Feature Update: Weather On Homepage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ted S

SB Co-Founder
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Only 24 hours after launching the extended weather display addon we have recieved an update that puts a full forecast box on the forum homepage. To make use of this feature simply configure your weather options (be sure to set your location prior to changing the other settings). Save your settings and load www.scubaboard.com scrolling towards the bottom; you will now have your own weather block displayed at the top of the "whats going on" box udpated every time you load the homepage in 100% realtime!

And remember, you can view the extended forecast including predictions for upto 5 days by visiting your local weather page

As someone said on the similar thread regarding the weather, i cn't getr it to work. i follow the "set location" process-country,state,city,then click the final button,...and get back to the page where you can select language.
In the frame above the frame where it has "Dutch" as the default, it says "no location selected".
help!

Thanks,
Mike

I saw the same thing, but when you apply the other updates, it does fill in the location that you've selected. A tiny bit odd, but it works. (Of course, I hardly see the main page now that I have saved a link to a "new posts" with an "&excludes=" clause.)

-Rob

Making this new feature work was unbelieveably NON-intuitive. Having to set the location FIRST, when it's at the bottom of the list of steps to take (ie. Under Language, # of days, etc), was very confusing. I had to read the Tech Admin's post two times to complete the task properly. Then I had to try the steps a couple of times to get it to work.

Also, why can the weather not be relocated to the TOP of my homepage where it used to be? If I have to scroll down to the bottom of the page,I might as well just click on the "weather page" link at the top.

Oh, well. I'm new, but I found all of this 'improvements' to be marginal at best.

By and large, thought, I LOVE this forum. Thanks for a great product!

With Anemones like these??? :D Sorry, I just couldn't resist!

AnenomeJane... we are constantly trying to improve this site. Obviously it didn't just happen overnight! :) We love to hear HOW you want things done, and are glad to change them if we feel that you are in the prevailing current of opinion on the issue. Look for additional changes in the next few months (and years) that will continue to enhance your "surface interval" with us.

There's weather on the home page? Really? Oh... wait, there it is. I didn't see it below the seven pages of forums. :wink:

NetDoc:
With Anemones like these??? :D Sorry, I just couldn't resist!

AnenomeJane... we are constantly trying to improve this site. Obviously it didn't just happen overnight! :) We love to hear HOW you want things done, and are glad to change them if we feel that you are in the prevailing current of opinion on the issue. Look for additional changes in the next few months (and years) that will continue to enhance your "surface interval" with us.

Thanks, NetDoc for not taking offense. :07:
I plan to lurk around the site a lot, and post as I feel inspired! Great group of advisors here!

The weather is not at the top because it doesnt fit at the top and people had requested we put it somewhere that didnt force them to use up space on every page, clearly not everyone wants the same thing. I will see what I can do to move it around to better fit peoples wishes.

Regarding the complexity of the system, I admit it is a bit tricky but thats the result of a powerful addon like this. I didn't write the system but the person who did (and was graceous enough to release it to us) wrote it how they saw fit within the context of a system and like in all systems there are a lot of limitations. I'm confident everyone will figure it out, it just takes a minute to go through the process and sometimes go through it again.

Tech Admin:
The weather is not at the top because it doesnt fit at the top and people had requested we put it somewhere that didnt force them to use up space on every page, clearly not everyone wants the same thing. I will see what I can do to move it around to better fit peoples wishes.
Don't worry about it. I'm just taking cheap shots. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom