Keys/PB/Jupiter Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sunshower

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just a few quick thoughts on some recent diving in the Keys and Jupiter.

Islamorada Dive Center - we did a day with them, morning and afternoon. All shallow reef stuff. Viz wasn't great as Idalia had only recently been in the general area. Boat and crew were fine, store is nice. One thing I didn't like was their 45 minute limit on each dive. We came down there to dive and I don't feel an hour per dive is unreasonable. Don't know if that's become the norm in the area but it's ridiculous and I'd be inclined to dive with another shop on a future trip. Oh, I also disliked their policy of providing a water cooler but no cups; they literally told us to drink from our masks.

Horizon Divers was the next day. We went out to Speigel and did one dive. Current wasn't awful but was there. And viz was poor, didn't venture too far from our up line. I got nauseous during the dive and bagged the second dive, wasn't like conditions were ideal anyway. Shop/boat/crew were good; they actually had water and cups. :cool:

We headed to Key West where we planned to dive the Vandy but viz scrubbed it, the shop reported it was about 5'. We rented a scooter instead and had a blast ripping around the island. We also ended up in the Jimmy Buffett parade with a few thousand of our closest friends and that was pretty cool.

Jupiter Dive Center was next. I'd been out with them before, always been fine. Viz was again not awesome so we skipped the wreck trek and went to the MG111 instead. Saw a few groupers stacked up but only an ok dive. Did some reef on the second dive, forgetable. The most notable thing about the day was watching the shop reject a diver who forgot his nitrox card. I understand not letting him dive nitrox but they also refused to allow him to dive on air. We did a very simple dive with max depth around 80 or 90'. Air is completely fair for that but these guys are dicks about it. Looks like a straight up money grab to me. Their shop and their policy but they can lick my sack, I'll skip diving with them in the future.

Blue Heron Bridge - had a day off and did one easy dive here. Pura Vida were good for tanks and tips and we had a great two hours there; viz was great and tons of life. We went east to west and took our time checking out all the little patches of reef, saw the hammerhead statues, and then went over to the bridge pylons. I think those were my favorite; tons of life in there and love the way they create bits of light and shadows. No issue with parking or construction but it was also a Wednesday afternoon.

Salty Divers - our last day of diving and it was a blast, mostly. Two cool dives with lemons and sandbars. We picked up the wreck trek for our third dive; really cool to see all the groupers clustered on the Zion; tons of swirling baitfish hiding them; crazy to think Goliaths can be hidden but we were nearly on top of them before realizing it. So cool how they just sit in the current like it's nothing. And another decent group of them on the Bonaire. Great dives with the Salty crew but the day turned decidedly worse as we surfaced to find the Kyalami looking for a missing diver. They dove the wreck trek right before us. We listened as they alerted the coast guard and watched search vessels look for the diver. Conditions weren't particularly bad, current wasn't super strong and viz wasn't horrible; and the guy was young, seems like a head scratcher how things went sideways. It was an unpleasant reminder that diving isn't risk-free and **** happens; always pays to be prepped on your gear/skills and paying attention to your teammate.

If you've read this far then it's time for a few little bonus reviews. We hadn't planned on it but ended up trying different French places for breakfast; here are our thoughts. In Key West, go for La Creperie French Cafe; cool little place across from Blue Heaven and their crepes were delicious. In the Palm Beach Gardens area, don't judge the book by the cover - go to Paris in Town; we loved this place, the honey and lemon crepes were the bomb. And lastly, if you're in South Beach, check out A La Folie Cafe. Go for the mint and honey crepes, so good.

Jupiter Dive Center was next. I'd been out with them before, always been fine. Viz was again not awesome so we skipped the wreck trek and went to the MG111 instead. Saw a few groupers stacked up but only an ok dive. Did some reef on the second dive, forgetable. The most notable thing about the day was watching the shop reject a diver who forgot his nitrox card. I understand not letting him dive nitrox but they also refused to allow him to dive on air. We did a very simple dive with max depth around 80 or 90'. Air is completely fair for that but these guys are dicks about it. Looks like a straight up money grab to me. Their shop and their policy but they can lick my sack, I'll skip diving with them in the future.

Two thoughts.

One, this is CLEARLY communicated. If you don’t like it, dive elsewhere. But no one should be caught off guard unless they cannot read.

Two, more and more charters in the area are doing the same for dives in the 70-100’ range. It’s not a money grab IMO. It’s about increasing safety & trying to limit the inexperienced divers on these advanced dives IMO. Now one can certainly argue over whether it’s logical, but their boat, their rules. All the charters I know doing this VERY CLEARLY communicate it.

Two thoughts.

One, this is CLEARLY communicated. If you don’t like it, dive elsewhere. But no one should be caught off guard unless they cannot read.

Two, more and more charters in the area are doing the same for dives in the 70-100’ range. It’s not a money grab IMO. It’s about increasing safety & trying to limit the inexperienced divers on these advanced dives IMO. Now one can certainly argue over whether it’s logical, but their boat, their rules. All the charters I know doing this VERY CLEARLY communicate it.

You nailed it!

The incident late this week in Jupiter is an example of why more and more shops are requiring both nitrox and AOW to dive in Jupiter. Not saying the incident could have been avoided with a nitrox and AOW cert as there are limited details about the incident. But, from a liability perspective, those requirements provide additional protection and are likely required for the shop to maintain their liability insurance policies.

The lesson learned for the disgruntled JDC diver is to fully understand the dive operations requirements to dive. It’s clearly stated throughout the booking process that nitrox is required. Don’t like it? Go dive somewhere shallow because it’s going to be commonplace throughout SE Florida for anything deep.

Nah, not buying it. I understand it’s their shop and their policy, already acknowledged that. But I don’t agree with the merit of it. They’ve taken an outlier position and one that is at times unfriendly to divers, like the guy they turned away the other day. And to be clear, the team there were not rude to him; my bone of contention is with the policy.

You may contend it’s clearly communicated; I think that’s a bit debatable but setting that aside, merely communicating a policy doesn’t validate it. They could just as easily tell everyone you can’t dive on their boat unless you’re completely kitted up in Scubapro gear. Telling people wouldn’t make it any more rational.

But back to the policy itself, the dive profile on air is completely within standard as taught by training agencies; and then there’s the tons of anecdotal experience, it’s not like divers have been dropping like flies on that profile over the last few decades. JDC have essentially turned the early 90s on their head. People were afraid of nitrox and now it’s air that’s not being allowed for an easy dive. Maybe they should alert the WRSTC and DAN as to the dangers of air.

It also raises an interesting question. If they’re going to deviate from standards used in teaching students, what’s actually guiding them and where do they draw the line on air and nitrox? Is a 40’ reef dive too dangerous for air?

And what are newer divers to think of this? They’re not taught that nitrox is a requirement. That’s not even taught in a nitrox class. This policy may be easy for them, and it certainly increases their revenue, and maybe it makes them feel warm and fuzzy, but it may confuse newer divers, offers modest benefit, and when a dude forgets his nitrox card, it unnecessarily costs him a day of diving. Nothing wrong with recommending nitrox for that dive but silly to take such an absolute position.

From what I've seen, most air divers out of Jupiter follow the guide. If you have air divers and nitrox divers following the guide, then you'd need to drop two guides.

I've also seen on most dive ops, that if nitrox is required, it clearly states it on the website when booking.

If the person was certified, but forgot their card, why couldn't they look it up? I also take pictures of my cards and save them on my phone.

Other than someone else's issue, it sounds like you had some good diving.

.. but it may confuse newer divers,
I'm a local diver also and use / know all the WPB & JUP boats. Their number one problem they have is getting 'experienced' divers to not be "late" to the boat. The new divers all show up at or before the time listed on their confirmation email and have the least problems that I see on the boats.

The oceans have been swirling down here this past weekend, mostly driven by the hurricane a couple hundred miles out at sea. Viz was pretty bad in Miami on both Saturday and Sunday.

Regarding the Nitrox situation, it makes for safer diving and easier logistics for them, which equates to a better time for everyone. Having to manage multiple MODs and NDLs on two deep dives isn't the best situation, especially when most of the group is using a guide. It's not a money grab for Nitrox if they are actually turning down full dive revenue just because they're salty about not making $30 on Nitrox.

I do wonder, however, why they couldn't just look up the Diver's Nitrox card? While I do agree that it's always *your* responsibility to ensure that you carry all certification documentation, we all know that it's standard industry practice to try and assist with the retrieval of proof of certification, if possible. Perhaps they did this and were unsuccessful?

I am in agreement with your frustration re: Islamorada's 45-minute limit on shallow dives. They cater to a ton of tourists, so every minute counts to guys like you who are making the trip. Allowing for a 60-minute window isn't unreasonable at all.

Perhaps they did this and were unsuccessful?
JDC does have online 24hr immediate access to all the certification agency's lookup info. But they are not going to get into disagreement with a customer whether or not a cert level has been completed or not. If it's not on the agency portal, or the customer doesn't have the physical card, then the insurance company rules say they can't manifest that diver's name on that dive scheduled. It's no different than your car's insurance, you have it or you don't,, not alot of gray area.

Agr
JDC does have online 24hr immediate access to all the certification agency's lookup info. But they are not going to get into disagreement with a customer whether or not a cert level has been completed or not. If it's not on the agency portal, or the customer doesn't have the physical card, then the insurance company rules say they can't manifest that diver's name on that dive scheduled. It's no different than your car's insurance, you have it or you don't,, not alot of gray area.
Agreed, and that’s what I’m questioning. They may have attempted to validate the customer through an agency portal and were unsuccessful. In which case, I’d fully agree that they shouldn’t allow them on the boat. We don’t know the full story here.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom