Minimum required training to dive to 30m (100ft) with Padi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is a PADI Rescue Adventure Dive that can be included in the Advanced Open Water Diver course. This Adventure Dive can be credited towards the Rescue Diver course if completed within the last 12 months and at the Instructor's discretion.
Glad you pointed this fact, I had started to doubt myself...as its been awhile since I've actually looked it up, thought it may have changed.

It is indeed the case that boat operators REQUIRE the certification. There would be no problem without that, as we could go slowly to the depth we want.

But if I correctly read from these, it is basically only option with PADI to do AOWD to get that certification towards boat operators.

But if done with SSI, there could only be one extra mandatory course. This could then be the cheapest and least effort towards the coursing here to do on a holiday to get to the depth certification.
What you say makes a lot of sense. Common sense even, which is often not so common. A dive operator should allow a diver with a Deep certification to dive to 100 ft (30M). Whether they do or not, is the question. An operator, or their insurance agency, that understands the certs should have no problem with it. However, if they don’t, they may only be looking for “Advanced.”

I dive mostly off of private boats, so don’t know if this is an issue or not. Might be worthwhile to call or email a few ops to make sure they will accept Deep.

Glad you pointed this fact, I had started to doubt myself...as its been awhile since I've actually looked it up, thought it may have changed.
Unfortunately there is a lot of PADI misinformation communicated by people who don't know and even by people that should know. Two examples in this thread...Enriched Air and Rescue Diver are both very valid Adventure Dives that can be taken during a PADI AOW class. Whether your dive shop / instructor want to make them available to the student is up to them.

don't recall any of the PADI materials recommending either of these things for an OW diver, just that they are certified to 60 feet. And that AOW certifies you to 100. Deep diver to 130.
According to this thread, that's not true.

Many of the "knowledgeable regulars" have stated that there is no specific depth limitation regardless of the level of certification up to the 130' recreational limit.

Many of the "knowledgeable regulars" have stated that there is no specific depth limitation regardless of the level of certification up to the 130' recreational limit.

... unless you're CMAS-certified "autonomous plunger" (60m) or BSAC-certified sub-aqua-leader (55 or 56, I forget).

Unfortunately there is a lot of PADI misinformation communicated by people who don't know and even by people that should know. Two examples in this thread...Enriched Air and Rescue Diver are both very valid Adventure Dives that can be taken during a PADI AOW class. Whether your dive shop / instructor want to make them available to the student is up to them.
How can Enriched Air be a valid dive, when no dive is required to do the Enriched Air cert?

How can Enriched Air be a valid dive, when no dive is required to do the Enriched Air cert?
Do a wet dive on a bottle of nitrox, with brief demo of MOD calc and tank content testing?

AOW is just 5 supervised dives for experience. What they cover is kinda agnostic as to content. Deep (look, color changes and your ndl bottom time is shorter) and nav (this is a compass; you can use it to swim a straight line, in a given direction, for a short distance and return). Then three miscellaneous supervised dives with a slight emphasis on certain attributes. Making nitrox one of those is easy. There is nothing advanced wrt AOW training.

Do a wet dive on a bottle of nitrox, with brief demo of MOD calc and tank content testing?
But typically, the specialty dives you do during AOW is the first of the required dives for that specialty. There is no dive required for Nitrox.

But typically, the specialty dives you do during AOW is the first of the required dives for that specialty. There is no dive required for Nitrox.
There can be a dive or two as part of the nitrox course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom