DIR- GUE Tec1 with CCR in the making?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So you see now deep air is coming back. 60-65m is getting more and more normal again.
Is there any evidence for this?
In my environment I don't see more deep air dives. There are a few people, who still think they are superman and the rules of natural science don't apply to them. But these are the same people doing this since 20 years...

What is evidence? In france it was done always. But tourists took sometimes their own trimix with them to do the same dives on trimix. What I see already here is that people say 'hmmm, the end of 30m can be 40m as this is a normal depth in recreational diving and it saves already 25 bucks a dive'. Then people say: we went without problems to 45m or 50m, so let's do it again.
A real evidence is not there, but what I see around me is that people still want to do dives up to 60m and if they don't have a ccr, they decide to do it on air. And sometimes they don't talk about it, as it feels 'forbidden'.
But I had never the question to teach deep air, but the last year 3 people asked me about it.

Is there any evidence for this?
In my environment I don't see more deep air dives. There are a few people, who still think they are superman and the rules of natural science don't apply to them. But these are the same people doing this since 20 years...
I know dive professionals who do deep air up to 1.4 pO2 (privately, with an eye on the CNS clock)... Especially in locations where HE is difficult to get. Personally, I believe the 30m limit in technical diving is more about best practice & liability. I don't have a problem with air to 40m or a bit deeper on occasion. This is one of the reasons I appreciate side mount diving, air on the left and 32% on the right, reduces deco time.

If somebody is looking for the CNS clock on such a dive it only shows me, that he is not a professional.
Yea my bad... was my own interpretation... point is that there are divers who are experienced enough to know them self and their limits

I'm all for talking about deep(ish) air, but of all the forums this is not the one to do it in.

I'd be interested to see the CCR accident stats on recreation CCR use vs. recreational OC.
Because pitting tech CCR against recreational OC is just not a reasonable comparison.

Interesting context on this topic (T1 in CCR) from InDepth today:

Some years ago, GUE created a more direct path to rebreather training, allowing divers to take its CCR1 introductory rebreather course without first taking its Tech 2 open circuit course. According to president Jarrod Jablonski, the organization is currently evaluating a variety of pathways that provide access to rebreather diving even earlier in the technical training process. If approved, these changes would likely take place before the end of 2024.

“For now, GUE has approved the opportunity for waiver of the 25 deep experience dives after Tech 1 training, greatly reducing the cost of gasses needed for progression to the CCR1 program,” Jablonski told InDEPTH, meaning that GUE divers can take their CCR1 course directly after completing Tech 1. “The waiver is case-dependent and not compulsory for a given instructor, but can be a useful stop-gap measure while GUE formalizes an optimal path forward given all the variables involved.”

So as said, the chimney must smoke. Money must be earned. If courses are not sold anymore, you must look at other options. And if you don't want to dive deep air, you must introduce a way to hold students with you, otherwise you will miss the boat.
A waiver for the experience dives is in my opinion just a way to hold people with you. But it also means that there is getting less and less difference between other agencies. But that was already visible since a few years. And if you don't give the waiver quite fast, there will also some deep air done to get the experience dives. All divers are human.
You must change things as the prices increase and people want to do things. For this reason also ccr and sidemount was introduced a few years ago. There is never a rigid way, happely not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom