Question Why is my octopus missing an alternate regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elco28

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I inherited a bunch of dive gear a few years ago, got it serviced in late 2019 but never ended up using it. My only dive trip was in 2017 and I live in Colorado, so I would like to get rid of the gear and just rent whenever I end up doing my next trip.
Looking at my Sherwood octopus, I noticed it only has 3 hoses: one for a regulator, low pressure inflator, and pressure gauge. Why isn't there a hose for an alternate regulator? I'm not sure whether this used to be the norm for older models, or if I'm missing something. Unfortunately I have lost the phone number of the woman who gave me the gear, and I don't seem to have any paper or electronic record of the servicing from 2019.
Forgive me if this is a silly question--I'm still a relatively inexperienced diver, but I want to make sure I'm giving this gear to someone knowing everything I can about it.

Attachments

• PXL_20230624_184610269.jpg
    PXL_20230624_184610269.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 131
Looking at my Sherwood octopus

The world "octopus" is the term used for the "alternate" second stage. What you are looking at is a "regulator system" without an alternate second/octopus. The alternate second (SSI calls it "safe second" I think) or octopus is a "second" second stage that is bought by itself. When you buy a regulator, it doesn't mean that it will have an octopus with it, you have to buy that as an add-on to complete the set.

I inherited a bunch of dive gear a few years ago, got it serviced in late 2019 but never ended up using it. My only dive trip was in 2017 and I live in Colorado, so I would like to get rid of the gear and just rent whenever I end up doing my next trip.
Looking at my Sherwood octopus, I noticed it only has 3 hoses: one for a regulator, low pressure inflator, and pressure gauge. Why isn't there a hose for an alternate regulator? I'm not sure whether this used to be the norm for older models, or if I'm missing something. Unfortunately I have lost the phone number of the woman who gave me the gear, and I don't seem to have any paper or electronic record of the servicing from 2019.
Forgive me if this is a silly question--I'm still a relatively inexperienced diver, but I want to make sure I'm giving this gear to someone knowing everything I can about it.
That was the normal configuration before an alternate source/octopus was added. The reg show is air balanced so people will constantly tell you it’s leaking as a stream of bubbles constantly comes out of what looks like the black button.

Yep. wherever the BCD is that was with that set, there is a combo regulator/inflator on it....

... Looking at my Sherwood octopus, I noticed it only has 3 hoses: one for a regulator, low pressure inflator, and pressure gauge. Why isn't there a hose for an alternate regulator? ...
Others already mentioned that that "low pressure inflator" hose there on your 1st stage plugs into a combination back-up second stage + power inflator. You can replace this hose with a regular power inflator hose (to use with a regular power inflator), if you wish.

And you can remove one of the low pressure ports from your 1st stage, and attach a regulator hose to which is attached a (another) regular 2nd stage, if you wish. This will be your octopus 2nd stage.

Maybe you already know this, but it wasn't so long ago that people would regularly dive using neither an octopus 2nd stage nor a combination back-up 2nd stage + power inflator. When open water courses taught buddy breathing, this simpler, less cluttered configuration was a "standard" configuration. My NAUI/YMCA open water course in 1986 used this simpler configuration. I still dive this way, myself, sometimes.

rx7diver

But

Here is an article you can read that will give you a quick tutorial on different type of regulators and their features. It might help fill any gaps you have in your knowledge of this subject.

I sometimes dive with one second stage on my main cylinder, so my configuration would be similar to the one in the opening post. I have specific reasons for a specific set of circumstances (I can see that statement kicking off a whole discussion!). Not recommended for beginners.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom