GoPro Labs for Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi,

Will that work?
!MBOOT="!Lscub"!SAVEscub=i8M1S0!MQRDR=1=Gi=E1=E/G=E*s=E*250>E240oMEXPX=200+oMEXPN=0+!R14<E30=E30oMEXPX=E=E*1.05oMEXPN=E!R14!WBLK=1

I just added the WBLK=1 to the end of the script. I have seen that the QR changes, but not sure if it works or how to test it.

Hi,

Will that work?
!MBOOT="!Lscub"!SAVEscub=i8M1S0!MQRDR=1=Gi=E1=E/G=E*s=E*250>E240oMEXPX=200+oMEXPN=0+!R14<E30=E30oMEXPX=E=E*1.05oMEXPN=E!R14!WBLK=1

I just added the WBLK=1 to the end of the script. I have seen that the QR changes, but not sure if it works or how to test it.
Don't think that will work. The !WBLK=1 will never be executed. You can use a seperate command QR for it or try the below

!MBOOT="!Lscub"!SAVEscub=i8M1S0!MQRDR=1!WBLK=1=Gi=E1=E/G=E*s=E*250>E240oMEXPX=200+oMEXPN=0+!R21<E30=E30oMEXPX=E=E*1.05oMEXPN=E!R21!

Note the repositioning of the !WBLK command and the changes to the !R14 to !R21

Hi,

Looking for some information about QR codes for changing modes and settings underwater. I found your super interesting idea.

I want to test it in my trip to the Red Sea in a few days, but I don't know how if I can generate a QR code with this script and make that changes on the go of it I have to, somehow, load the script in the SD card and execute it on boot, every time.

I was reading your post in github, but to be truth I get lost, my knowledge about all this scripting things is close to 0. Wanting to learn but struggling to find the time to do it.

My idea is to have a QR code to change the setting of the camera and use your script and another one to reset to normal mode, this way I plan to be able to compare them and find out which one I like most or in which circumstances (deeper, with lights on/off,..) it works the best for me.

Also concern about not being able to save fast moving scenes properly (like diving with dolphins).
Or not being able to use 240fps modes.

Is it possible to do so?

I did a quite fast search in the goprolab website but didn´t found how to generate a QR code to execute an script. May be a little bit too fast searching I guess.

Thanks a lot for sharing your project, I hope to be able to help with some testing as for sure I will not be able to help any other way with.
The script in my post is intended for 30fps. There is some scaling that is based on the fps that is set. For 60fps for example, I use

'!MBOOT="!Lscub"!SAVEscub=i8M1S0!MQRDR=1=Gi=E1=E/G=E*s=E*250>E240oMEXPX=200+oMEXPN=0+!R14<E60=E60oMEXPX=E=E*1.05oMEXPN=E!R14

Notice the <E60=E60oMEXPX=E term has changed. This part of the equation basically says if the calculated shutter speed is less than 60, which does not work if the frame rate is 60, then set the shutter speed to 60. This factor needs to change with each different shutter speed.

The earlier calculations are a mix if what works for the 30~60 type shutter speed, not sure how they would best change for faster shutter speed like 240 fps. But, I don't think it matters because I would not use this script for fast frame rates. The goal of the script is to override the GoPro tendancy to want to keep the shutter speed up over 200 ish so that motion is frozen at the expense of using a noiser ISO. That is not really applicable at 240 fps. For fast moving scenes or high fps, you would want to go back to the stock behaviors and not use the script.

Thanks hellhole for your help.

I already installed that in my phone time ago, but my problem was that I didn't know how to create QRs to load an script.

I found out how to do it!! super easy, just copy and paste (or type) the script in the text box called "QR Command"

Super important to update the firmware to the

2.12.70 - Aug 10, 2023​

Otherwise the script will not work. there was a bug in previous version with the math symbols.

Never the less I guess I will initially execute the script using a QR instead of doing it on boot.

If I do so, is it safe to assume that when I restart the camera it will resume "normal" operation?

I will also create another QR with the !MBOOT=0 to not load the "scub" file.

If I create a QR with the script !MBOOT="!Lscub" it will load it on boot, isn´t it? I guess I´m starting to understand a little little bit how this works.

Is there any way to "reset" the camera to normal without using the !MBOOT=0 and restarting? an code that "reset" the camera without restarting?

Now I have the scub file in my SD, and I think I know how to set the camera to load it or not.

I will use always at least 60 fps underwater so I put the 60 fps script in my file.

What should I do if I want to use higher fps for a shot? just let the camera work with this setting or better to reset and let the camera work "normal"

Jumping to another related topic... It would be possible to add the WBLK=1 so that the white balance auto lock for balance, it auto white balances until the capture starts then locks.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Best regards form Ramstein

1. regarding a way to reboot and not load the script. The only 2 ways I know if is to use the !MBOOT=0 to clear the script or use a SD card that does not have the script saved on it and reboot. This is what I do. I have an SD Card with the script loaded (written when I scanned the QR code) and one that doesn't. When I want to swap behaviors, I change the SD card and reboot.

2. Regarding 60 fps, the script needs to be slightly modified to accomodate for this, the script I use is
'!MBOOT="!Lscub"!SAVEscub=i8M1S0!MQRDR=1=Gi=E1=E/G=E*s=E*250>E240oMEXPX=200+oMEXPN=0+!R14<E60=E60oMEXPX=E=E*1.05oMEXPN=E!R14
note the changes to the <E60=E60 part near the end. Unfortunantly, there is currently not a way for scripts to read what the current frame rate is and adjust automatically.

3. For higher rame rates like 120 or 240, I would just use the stock behaviors.

Has anyone ever changed camera settings underwater by simply pointing their go-pro to a QR code?

It'd be cool to go from standard underwater wideangle settings to macro settings by scanning a QR code strapped to my forearm (and reset back again by doing the same thing.

Has anyone ever changed camera settings underwater by simply pointing their go-pro to a QR code?

It'd be cool to go from standard underwater wideangle settings to macro settings by scanning a QR code strapped to my forearm (and reset back again by doing the same thing.
I have tried. It works. But I customise settings and save them on the gopro. Then underwater u can press the two buttons at the same time (a little practise help) to toggle it. Works well too but u have to remember the customs settings. As u can't uniquely rename them. Maybe g12 can? Haven't got it.

That´s exactly the best benefit off all this for divers.

It works quite well.

I have been using it to change the video resolution, FPS, SPOT METERING, ZOOM... very interesting.

I just got a trouble with a QR I prepared with the "diving settings" (no wifi, no GPS.....) and I added the WB look and seems that something went wrong, as after a couple of second of recording it gets super dark.

I need to try again with different discret settings QR.

The downside is that you need to print them and then laminate.

Don't think that will work. The !WBLK=1 will never be executed. You can use a seperate command QR for it or try the below

!MBOOT="!Lscub"!SAVEscub=i8M1S0!MQRDR=1!WBLK=1=Gi=E1=E/G=E*s=E*250>E240oMEXPX=200+oMEXPN=0+!R21<E30=E30oMEXPX=E=E*1.05oMEXPN=E!R21!

Thanks for your answer.

I prepared a QR with this script but printed it out too small (3cm wide) and the camera do not recognize it

I´m going to prepare new ones, as in the dive center they can laminate:callme::callme::callme:

Not sure what to do if prepare two different boot files scub30 and scub60 and save them in the SD and then create 3 QR for choosing which file to load:

1: !MBOOT="!Lscub30 ---For the 30FPS script
2: !MBOOT="!Lscub60 ---For the 60FPS script
3: !MBOOT=0 ---For normal settings

For the white balance and WBLOOK I´m going to use separate QRs I´m having a weird behaviour in the water, not sure if a problem with the QR I prepared or other thing.

Still a lot to learn.

Hi, I believe there is another way to change the behavior of the gopro in regards to ISO and shutter speed. The trick is to use the labs function gcmp in combination with limiting minimum shutter speed.

See the discussion here regarding settings used for mtb.

I assume this would work in the dive application as well. Lets discuss. 😊

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom