DIR- GUE Tec1 with CCR in the making?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bailout.

But also can’t fill the bailout? Or the o2?

Okay.
Using air as dil-out, which is fillable in a lot of places. O2 tanks don't take up near the space of +8 tanks for 2 divers which would be needed for 4 days of diving. I've made these trips diving OC and tank logistics are a pain but workable diving air, you just get stuck with pretty miserable bottom times.
These are just nitrox dives on CCR not Trimix I'm talking about.

Using air as dil-out, which is fillable in a lot of places. O2 tanks don't take up near the space of +8 tanks for 2 divers which would be needed for 4 days of diving. I've made these trips diving OC and tank logistics are a pain but workable diving air, you just get stuck with pretty miserable bottom times.
These are just nitrox dives on CCR not Trimix I'm talking about.
Again, the risk/reward ratio of “I don’t have to carry a few tanks” vs “this machine might contribute to me blacking out and drowning” doesn’t line up.

8 tanks is not a lot of tanks.

The goal of diving a piece of equipment is backwards.

The goal should be to go see stuff. If you require a rebreather to do it then ok. But gear for the sake of gear ain’t it.
I actually never had an interest in ccr but my wife ended up needing a ccr for her master's thesis/work. So I jumped in with her. I definitely subscribed to only dive a ccr if necessary for the task at hand. Now I'm a little more lenient with it. One I want to dive the ccr regularly to stay proficient. And two, sometimes I don't "need" the ccr for the dive at hand, but it adds value such as extra time for enjoyment.
I can see both sides of the coin. I do think the masses jumping to ccr too quickly is going to catch up to us. The number of cave deaths I believe will increase as more ccr's are adopted. Not due to the inherent risks of the ccr, but from mediocre instruction. I listen in when I see classes going on and sometimes cave ccr classes are just about "hey lets go do a long ass dive." Very similar to what you see with some local instructors' dpv classes. I have literally overheard conversations where an instructor insinuates you can carry alot less bottles on ccr. It seems the idea that a broken ccr becomes oc doesn't stick in some peoples' heads.

I actually never had an interest in ccr but my wife ended up needing a ccr for her master's thesis/work. So I jumped in with her. I definitely subscribed to only dive a ccr if necessary for the task at hand. Now I'm a little more lenient with it. One I want to dive the ccr regularly to stay proficient. And two, sometimes I don't "need" the ccr for the dive at hand, but it adds value such as extra time for enjoyment.
I can see both sides of the coin. I do think the masses jumping to ccr too quickly is going to catch up to us. The number of cave deaths I believe will increase as more ccr's are adopted. Not due to the inherent risks of the ccr, but from mediocre instruction. I listen in when I see classes going on and sometimes cave ccr classes are just about "hey lets go do a long ass dive." Very similar to what you see with some local instructors' dpv classes. I have literally overheard conversations where an instructor insinuates you can carry alot less bottles on ccr. It seems the idea that a broken ccr becomes oc doesn't stick in some peoples' heads.

How many ccr deaths have there been from not carrying enough gas?
All the ones I know of they died on the RB or before bailing out.

How many ccr deaths have there been from not carrying enough gas?
All the ones I know of they died on the RB or before bailing out.
I agree that all of the deaths on ccr in a cave I can think of weren't from not carrying enough gas. Usually something else.
I reread what I wrote and I didn't express what I was trying to say well. I didn't mean specifically there's going to be more deaths due to not enough gas. I was more eluding to the lunacy I hear from instructors from time to time at dive sites that scares me because it goes against basic ccr principles. I believe more people getting into ccr will lead to more deaths due to bad ccr instruction, whether that be poor gas management, risk management, or failure management training.

Yeah I agree, if you are not going to build a theoretical knowledge base beyond what some instructor dude says

You should not be diving anything

If you can’t get a nitrox fill I think you’re going to have a tough time getting RB support
sure not as easy as air but shipping sorb is doable. O2 you get almost (to) everywhere, might be <150 bars but still enough

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom