Florida Dive trip before Christmas - (Bonaire Surrogate)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

homerdoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Our Bonaire trip was cancelled so called an audible and drove down to Florida to get some diving in.

(Day 1) We live in South Carolina and stopping in Gainesville and doing a shake down dive at Devils den was a good idea. Classic, my daughter asked why we were doing it and I said, "need to check out our gear and make sure that its all okay". She said, "yeah, we dont want to look like noobs", I pointed at her mom with her first stage attached upside down, well we messed that up. I recommend doing this to break the trip to the keys up if you have folks that dont like 10+ hours in a car. Devils den/blue grotto/ginnie springs are about the same thing and very close to gainesville. At Devils Den, the angry british lady was actually nice to me, must be the christmas spirit.

(Day 2) Drove down to blue heron bridge - posted that earlier then down to Key Largo Marriot

(Day 3) Stayed at Key Largo Marriott, COVID pretty good, masks required, probably 30% occupancy. Dove with Pirates Cove the first day in the afternoon. They are on site so really convenient. Boat was pretty full, it was a pontoon and took us to Elbow Reef. Dove two sites, City of Washington wreck and Anchor Chain. Both were shallow and vis wasnt great

DSCI0334.JPG DSCI0251.JPG
Saw a cool skate/ray . One thing that amazed me, this is 30ft deep reefs that has a lot of new divers coming and the sea fans were everywhere. I only saw one knocked over.

(Day 4) Dove with Forever Young - these guys were the bomb. Valet diving and went hunting lionfish. Did our first back roll, free descent (to 80'), and open water safety stop. I got 6, my daughter got 2. It was really rough and off shore. They went out of Islamorada. Bonus, a manatee named carl swam up and hung out when we came back.

We have done boat diving in bonaire and PCB, but there was always an anchor line. This was also a drift dive - my wife and daughter enjoyed, this opens Coz up as an option.

I cant say it enough, this was professional well run boat. I will do them again.

Sorry no underwater pics, but I have a rule, I only do max of two new things on a dive and bringing my new camera wasn't in the cards. I worry about task loading.

IMG_0985.JPG IMG_0979.JPG

(Day 5) Dove with Pirates cove again in the am - I recommend the morning, the afternoons have several snorklers, the morning boat had 8 divers total. They served hot chocolate after the first dive which was really nice. It was rather cool, I normally don't dive with a wetsuit, but I put a 2mm shirt on for these dives.

Saw some really neat stuff, and the reefs were crazy with fish. We dove molasses reef (Aquarium and Eagle Ray Pass) Nurse shark, shark that scared the pee out of me (I was looking down), sea turtle that woke up when my light hit him (oops) - Three sharks in total plus the nurse shark. We also saw a grouper get angry with a moray - that was cool.DSCI0457.JPG
DSCI0469.JPG DSCI0502.JPG

DSCI0441.JPG

We were going to stay in Gainesville, but got up early enough to drive straight back Christmas Day.

Would I say it is as good as Bonaire, well probably not, but it was different and cool and at least on the same playing field.

I know for a fact we only saw 1% of Blue Heron Bridge in a 60 minute dive.

Homerdoc.

Thnx for sharing and the fish life in the keys is outstanding
Coral meh

That ray you showed a photo of looks to be a yellow stingray.

Is that shark (other than the nurse shark) a black tip? looks like some dark on the tips of the pectoral fins, and the top part of the tail fin is larger/longer than I remember with Caribbean reef sharks.

That ray you showed a photo of looks to be a yellow stingray.

Is that shark (other than the nurse shark) a black tip? looks like some dark on the tips of the pectoral fins, and the top part of the tail fin is larger/longer than I remember with Caribbean reef sharks.
I was thinking it was an Atlantic Blacktip Shark

What happened was I was swimming down the middle of a sand channel looking at a little fish I liked and didn't see the two sharks. My daughter and wife were behind me and they told me later, they thought I would miss them, looked up and bam scared the beejeezus out of me. Probably 3 feet away from each other. I really dont know what kind of shark(s) it is, but it was really cool, first for me in clear vis and first ever for my daughter.

Drrich2, Thanks for the ID on the ray, I had never seen one of those before.

I also was going to go to Bonaire in January. As you did the surrogate is going to be diving in key largo. Question for you. Not sure what wetsuit to bring 3mm or 7mm. Apparently the dive shop, Rainbow Reef puts their rental customers in a 5mm. Anybody have an opinion? Water temp right now is 73 deg.

Nice trip report.

Probably not 7mm. 3mm would work for some people especially with gloves and a hood. I've been diving 3mm recently and it's ok but borderline. If you tend to get chilly, a 2mm vest with integrated hood under your 3mm adds a lot of warmth. Protects head and neck. Should be able to find one for $20-$30. If you don't tend to get chilly, 3mm with gloves and a hood or beanie should be just fine.

I also was going to go to Bonaire in January. As you did the surrogate is going to be diving in key largo. Question for you. Not sure what wetsuit to bring 3mm or 7mm. Apparently the dive shop, Rainbow Reef puts their rental customers in a 5mm. Anybody have an opinion? Water temp right now is 73 deg.

Nice trip report.
We dove two weekends ago in 74 F water and those with 3mm suits were complaining of being cold. I was in a 5mm and was fine but did feel a little bit chilled after an hour in the water. Not all 5mm are created equal so it’s hard to say if just any 5mm will keep you warm, but most likely you will be ok in a 5mm in 73F.

my wife and daughter dove in a 5mm full suit and vest. They were fine, the water is between 74 and 77 degrees. I dove with just a long sleeve shirt except for the lionfish dive where I wore a 2mm top.

To me a 7mm would be overkill, a 5mm would be about right if you are cold natured. 3mm would be if you have a pretty high tolerance to cold.

Homerdoc.

my wife and daughter dove in a 5mm full suit and vest. They were fine, the water is between 74 and 77 degrees. I dove with just a long sleeve shirt except for the lionfish dive where I wore a 2mm top.

To me a 7mm would be overkill, a 5mm would be about right if you are cold natured. 3mm would be if you have a pretty high tolerance to cold.

Homerdoc.
I have a pretty good tolerance to cold water but have started wearing a full wetsuit lately for several reasons but the most important one is for added safety in the event I find myself in the water longer than I had planned.

I agree 7mm is probably overkill but I see a lot of people diving a 7mm here in South Florida in the winter months. :)

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom