Is certification necessary for shallow water diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are many activities that we engage in that are or can be dangerous to ourselves or others. Sure, the Darwin System..aka The Dumb Die...would eliminate the untrained but that looks bad on whatever activity eliminated them. Requiring some type of Certification means that that person has at least hopefully met the minimum requirements.

However, it's all a matter of perspective. That four hour course at the island resort might seem like a lot of work but later on when you're looking up at a hundred and thirty foot of water and out of air, you'll wish you had lots more training.

You either don't understand "minimum requirements" or you are being a jerk. Which us it?
You either do not understand what "good" and "bad" means or you are being a moron. Which is it?

Your class did not meet standards. Are you holding it up as an example of a good class or a bad class?
At the time it was what was available to me after transferring from NASDS over to PADI and going through an entire reevaluation program including Open Water checkouts prior to certification. All instructors went by the PADI Divemaster requirements we had to pass before earning our certification including ‘Staged’ rescue dives, different ‘Out of air’ exercises. And taking required rescue, CPR, First Aid and even a Lifeguard course to pass it. There was more including written exams. I am sure these requirements are much different now but I honestly can’t ‘brand’ my DM certification as a ‘bad’ course or program.

You either do not understand what "good" and "bad" means or you are being a moron. Which is it?
Hmmmmm, it seems as if there is a varied ‘School-of-thought’ going around amongst those responding to this thread. I reckon I stand with the current and up-to-date opinions stressing safety. It also shows that there are ‘good’ classes and better ones available to anyone interested. …I AM intrigued by what I have been reading. Although I consider myself inactive, I still have an interest in recent trends.

At the time it was what was available to me after transferring from NASDS over to PADI and going through an entire reevaluation program including Open Water checkouts prior to certification. All instructors went by the PADI Divemaster requirements we had to pass before earning our certification including ‘Staged’ rescue dives, different ‘Out of air’ exercises. And taking required rescue, CPR, First Aid and even a Lifeguard course to pass it. There was more including written exams. I am sure these requirements are much different now but I honestly can’t ‘brand’ my DM certification as a ‘bad’ course or program.
I don't know why you are responding to me. My post about a class not meeting standards was to another poster who said his OW class had less than 40 minutes of BT over 4 dives.

I don't know why you are responding to me. My post about a class not meeting standards was to another poster who said his OW class had less than 40 minutes of BT over 4 dives.
..my ‘bad’ . I did spot an earlier response covering my input topic. …not relevant, I see.

Respectfully Yours,
Scott G. Bonser

I had not came across any operator who did not ask to see my C card FIRST.
This actually got me thinking about when I've been asked for a card. Overseas, pretty much always been asked to see a card. Back home in the UK, I don't think I've ever shown a card for air fills, entry to inland sites, dive boats etc.

I've no idea how the number of uncertified divers compares to certified divers in the UK, or anywhere else in the world for that matter. It would be interesting to see if the probability of being asked to show a card correlated with the percentage of uncertified divers in an area. I think it would be near impossible to accurately collect data to measure this though.

Back
Top Bottom