Question Alternatives to Regulator Savvy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wnissen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I would be keenly interested in a technical book about regulators that has the benefit of professional copyediting. Way down on the list of desires would be metric measurements, but a diver can dream, can't he? Maybe books published in the UK? Just looking for something to familiarize myself with the parts and function of the regulators so I can service my new HOG D3 and Zenith regulators as part of rsingler's class.

Please don't argue that Regulator Savvy is fine. I already own it. I'm glad that it's great for you. You can feel free to regard me as an insufferable fussbudget but if I have to read about o'rings one more time I'm going to have an aneurysm. Thanks.

Aside from specific manufacturer’s manuals — and they frequently have their own issues with decent copy editing — you’re facing a big o’ring, in terms of “technical books” (of which I wouldn’t include Harlow’s grassroots approach), and really out o’luck . . .

There have been two "bibles". The aforementioned "gold standard" - Reg Savvy and there is "Scuba Regulator Maintenance & Repair" by Harlow.

I have to guiltily agree with your assessment of Regulator Savvy. No one else seems to have put in the time to write a comprehensive book on regulators, so don’t want to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Highly recommend rsingler’s class. He had an analytical and scientific backgound and clarify points which aren’t as elegantly explained in the book.

I'm not sure what exactly you are looking for outside of the manufacturer service manuals. Nobody has collected and rewritten those into a single volume because regulator parts and specs change unpredictably over time, often without any changes to the model name.

Back to Regulator Savvy... The entire point of it is that you want to go beyond replacing parts and understand how regs work at a theoretical level so you can do things like accurately troubleshoot problems, do safe field fixes, perhaps repair instead of replacing parts, and work on regs that you haven't seen before.

O-rings get a lot of coverage because they (and their proper removal and replacement) are the heart of reg troubleshooting and servicing. If you think they are covered in too much depth in Regulator Savvy, you are going to be tearing your hair out if you take rsingler's class.

Now that I'm done with the lecture, I will make a practical suggestion. :)

Download and read the Deep6 service manual. It's by far the best I've seen. I'm certain rsingler had a lot of input into the current version (for one thing, I'm pretty sure I recognize his fancy vise lined with belt cutoffs). It won't exactly match your HOG regs, but they are similar designs by the same designer.

If you want a simplified general introduction to how regulators work then I'll suggest hitting up YouTube. Search "scuba regulator animation" or "scuba regulator explained".

Download and read the Deep6 service manual. It's by far the best I've seen. I'm certain rsingler had a lot of input into the current version (for one thing, I'm pretty sure I recognize his fancy vise lined with belt cutoffs). It won't exactly match your HOG regs, but they are similar designs by the same designer.
Rsingler wrote the whole thing and it’s indeed a masterpiece. The old version was lacking, especially with a blurry schematic they never bothered to fix.

Basic Scuba by Fred Roberts, it is the Regulator Savvy for we double hose aficionados.

I'm not sure what exactly you are looking for outside of the manufacturer service manuals. Nobody has collected and rewritten those into a single volume because regulator parts and specs change unpredictably over time, often without any changes to the model name.

Back to Regulator Savvy... The entire point of it is that you want to go beyond replacing parts and understand how regs work at a theoretical level so you can do things like accurately troubleshoot problems, do safe field fixes, perhaps repair instead of replacing parts, and work on regs that you haven't seen before.

O-rings get a lot of coverage because they (and their proper removal and replacement) are the heart of reg troubleshooting and servicing. If you think they are covered in too much depth in Regulator Savvy, you are going to be tearing your hair out if you take rsingler's class.

Now that I'm done with the lecture, I will make a practical suggestion. :)

If you want a simplified general introduction to how regulators work then I'll suggest hitting up YouTube. Search "scuba regulator animation" or "scuba regulator explained".
To be clear, my problem is entirely with the editing, not the content. So many grammatical errors. “O-ring” is replaced with “o’ring” everywhere. @Bigbella really made me laugh about that, so maybe I can get over my persistent eye twitches and ignore the presentation.

But the Deep6 manual is an excellent suggestion, I will check that out.

Back
Top Bottom