Diver categories. What traits do you share?

Diver categories

• Obsessive Collector

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Rules Follower

Votes: 18 17.6%
  • Rule Breaker

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Carefree but Confident

Votes: 54 52.9%
  • The Minimalist

Votes: 15 14.7%
  • The Technical Diver

Votes: 14 13.7%
  • The good Teaching Professional

Votes: 16 15.7%
  • I'm new and don't know yet.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • None of the above - See my post

Votes: 2 2.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I zing my way into a 4-5, 'cause that's what I do. The additional courses I took have helped me improve my skills and my confidence, both diving solo and with a buddy.

2. The Rules Follower:
This person will not break the rules. They don't dive outside of their certification level - period. They have a sense that unless they have been certified any number of things can and will go wrong so they stay comfortably between the lines. They almost never volunteer to lead a dive.

I thought this was an easy doom and gloom option for me until I saw the last sentence. Noway - how am I going to make sure rules are followed if I am not in lead???

I will just have to start striving for 6 then because obviously I am not a perfect tight-wad follower :eyebrow:

I thought this was an easy doom and gloom option for me until I saw the last sentence. Noway - how am I going to make sure rules are followed if I am not in lead???

I will just have to start striving for 6 then because obviously I am not a perfect tight-wad follower :eyebrow:

You made damn sure during the extensive pre-dive briefing that the leader of the dive knew your rules!:wink:

I agree. This choice needs a "control freak" option.

I am minimalist but not in the description you used. I have been a passionate diver for 40+ years but only have one certification. I have seen no real need for more certification for things that I can and have learned on my own. I also tend to be minimalist in my gear configurations.

I've been diving off and on for ten years, an initial burst of enthusiasm then nothing but occasional holiday dives for several years (and often not even that). Just logged dive 110, but 10 of those have been in the last six weeks.

I'd like to think I'm headed toward #4 and avoiding the pitfalls of #3, but I've had a couple of "wow, that was dumb" moments and I've a long way to go.

I am minimalist but not in the description you used. I have been a passionate diver for 40+ years but only have one certification. I have seen no real need for more certification for things that I can and have learned on my own. I also tend to be minimalist in my gear configurations.

4. The Carefree but Confident:
They will take classes when they feel it will help them learn more. But will not take the elective classes. The don't feel the need to have a pocket full of cards but would not hesitate to dive at night, off a boat, navigate a new site or take pictures even though they don't have a certification in that specialty. They dive frequently and are generally very good divers but know their limitations and respect them.

I think this fits you better. You are confident in your diving and your gear. You have no need for a bunch of new fangled gear. A true minimalist at heart.:wink:

I seem to qualify for a new class:

"Crash Test Dummy" as I have been referred to.

Could I be a care free but confident minimalist (as per the captain) tech diver who will break a rule or 3. :)

I don't see a pure fit so I'd have to say a blend of 4 & 5.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom