Certification for 40 (+?) meters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Deep speciality is not meant for OW.
Reading your post it seems to me that the PADI Deep is probably the ideal course for you at your stage of diving. I do not know why you think it is for OW.

OP wrote Advanced OW

I have IANTD OWD (local), PADI AOWD (Thailand) and SSI Nitrox (local),

OP wrote Advanced OW

I have IANTD OWD (local), PADI AOWD (Thailand) and SSI Nitrox (local),

Nope. He is certed to that level and ask for something not at OW level (as per the quote in my reply)

Looking at the PADI Deep on the PADI website it is quite possibly of questionable value if the school doesn't really give any added value. I understand the OP's point of view and his question. However as a vacation diver worried about the insurance the PADI speciality seems adequate to me. The Tek 40 is a much better option but overkill for a few dives each year on holiday. I am sure I read recently the prerequisite to Tek 40 is a PADI Deep cert (or equivalent)

I strongly recommend doing the deep diver course before doing any tech course.

Tech 40 is an entry course, but in my opinion completing the rec deep courses before starting any tech courses is the right way. Including rescue, which teaches the skills to monitor other divers. Not a bad thing being that deep.

Other then that: plan your dive and dive your plan.
If 30m is the planned depth, no one should be at 31 or deeper.

I had a huge mola mola at brothers islands at around 50m. I am certified to much deeper levels. But the equipment and plan was for 40m.
Everyone in the group went deeper expect me and my buddy. No one of them was certified for that.

If you are experienced and plan to go deeper, then your certified depth (which is not uncommon to find divers at 45m with the right experience), you plan for it!!! and the buddy must agree. And you need to take into consideration, that some insurance will not cover you anymore and dive centers might kick you out. For a good reason.

So in my opinion stay in certified levels and again: plan the dive, dive your plan

I
Nope. He is certed to that level and ask for something not at OW level (as per the quote in my reply)

Looking at the PADI Deep on the PADI website it is quite possibly of questionable value if the school doesn't really give any added value. I understand the OP's point of view and his question. However as a vacation diver worried about the insurance the PADI speciality seems adequate to me. The Tek 40 is a much better option but overkill for a few dives each year on holiday. I am sure I read recently the prerequisite to Tek 40 is a PADI Deep cert (or equivalent)
I found the course useful as well as just a way to get the tick in the box for 40m. Eg it included deep dives - of course; ‘experience’ of the effects of gas narcosis under the control of an instructor (although I completed puzzles at depth at the same speed as at the surface); navigation at depth; breathing and ascending off alternative air supplies and carrying and using a pony; and simulated emergency deco.

So in my opinion stay in certified levels and again: plan the dive, dive your plan

I think everyone can agree that the ideal is to plan and follow an agreed plan. We are all human of course and the horde of gold bars might tempt us a little bit deeper....

For recreational divers one of the main things to learn (IMHO anyway) about deeper dives is gas planning. This topic is not covered enough in recreational dive courses. On a 20-30m dive you can just look at the SPG and return topside if it is nearing the 50bar or whatever you normally start the ascent with. Even with a safety stop you hit the surface with enough gas to keep the reg in and wait for the boat.

Once you start to go deeper you have to take into account the faster gas consumption and the need to have enough to make a safety and maybe even a small deco stop. Your computer will help you with the deco if it is unintended but there is only as much gas in the tank as there is and once you run out there is only one option - surface.

All this is covered in deeper courses including the Tek 40 course no doubt.

I wish some of the more basic "deep" courses covered this a bit better. It would add value to the training a great deal.

All >30 meters dives were at 28-30 % nitrox. I had my computer set up to pO2 1,5 bar alarm and never reached this limit. I did not even reach pO2 1,4 bar on this dive.

Honestly, I very much doubt any Deep Specialty gives any additional knowledge value - it is still non deco, gas consumption rules are the same, narcosis and O2 toxicity follow the same physics - , that is, unless the instructor really drops in something extra. My main concern is the insurance thing, but maybe it would be the cheapest just to get the basic DAN.

I have been thinking, actually since the beginning to do the Rescue course, as I see a lot of value there... But then again, 20 dives a year, maybe less, and Rescue course is like 400 €, Deep is maybe 200 €, Basuc Tec 500 or more, I just did Nitrox... It adds up and diving is not cheap as it is.

I would not plan to go to 40 meters anyway, my SAC before this liveaboard was over 16 l/min, I photograph all the time and hence move a lot (more than a non photographying diver). And my technique :D .

Perhaps not enough to warrant a full course, but the main thing I took away from the Deep Diver specialty was an appreciation of how long it takes to get to the surface safely

But then again, 20 dives a year, maybe less, and

Yeah really not a lot of dives. I just did a short dive vacation in June. 10 diving days 30 dives. Did another 50 dives earlier in the year and will do 35 dives at least in Maldives later this year. This is below my normal dives per year which is normally 200 - 250 a year.

Next year I will get back to regular 12 - 14 diving days trips every 7 weeks or so.

Honestly, I very much doubt any Deep Specialty gives any additional knowledge value - it is still non deco, gas consumption rules are the same, narcosis and O2 toxicity follow the same physics - , that is, unless the instructor really drops in something extra.

If you get narc'ed enough to perform poorly on the little tests they give you, that may be a learning experience, but that's a bit of an if.

The PADI Deep specialty is intended for divers with AOW, not sure where you’re getting the idea that it’s a class for OW students. It IS the “upgrade” you are looking for.

“Adventure Diver” or AOW is a prerequisite to take Deep; you can’t enroll in it with just an open water cert. (“Adventure Diver” is a subset of AOW, basically three of the five AOW dives).

Whether or not it’s worth it depends a great deal on who you take it with. PADI standards require the course to cover things like how to conduct emergency decompression stops, what to do if you go into deco by accident (but miss your stop), etc. A great instructor will cover dive planning, dive contingencies, secondary air sources, etc.

Back
Top Bottom