures easier. In 72 degree water, I added wearing my neoprene wetsuit. The Devils Den employee recommended adding 2 lbs to be safe, saying that adding neoprene and switching to freshwater would be a near wash. I knew the moment I stepped off the platform, I was easily 4 to 6 lbs too heavy. I struggled the entire dive with my buoyancy.

It was a good first freshwater cavern dive, and I enjoyed the experience.

The next day we went to Ginnie Springs. Dive 1 was the ballroom. This was one of my favorite dives. I spotted freshwater shrimps and flounders (about the size of silver dollars). The current coming out of the back was really interesting.

We then drove down to the devil's system to finish off our tanks. Little devil was cool, it looked like there were some paths on each side but were very small. At the eye, there were 2 very bored looking divers doing a deco stop. I gently descended to peek around and then got out of their way. At the ear, as we descended to the log, a train of divers started coming out. We went to the edge of the log and watched them exiting. 3 divers descended to enter, creating a traffic jam. As more divers exited, we moved out of the way so they could do their deco stops on the log. After the exiting divers vacated, we dropped back down to feel the current coming out. We walked back to the exit, there wasn't a reason to swim back in 3ft of water. We noticed some catfish and shrimp on this dive. It was interesting watching the divers go in and out.

On day 3 we met at Crystal River Watersports for a guided Rainbow River dive. We got tanks and followed the guide to the park. We took a 15 minute taxi ride up the river. The boat captain was entertaining with his alligator jokes and a quick tour of navigating the river for our dive. Our guide knew his way around really well, hitting all the spots the taxi boat captain spoke of. Without him, we would not have found half the spots. We moved faster than my normal pace; I could have stretched that to a 2 hour dive easily, instead we finished in about an hour. We really enjoyed this dive. The river had more life and vegetation than the previous dives.

Thanks for the trip report. Sounds like each place was unique and different.

... As more divers exited, we moved out of the way ...
Every cave diver reading this is smiling at your courtesy, protocol, & procedures.
Great trip report and you really got a 'taste' of the different springs !!

It was cool.
Where are the pics? We need pics!!!

:useless:

I couldn't find any fossils,
The whole state is a fossil. :D All that crushed limestone turned into lime rock is fossilized fish poop! The state is literally built on fossil fish poop.
we moved out of the way so they could do their deco stops on the log.
A blessing on your head.

It might be a week until I get through everything and find time to stitch it together. I haven't even completely unpacked yet lol.

It might be a week until I get through everything and find time to stitch it together. I haven't even completely unpacked yet lol.
Excuses, excuses! :D :D :D

Take your time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom