Is certification necessary for shallow water diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"The New Science if Skin and Scuba Diving" was how my old man learned, and he was my instructor, with a handful of dives. Due to gear constraints, we were only in the water together to practice buddy breathing. I kept diving he quit when he saw what he wanted. The same material was covered 17 years later in my OW course.

That book was the basis for all the training manuals in the new agencies that started. "The New Science if Skin and Scuba Diving" by the Conference for National Cooperation in Aquatics and was a collaboration of the most knowledgeable people in diving and education to produce a book to train divers so that the escalating deaths of scuba divers (interchangable with skin divers at the time) would be stopped. The first edition in 1958 did not have New in the title, that first appeared on the 1962 edition, which was the one I learned on in '62.
The Sonoma State University NAUI diving program used the NSoSSD as their text book. At least it was still used when Ron Hunt was in charge of the program up to a few years ago.
You’re right, it was the basis for all the current training standards across the board, for exception of a few tweaks here and there.

Can such things be done? I suppose so, but they are, by law, required. Not so much in diving.

In the US at least.
I guess you didn't see this part?
"Yes, some things like driving or piloting require the card to be legal but it has nothing to do with the actual job of piloting, diving or driving, etc."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom