Dir

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Twiddles

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Anybody here have opinions on Fundies or DIR. I posted in thier forums because I was interested in both how the gear to dive and in what TsandM was saying regarding her vastly improved bouyancy and dive control skills. If you have read my posts in the past you kow I am not fond of forking out more money for skills I feel I should have already been taught, BUT, the comments about bouyancy control in total absence of light, and movement techniques really intrigued me. I think the class may have some real benefit. The gear side I like because a lot of issues I am currently dealing with seem to have already been covered and would frankly have saved me a lot of money had I just done it DIR in the first place.

Any thoughts or opinions? Oh, and to save you and me some time if you have issues because of people associated just save it, I know exactly what you mean already. Im strictly interested in your opinions on the actual benefits vs hinderance of the class and the gear setups.

Thanks in advance :D

Nope, no opinions on that subject.

Search is your friend. Probably a thousand posts on the subject. (an exaggeration to be sure)

Anybody here have opinions on Fundies or DIR. I posted in thier forums because I was interested in both how the gear to dive and in what TsandM was saying regarding her vastly improved bouyancy and dive control skills. If you have read my posts in the past you kow I am not fond of forking out more money for skills I feel I should have already been taught, BUT, the comments about bouyancy control in total absence of light, and movement techniques really intrigued me. I think the class may have some real benefit. The gear side I like because a lot of issues I am currently dealing with seem to have already been covered and would frankly have saved me a lot of money had I just done it DIR in the first place.

Any thoughts or opinions? Oh, and to save you and me some time if you have issues because of people associated just save it, I know exactly what you mean already. Im strictly interested in your opinions on the actual benefits vs hinderance of the class and the gear setups.

Thanks in advance :D

Got it Boom and thanks for taking the time. Interested in local divers current opinions so if you have the time and your local (Northern California) post, if not, then have a nice dive. :D

Oh and im not trying to exclude anyone just because they are not local, its just that Im interested in hearing from divers that dive the same waters I do and why they like or dislike the system. I figure people who dive say even in S. California may have a different set of dive issues than people who dive N. California.

I believe Beto Navarra (?) is the local NorCal DIR-F instructor, and Joe Talavera at 5thD-X teaches DIR-style diving (though as a NAUI NTEC class).

Depending on how rigorous your open water class was, I'd seriously consider a class focusing on skills, safety, and teamwork well worth the money, as I'm thinking about doing the same thing.

Good luck.

To get it out of the way, I am NOT DIR, but do follow many of their ways and gear configurations. My dive buddy is a DIR diver, so I have had a great opportunity to learn.

Also research Hogarthian diving as it is the basis of DIR. There is a forum here that will cover some of your questions. Searching is a great way to get your questions answered. Make sure to poke around the GUE website. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/hogarthian-diving/

Don't let some of the "Others" get to you. I read the post. When you look at the gear and more importantly the why each piece is chosen and how it is stowed/deployed, it is easy to see how well it works. The skills will come with experience and training. First you will need to get your Hog setup and dive it with someone who uses the same configuration, doing drills and some skills. After you are comfortable with it, then take Fundies. A drysuit will be part of the gear too. If you truly want to go full DIR, then what you chose in the way of gear is important, but does not have to be all "H" branded. There are many top brands out there that are "tech" oriented.

Don't feel bad about the money not well spent, there are many of us who made the same mistakes before improving our gear and diving. Remember diving is about fun, but doing it safely is very important.

I believe Beto Navarra (?) is the local NorCal DIR-F instructor,

Beto Nava.

Adm. Linda and I took Fundies in 2002, shortly after it came out. They didn't even
give out cards for it back then. We had a fair amount of experience then (I had about
950 dives) and we still learned a lot. It will raise the bar on what you think is
competent diving. I don't dive a 100% DIR gear configuration, but it's close, and
it works.

Same here . . .I took it back in 2001 when it was just a short seminar with demonstration dives over a weekend; took it again this past August: much more comprehensive, better organized, with video camera feed-back of yourself (which is a big improvement in aiding the teaching of technique over the original class), in a course now lasting four days.

Back
Top Bottom