Trip Report Bonaire and Curacao Trip Report March 18- April 10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DirtFish

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Bonaire and Curacao Trip Report March 18- April 10
While I could have made this two separate trip reports I elected to keep it as one. We spent one week on Bonaire, our second time on the island, and a little over two weeks on Curacao, our first time there. Please keep in mind that the opinions and experiences stated here are mine and my wife's, yours may be different. My wife and I are both experienced divers and travel 3 to 4 times a year for dive vacations.
After many months of anticipation and planning, and many hours of packing, unpacking and moving stuff from one bag to another to meet the weight requirements while bringing recreational backplate and wing setups plus sidemount gear and a few clothes we finally arrived in Bonaire for the first part of our dive trip.
We used Avis for the car rental and vehicle pick up went fast and smoothly. We got a new small pickup truck with only 500 miles on it. One nice thing was that the electronic key fob was already listed as not working which meant I could put it in my swimsuit pocket under my wetsuit and not worry. We then headed to Den Laman to meet with them to get the key and be shown the room we were staying in. They insisted we meet them first before going to the market which added more time for us since we then had to drive back to the market to get food for the week, in retrospect I should have made them wait for us after all it’s my vacation.
The Condo
The condo, Grouper at Den Laman, was ok in a third world sort of way, ceiling fan ready to fall off, main door lock loose like it had been kicked etc. Bonaire is building a park immediately adjacent to Den Laman, and everything including the inside of the room and the outside patio was covered in dust constantly for the week that we were there. The new resort next door started playing loud music that could easily be heard in the room around 5 o’clock and stopped about 10pm. While convenient to most parts of the island and on Bari reef, (more on that later), I would probably not stay there again if on the island.
Next was to check in at Dive Friends on the premises and get rental tanks. So, I’m standing at the counter filling out the paperwork and the manager, a British gal, is tearing into an older gentleman, something about him bringing his weights back to the wrong location, then he asks about renting a tank for a solo dive, and she goes crazy! I’m standing there and she is totally being disrespectful to this guy while spewing a bunch of P@DI crap about how it’s not allowed because of bla bla bla. It took everything I had not to tear up the paperwork and head over to Buddys to rent tanks, even the young girl that was helping me with the paperwork was embarrassed. (strike 1).
The next day I was meeting my best friend who was also on the island, and I had invited him and his girlfriend to come over and dive Bari reef with us. When they arrived carrying all of their scuba gear, they were promptly stopped and told to leave by the “other boss lady” at Dive Friends. He sent me a text message and I went downstairs to find out what was going on. She says they can’t dive here unless they are staying here. I told her they were guests of mine; she says she doesn’t care they have to go!
I then tell her that they are staying in the room with us, she is still pissed off but realizes she’s not going to win and storms off like an angry 9-year-old. (strike 2)
Diving Bonaire
We dove Bari that afternoon and again that night. Both were very nice and convenient dives.
During the next 5 days we dove Salt Pier, something special, oil slick, 1000 steps, karpata, petries pillar Buddys to Bari sidemount and small wall. All of the dives were nice with pretty fish to see and relatively healthy reefs.
On the 4th day we were just coming back to our place at Den Laman, bringing our dive gear back to the locker room and again we see the Dive Friends reef police stopping a fully geared up couple, and telling them they can’t dive there. This is such total BS! I point out a simple path on the other side of Den Laman and still she says no. I asked her how is anybody able to get to Bari reef from the shore, she says only renters are allowed. I ask what if every place on the island does that and there is no more access to the reefs, who is going to come to dive here then? Her answer left my wife and the couple that was trying to dive there speechless; she says we don’t care if nobody comes. {strike 3)
If I were to go back to Bonaire, I would hand carry a week’s worth of 3 dives a day tanks for 2 people from the farthest side of the island before I would rent from Dive Unfriendly at Den Laman, (and that’s being nice).

The food Bonaire
Being a vegan/vegetarian is hard while on vacation, but I was able to find some very good food while on Bonaire. My top picks are Mezzes, we ate there twice, (reservations required), Umbrella, for great mixed drinks, (didn’t eat there only drinks), Between 2 buns, new location, Rumba cafe, good food, not so good service, Breeze and Bites at Den Laman actually had a very good vegetarian burger, Pasa Bon pizza, always good and Blennies at Buddys is a nice place to eat and drink. The food trucks were also pretty good for vegetarian options and are always convenient for close after dive food. Most every breakfast we made at the room and fresh eggs were not a problem to find at the store.
We tried all the places for ice cream and gelato and by far Luciano was the best.
Overall Bonaire
You don’t go to Bonaire for the scenery, the beaches or the food, you go for the diving. That being said the reef life and fish life is some of the best anywhere. We are all entitled to enjoy the reefs, they belong to all of us and we should all have access to them. Unfortunately, more places are building “my sh!t” walls and limiting that access, so go enjoy them while you still can!

Bags all packed and weighed for our flight to Curacao on Divi Divi air. They have very specific weights for each bag, not just checked bags so check before you go. The flight is in a 15-person plane and takes about 25 minutes.
20230320_104401~2.jpg
20230320_105850~2.jpg
20230322_141635~2.jpg
20230320_142708~2.jpg
20230323_093913.jpg

Curacao
We rented a small pickup with D&D and they met us at the airport and brought us to the vehicle. We were on our way very quickly as all the paperwork was done online. This was an older Nissan pickup in good condition with a non-electronic key, so I could dive with it.
We stopped at Centrum market and loaded up for the week. They have a very good selection of food and I was amazed at how nice the people were. I have never seen an avocado like they have on the island, it is huge! One of the local island ladies was laughing at me trying to pick out a fairly ripe one and she spent 5 minutes teaching me what to look for.
The closest gas station for Westpunt is in Tera Cora just down the road from California Market. Gas is in liters, they only accept cash and the price comes to about $8.66 a gallon. In the 2+ weeks we put in about $100. Other than gas everyone else on the island took credit cards, even the small food and drink places on the beaches.
As we were driving to the Westpunt side of the island you could feel the relaxed attitude and much slower pace. The roads are much nicer than Bonaire with noticeably fewer potholes and patches,
We arrived at Marazul where we were staying and found the keys and entry code that were given to us ahead of time.
The Condo
The condo was waterfront and close to the pool with a beautiful ocean view. It was clean and in very nice condition with plenty of cooking utensils, gas cooktop and everything needed for an enjoyable stay.
Every unit has a charcoal BBQ outside, so don’t forget to pick up some charcoal at the market on the way up from the airport.
If there was a downside I would say it’s the stairs to the bedroom which is on the top floor of the condo, but it’s really no big deal.
The vibe at Marazul is all about friends, socializing and meeting new people from all over and hanging out by the pool.
The place reminded me of CoCoview in Roatan, where people have come back 20+ times, there were many couples at Marazul that have been coming back for 10+ years.
After 2+ weeks I get it. The social atmosphere of friendly people enjoying the relaxed attitude is where it’s at.
Would I stay there again? Well, I booked 6 weeks for next year before I left, so a most definite yes.
The Diving
I was signed up to take a TDI/SDI class with Alain at Tec Diving Curacao, at the Westhill bungalows and diving. I spent two weekends in the ocean being put thru the paces. Alain demanded perfection with all skills being performed without moving more than a foot in the water column, even when removing both tanks and replacing them.
When I signed up I told him I wanted good, not easy. That’s what I got! I highly recommend them for any Tec class you may need. They also do rebreather training.
I also rented our tanks from Westhill and Maren made it easy to get right and left DIN sidemount tanks and provided my wife with a regulator setup after she dropped her setup scuba rig off the tailgate onto the ground, bending the yoke on her first stage, another valuable lesson learned the hard way for her.
I will definitely use them again!
Beach Dives
Marazul house reef, tugboat, directors bay to tugboat sidemount, Cas Aboa right, Cas Aboa left, Playa Grandi right, Playa Grandi left, Porto Marie right, Porto Marie left, Playa Jeremi 6 times, 5 for class, once for fun, Playa Lagun, Playa Kalki right, Playa Kalki left, Coral Estates.

On our dive at Tugboat I asked the owner of the “funky” restaurant and seating area about the dive site, he told us that we should do a drift dive from Directors Bay to Tugboat and he offered to drive us and all of our gear to Directors Bay, which we did. What a nice guy! (I slipped him a $20 when we got back).
Boat dives
Go West to Watamula and Black Coral Garden. Great people and JR is a hoot. The boat had 17 divers which is a bit crowded but it worked and was fun.
Dive Charter Curacao to the Eastside was a true adventure dive. We dove Hamrack and Katies Paradise. Both amazing reefs in pristine condition. If you go to Curacao and don’t dive the East side you are truly missing out. Andrew and his wife will put you on reefs that are as pristine as the ones I saw when I started diving in 1974. A must do truly adventure dive! I highly recommend it!
All of the dives were great and they all had different things to see which really makes it hard to pick any as a favorite.
Beaches
The one thing that definitely sets Curacao apart are the incredible beaches. It’s awesome to do a two tank dive on a beautiful reef and when you are finished, hang out on a lounger on a beach like you see in the travel brochures, can it get any better? well, yes, they serve cocktails at the beach also! Heaven.
On a dive at Cas Aboa I was coming out of the water from my second dive onto the beach and a large group of off duty stewardesses were playing in the shallows all in tiny string bikinis, for a moment I thought am I narc’d ? I think it was @BoltSnap that had mentioned a similar incident while in Curacao. LOL
Food Curacao
I found the food choices on Curacao westpunt to be very good even for a vegetarian. Although I am not a fish or meat eater there is always fresh fish of all types at most of the restaurants and you can purchase fresh fish at the dock at Playa Grandi and cook it yourself. My top picks are Cactus Café, always great food, great service, vegetarian options and the peanut soup is to die for! Sol Food which is only open Fri, Sat, Sun has pretty good pizza but their homemade brownie and ice cream desert is fantastic. The owners are great people with lots of advice on everything about the island and the vibe is friendly. Playa Forti restaurant had very good vegetarian options including the “dish of Curacao” Keshi Yena, and you can watch the brave souls jump off the 40+ foot cliff adjacent to the restaurant. There are two restaurants near each other in Playa Lagun. The one near the parking lot for the beach has pizza on the weekends, not very good at all. The restaurant above the beach on the cliffs is much better, Bahia Beach Bar. I had the best vegetarian burger ever there! good drinks, spectacular view and good service. Closer to Tera Cora where the gas station and the other market, California Market, is the is an Asian Restaurant, Bahia. They have very good Pad Thai. The food is good but the service is verrrrrry slow. Most of the larger beaches have places where you can grab a burger or a slushie. Some have mixed drinks and most all have beer. Speaking of beer our favorites were Polar, which is great ice cold when you are thirsty and Brasa, again great ice cold with a slice of lime. We are not big beer drinkers but in 2 weeks we went thru a case of Polar and a case of Brasa. Must be all of that pool socialization!
Overall Curacao
Definitely a different more relaxed vibe than Bonaire with friendly people, (locals), good food and some of the nicest beaches on the planet. I always locked my vehicle and had no problems with theft although you must be smart and try to leave nothing in the vehicle while diving. Actually, most popular beaches and dive locations have a security person to keep thieves away. I never felt unsafe anywhere on the island. Some will say that the diving in Bonaire is better and more easily accessible, I’m not of that opinion. Yes, you have to navigate to each dive location as they are not just all lined up along one highway, but the reefs are just as nice, some actually much more pristine on Curacao. I highly recommend that you download Maps.me on your phone to navigate with. It made navigating to anywhere on the island extremely easy and it’s offline so no cell service needed. My phone was in airplane mode the entire 3 weeks.
We only spent a few hours in downtown Willemstad with its colorful buildings and tourist stores. If you want a faster pace and nightlife that is probably a better location for you. We love the quiet and slow pace of Westpunt and the faster pace if we desire it is only 45 minutes away.
Pictures of Curacao
20230322_110420~2.jpg
20230330_095400.jpg
20230330_102040~2.jpg
20230403_105318~2.jpg
20230320_105432.jpg

You can hit Bari from the other side of den lamen where they are building the park.

all in tiny string bikinis, for a moment I thought am I narc’d ? I think it was @BoltSnap that had mentioned a similar incident while in Curacao. LOL

They were topless when I was there :p

You didn't stare, did you????

🤠

More pics
IMG-20230408-WA0017.jpg
IMG-20230407-WA0018.jpg
IMG-20230403-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20230403-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20230403-WA0005.jpg

You can hit Bari from the other side of den lamen where they are building the park.
No you can't! Because of the construction they don't allow access. They have security watching and will stop you.

No you can't! Because of the construction they don't allow access. They have security watching and will stop you.

Wasn't a problem last June.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom