DIR- GUE GUE DPV class: Experiences? Worth it? What do you learn?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
S

steinbil

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Background:
I don't currently own a DPV, and I'm currently saving up for Tech 1, but I can rent decent SUEX scooters from my local dive club where I do most of my diving these days. I've only tried a DPV once, on a shallow 20 min try-dive, and while it felt OK I was definitely aware of much higher task loading and wanting a third hand. Buoyancy was not too bad, as I was expecting that to be a challenge, but communicating with my buddy and doing simple things like checking my SPG was harder, as moving my primary light to the temporary hold was hard when I was already holding the DPV handle. I realize I could have let go of the DPV more than I did, but having to stop to check my SPG and not lose sight of my buddy etc. was taxing me mentally. All this to say, I'm inexperienced with DPVs and I realize there is much I could learn to get comfortable handling extra equipment like a DPV...

Questions:
- Has anybody here taken a GUE DPV class? If so, how was it? Do you recommend taking it?
- What do you learn in the GUE DPV class? What topics are covered?
- I heard GUE has taken some flack for offering this class, is it really not a necessary class? Should I just dive in and learn as I go?

My motivation for taking the class is getting more comfortable and confident using a DPV, so I can still enjoy the dives and be a good buddy and not just task fixating. Also, I like taking classes, and while I'm preparing for a Tech 1 class next year (hopefully), I wouldn't mind taking a class and learning something new and fun.

I'd love to hear from GUE divers with experience taking the class, or experienced GUE divers that learned DPV on their own, and also instructors teaching this class.
@AnnikaPersson @mer @johnkendall @kierentec

Questions:
- Has anybody here taken a GUE DPV class? If so, how was it? Do you recommend taking it?
Yep, I did. Never used a DPV on forehand and that made it quite interesting to say the least :) Struggled a lot during those 4 days, but also learned a lot.

- What do you learn in the GUE DPV class? What topics are covered?
The bulk of the class is about stress management as with all GUE classes. A DPV makes a lot of things more difficult. What we learned was: dive planning incl. gas, setup of the DPV, maneuvering, buoyancy management, towing and air sharing, team formation, etc.

- I heard GUE has taken some flack for offering this class, is it really not a necessary class? Should I just dive in and learn as I go?
Necessary, maybe not but it provides a solid base to plan and undertake longer DPV trips. I recommend it.

I can't reply on your questions, but I'd recommend that you do 5-6 dives with a scooter before committing too much - task loading is gonna feel way better after a few dives!
I've been with divers that didn't like diving with a DPV after dive 1 but were looking to purchase after dive 4😊

I’ve never heard of any flack related to DPV 1; though, I’ve definitely observed flack for things like Rec 3 (summoning @PfcAJ 💣 ).

I’m potentially taking DPV 1 in Jan and am happy to report back after the class.

I’ve never heard of any flack related to DPV 1; though, I’ve definitely observed flack for things like Rec 3 (summoning @PfcAJ 💣 ).

I’m potentially taking DPV 1 in Jan and am happy to report back after the class.
*closes eyes, breathes deeply, chooses peace*

I took the class, it was my first time using a DPV and I struggled a lot.

I found it quite useful, the gas / battery burn planning is pretty straightforward, but the towing exercises were the highlight for me. I've since been introduced to all kinds of weird towing techniques non-GUE DPV divers use and they made little sense to me, so it was good to see it done properly.

For what it's worth I ended up with a provisional rating and never went back to finish the class. The instructors offering the class exclusively use Suex scooters and expect you to buy or rent an XK from them. I now own a Blacktip which they would not allow for the class so it doesn't make sense to go back, but I still enjoyed the class.

*closes eyes, breathes deeply, chooses peace*

Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice

In fairness, I did tell @PfcAJ that I’m takin’ Rec 3, subsequently went on a dive with the dude when he visited, and I’m still here. 🤷🏼‍♂️. But I digress.

The instructors offering the class exclusively use Suex scooters and expect you to buy or rent an XK from them. I now own a Blacktip which they would not allow for the class so it doesn't make sense to go back, but I still enjoyed the class.

That situation sounds pretty f&cked, sorry that happened.

FWIW, I can tell you with 100% certainty that around here you can take the class with multiple makes and models including a Blacktip. Heck, my potential teammate for the Jan class will be diving a Gavin - he is lurking and can pop in if he wants to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom