Florida Springs Trip 02/18/05 - 02/21/05

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charlie J

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
To all: The NCWD have confirmed the dates of 2/18-21, Drive down Friday 2/18 leave 2/21 about noon or 1 PM back to NC. Our base will be Ginnie Springs, and we have the ONLY cottage reserved for our group, and unfortunately, we have filled it. So others who would like to join us, looks like camping and/or nearby motels. I'll research some more and post possibilities later on.

Dive Plan - Probably Devil's Den on Saturday am, Ginnie NIGHT DIVE, and then Sunday Ginnie again, or perhaps some other. This isn't fixed in stone yet.

We'll probably hang around Ginnie for Dinner/cookout on Sat nite - but that will be confirmed later also. Ya'll come!

I've done the "drive down Friday, dive Saturday and Sunday and head out" trip on several occasions. Works for me.

Looks like Ginnie is $27.00 a day for diving, and $16.00 a night to camp (that's what I've always done)
Blue Grotto...$30.00 a day for diving
Devils Den is $27.00 a day for diving and $7.00 a night to camp.

Ginnie is in High Springs and Blue Grotto and Devils Den are in Williston. High Springs is only 38 miles north of Williston. We could camp in Williston Friday night, dive devils den Sat morning for a few dives, head over and check out blue grotto in the afternoon (might need to swap order...I know blue grotto is 100ft...not sure about devils den as I have never dived it). Spend the night in Williston, get up Sunday morn, head to Ginnie, get in a few dives and head out. It's fast paced, but enjoyable none the less.
Doesn't appear that it would cost that much (besides gas to get there...car pool).

Jason

Figuring gas @ 13 mpg and $2.00 - its about $185.00 for 1200 miles (Mapquest says 542 miles Raleigh to Williston). I checked on a 12 passenger van from Thrifty in Raleigh - $300 for the three 1/2 days, unlimited mileage. Figuring 8 passengers, that would be about $60 each for rental and gas. Of course, if we could do it in two vehicles, that would cut transportation to $46 - still figuring 8 people (tight squeeze with gear?). Kristi has already volunteered her Expedition...So - using Jason's figures, about $60 for entry fees, $35 for air (2 tanks, 2 days) and lodging - low of $25 for camping, the Ginnie Springs cottage sleeps 8 in 3 bedrooms and 2 baths, for $53.00 TOTAL two nites, double in BR's, 2 in LR (Cottage rental also includes $10 entry fee - don't know if that applies to divers). Total - Transportation, Entry, Air, Lodging of about $208 per person (maybe $10 less) (8 total), figuring rental van. Figuring camping, two vehicles carpooling, thats $155.00 each.

http://www.ginniespringsoutdoors.com/camp.html

I'm in too. I've got a Mazda MPV minivan and can hold four people, and probably their gear. Notice I said PROBABLY. I guess we can decide on the 5th as far as using my car. You can check out the size then.

Sounds like y'all are in for a lot of fun. It's a pity I cannot join in on all of these!

Charlie, let me suggest something from my old travel approach. I never take my vehicle on road trips, as mileage depreciation, tires, transmission servicing, etc. all figures at 25-35c a mile plus gas. I always rent. Then, if I break down more than 100 miles from home, it's their problem, not mine.

Car rental prices are faster moving targets than plane tickets, though, and while I never give up on finding better deals, I've found that Sidestep.com is the best serach engine for travel shopping. I thought I';d found a better price for you until I noticed that mileage was unlimited only within the state.

SUVs are a good alternative, too. I used one last weekend, and could have hauled 4 divers with gear, or maybe 3 with gear and camping supplies. Today, Avis would rent you one for 3 days for $164 total with taxes and fees. But watch the mileage clauses.

BTW, when you find a good deal, you can book it without commitment, to hedge your options. I ws holding reservations on 6 different vehicles for last weekend until I canceled a few. Have fun, and dive & drive safely.

This sounds like quite a bit of fun to me. I can't commit this early yet, but more than likely would like to tag along. I don't forsee why I wouldn't be able to make this trip. Any indication of when you will be scheduling charters?

Matt

Corigan:
This sounds like quite a bit of fun to me. I can't commit this early yet, but more than likely would like to tag along. I don't forsee why I wouldn't be able to make this trip. Any indication of when you will be scheduling charters?

Matt
Charters? I think these are shore dives into springfed sinkholes, aren't they?

Okay, Charlie - this took about 3 hours for me to talk myself into one more for 2005 plans. Can I tag along? I'll need more info, starting with where do I fly into? :D

Matt, these will be freshwater spring dives as Don said. All shore dives. Of course you are welcome to tag along (same for you Don...only three hours:wink:). Always nice to meet new divers. We do need to go ahead and pick a date. I'm going to ask that nothing be finalized (as far as a date) until after I get back to work on Monday so I can check my work calendar (please...).

Jason

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom