Bought a Peregrine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wayward Son

Contributor
Reaction score
So I just bought a new Peregrine. Have not dove It yet (came in yesterday), these are my initial thoughts on it:

I’m a rec diver, not a tech diver & I only dive one gas at a time. Usually 32% nitrox. I bought mine from Dive Gear Express.

It comes packaged in a small storage case. Inside the case is the computer, wireless charger & USB cable for that, wrist strap with mounting screws and screwdrivers, about 1 meter of bungee for bungee mounting, a card with inspection/model#/serial # info & a microfiber cloth. Also a screen protector.

I found out after installing the screen protector that it also has one already installed…

Also, all of this isn’t going back in the case if the wrist strap is installed. Should fit if you remove the foam padding & maybe the charger. Using bungees, it all fits:

1654296104862.png

1654296125570.png

Mine was fully charged out of the box, so I had no need to charge it so far. The charger is a small rectangle to just set the comp on. The cable is a USB to micro USB, use your own wall adapter or other USB port for charging.

Before it came in I went to the Shearwater site & downloaded the manual. It’s 52 pages long & I read it. I think it’s pretty good, clear & concise. I skipped most of the multi gas and deco parts as I don’t need them. Just enough of the deco so I know how to understand what it tells me if I screw up & end up with a deco obligation. I’ve never done that but figure I should at least be able to understand what I’m seeing if it ever comes up.

It impresses me as being well constructed. I feel that I can expect a long service life from it.

First thing I did was install the screen protector & then update the firmware. I assumed that I would need to go into the control panel on my PC or settings on my phone and establish that connection first. This is incorrect. It’s done through the Shearwater Cloud app on either device. Open the app & go to connect the dive computer. Then on the Peregrine navigate to start Bluetooth & start it. Go back to the app & tell it to connect. The Peregrine gives you 3 minutes to establish the connection or it auto cancels.

After it installed the firmware it dropped the connection. This seemed to be common, change something & when done, it would no longer be connected. Just reconnect it, minor annoyance.

I uploaded an image to give my Peregrine a custom splash screen on bootup & added my name & phone number. I found that this displays for a very brief time when turning it on, blink & you’ll miss it.

When finished with these things I went ahead & made sure the settings were what I wanted. As I had already decided on what I wanted for various alerts, nitrox at 32% and such, it was a simple matter to navigate through & either set them or confirm that they were already the correct value.

It’s a 2” color display, I found it crisp, clear & easy to read (note that I’m an old guy & have strong astigmatism, this is more important to me than for many other people). What it displays is partially configurable, though for now I decided to not change any of that. Want to dive it some first & then see if there are any changes I’d really want to make. It seems to already show me what I need to know during as dive & nothing I don’t. I really like this display.

Press both buttons to turn it on. To turn it off, use the left button to navigate to Turn Off, then press the right button.

Note that it never really turns all the way off, it’s more like a sleep mode where it monitors its surroundings. It will turn on automatically in the water, but not just by getting wet. It works on pressure & will turn on at about 3’ deep.

The left button is for navigating through the tree, the right menu is for selecting & changing values. I find it easy to use. It’s simple enough that I don’t think you really have to remember much in order to pick it up & find what you’re looking for.

Last, I made the bungee straps. The wrist strap is not depth compensating & I figure I’ll probably like using bungees better. Can always swap out for the strap if not. I opted to save the black bungee included & use a bit that I had on hand. It’s a bit thicker than theirs is & happens to be the thickest that would fit through the holes. I also decided to tie them to be adjustable rather than a fixed length. Bungee is cheap, readily available & easy to replace if I find that I don’t like how I did it.

Items of concern:

These are things I learned before buying, while researching this computer. The first are the buttons:

If you dive salt water, you need to soak it in warm water after the dives. Every time. These buttons are the same used on another Shearwater model & they have a history of salt crystals building up & interfering with their operation. I’ll go a step further & add something that an old friend who was a scuba tech used to teach: don’t just soak it, follow the soak with a good rinse under running water. You want to make sure to flush any dissolved salts away, so they don’t stay in place & form crystals when the water evaporates. The manual does state to NOT wash it under pressure, so I’m not talking about any real force. Just flowing water like from a faucet.

Next is application for tech divers. Note again that I am NOT a tech diver but what I heard makes sense. While this computer will do up to 3 gasses & you can switch them during a dive, it doesn’t have helium abilities. The thinking is that if you’re going into tech diving, skip this one & buy a Perdix & just be done with it, rather than having to buy the Perdix later anyway. Thought it worth noting for any who might be leaning that way.

It does NOT have a digital compass. This may or may not matter to any individual. I have a compass built into my old console with my SPG, so I don’t care.

It does NOT support air integration. If you must have AI, this would be a deal breaker. I’ve never had it & while I do think it’s a great feature, I’m not going to miss what I never had & again don’t care.

These things just aren’t deal breakers for me, YMMV.

I think I’m going to really like this computer. Now I just have to figure out when I can get a dive in to use it in the wild.

How long was yours on order? Or did the dive shop have it in stock?

Ordered saturday, shipped tuesday (monday was a holiday), delivered yesterday:

And they are listed as authorized dealers.

Friend of mine has a shop in Panama City Beach, he's also a dealer. But doesn't have any in stock. I've bought from DGE before so went with them

Also, all of this isn’t going back in the case if the wrist strap is installed. Should fit if you remove the foam padding & maybe the charger.
I asked Shearwater about this. They don’t particularly recommend disassembling the strap every time you pack it, so they suggested removing all the foam, which is what I did. Doesn’t look as tidy, but everything fits. I tucked the charging pad into the little mesh pocket with the cord.

I have an LDS here -that I do like- who's a dealer. But she temporarily closed the shop so no point in even asking. Ove the winter I'd kept an eye out & saw a lot of "out of stock".

Amazon has/had them, a seller I don't know. For the same price. DGE I do know. Friend of mine used to work there, she may still. Not sure. But there's 2 places to check if you've been looking but not finding.

I didn't realize DGX had them in stock again.

I should add an update about the display:

This is an active, color display. Not gray scale. The brightness is configurable (and the display is what uses the most power, impacting charge life), including an auto setting which works based on ambient light. So there's no need for a backlight, unlike my old Oceanic. meaning that you don't need to do anything to be able to read it in dark conditions, such as in a cave or on a night dive.

To me this is a big plus, as sometimes it can be hard to free up a hand just to light up the gizmo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom