Diver categories. What traits do you share?

Diver categories

• Obsessive Collector

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Rules Follower

Votes: 18 17.6%
  • Rule Breaker

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Carefree but Confident

Votes: 54 52.9%
  • The Minimalist

Votes: 15 14.7%
  • The Technical Diver

Votes: 14 13.7%
  • The good Teaching Professional

Votes: 16 15.7%
  • I'm new and don't know yet.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • None of the above - See my post

Votes: 2 2.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

4 with a side order of amateur 7

I don't seem to fit in. :(
I refuse to spend thousands of dollars to dive the same wrecks and deep reefs I've been diving for nearly twenty years. My only goal is to come up from every dive.
Most of my dives do not involve any planning whatsoever. I consider myself a safe diver and love to show my buddies the sights at my favorite reefs.
I have a deck of C-cards collecting dust in a drawer.

I don't seem to fit in. :(
I refuse to spend thousands of dollars to dive the same wrecks and deep reefs I've been diving for nearly twenty years. My only goal is to come up from every dive.
Most of my dives do not involve any planning whatsoever. I consider myself a safe diver and love to show my buddies the sights at my favorite reefs.
I have a deck of C-cards collecting dust in a drawer.

Most of us don't drop into a single category.:wink:

I fit pretty well in the technical diver category. I take classes, after I have researched what I want to learn and who is known to teach it extremely well. I'm passionate about training, and think it ought to be better and more thorough for everybody. I'm passionate about diving, too, and love the places that my training has opened up to me. I'm confident in my gear and my skills, but I know my limits and I'm very respectful of them. (In that respect, I'm almost a rules follower!) It's not "my way or the highway", but I do enjoy diving with other, similarly trained and skilled people. Wouldn't everybody?

3 and 4 - absolute confidence in my own abilities. Will BS to do a dive I feel confident in doing, rather than defer to someone elses "rules". However I have been in an emergency and survived. I will defer to someone elses judgement, if they know me, know the dive, and I believe they have knowledge or skills I don't have. Otherwise rules are for others.

How about another category:

Lone wolf

Enjoys the company of others but not the BS that often accompanies social cliché's. Is often found with one or two buddies or alone. Highly respects the practical application of knowledge and values input from many sources but reserves the right to dive for him/herself. Dislikes "us or them" attitudes and "group" think. Has very specific reasons for diving and is determined to pursue them with or without others. Cares more about function than form. Will often alter or DIY equipment to suit a task. Is apt to solo. Thinks he/she knows his/her limitations but recognizes one could be wrong. Is cautious by nature but is also willing to push the envelope to achieve goals. Takes complete responsibility for his/her actions.
Often seen muttering to oneself in dive site parking lots while staring at equipment or reference materials.

I feel I could fall into that category.

I'm the kind of diver who just likes to get wet.Definitely not a professional diver, but I am confident in my abilities and I thoroughly enjoy my bottom time and seeing what is out there.Every dive that I do still holds the excitement of what I may see/experience.Meeting other divers who also love to dive is also big on my list.

How about another category:

Lone wolf

Enjoys the company of others but not the BS that often accompanies social cliché's. Is often found with one or two buddies or alone. Highly respects the practical application of knowledge and values input from many sources but reserves the right to dive for him/herself. Dislikes "us or them" attitudes and "group" think. Has very specific reasons for diving and is determined to pursue them with or without others. Cares more about function than form. Will often alter or DIY equipment to suit a task. Is apt to solo. Thinks he/she knows his/her limitations but recognizes one could be wrong. Is cautious by nature but is also willing to push the envelope to achieve goals. Takes complete responsibility for his/her actions.
Often seen muttering to oneself in dive site parking lots while staring at equipment or reference materials.

I feel I could fall into that category.
I like that one. Except I would add "has both a bark and a bite.":wink:

Why, Dave... I thought I was a Dork Diver just like you! Probably #4 but I'm waiting to vote.

Why, Dave... I thought I was a Dork Diver just like you! Probably #4 but I'm waiting to vote.

Yes, it is true that I am a self professed Dork Diver but I still fall into a few of the above categories.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom