Minimum required training to dive to 30m (100ft) with Padi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the replies.

I feel that I was not fully clear on the question, sorry about that. :)

It is indeed the case that boat operators REQUIRE the certification. There would be no problem without that, as we could go slowly to the depth we want.

But if I correctly read from these, it is basically only option with PADI to do AOWD to get that certification towards boat operators.

But if done with SSI, there could only be one extra mandatory course. This could then be the cheapest and least effort towards the coursing here to do on a holiday to get to the depth certification.

I am counting here the bucks (or in this case euros), because the diving we do is mostly out of boats and in the tropics with DM and and an operator.

Is there some flaw now on my thinking?

No. There are no dives for the Rescue certification that count toward AOW.

You may be surprised at how rewarding some of those AOW dives might be. I did my AOW in a tropical location, and one of my dives was Fish ID. I have done many hundreds of dives in such locations since, and I assure you it makes a big difference on those dives and your memory of them when you can identify what you are looking at and when you can understand the behaviors you are observing.
There is a PADI Rescue Adventure Dive that can be included in the Advanced Open Water Diver course. This Adventure Dive can be credited towards the Rescue Diver course if completed within the last 12 months and at the Instructor's discretion.

If the boat wants AOW, that's one class with PADI (max training depth of 100 ft/30 m). You should also get the benefit of instruction into compass use and several other areas (e.g., improved buoyancy, night, search, insight into fish behavior/identification, etc.) This is a total of 5 feedback opportunities (dives) with an instructor. The SSI equivalent is Advanced Adventurer, also one class, 100 ft/30m max training depth, and 5 dives (though I don't know if navigation is mandatory).

To achieve a max training depth of 130 ft/40m, SSI Deep is one class focused on, well, going deep (3 dives). Yes, PADI would be two classes (but also 8 dives with professional feedback).

If all the boat requires is AOW or equivalent, I would personally do a 5-dive class with either agency and gradually extend your experience as you feel comfortable.

ETA: do note that the SSI Advanced Open Water recognition is awarded after completing 4 full specialties. This is very different than the PADI AOW or SSI Advanced Adventurer hurdle imposed by some boat operators.

Just want to add, I don't think that there's any 'adventure dive' for nitrox, or any nitrox training provided with AOW. PADI would prefer you write another check for that.
Incorrect. You can perform an Adventure Dive for Enriched Air if the instructor is also an Enriched Air Instructor and you are over the age of 12.

But if done with SSI, there could only be one extra mandatory course. This could then be the cheapest and least effort towards the coursing here to do on a holiday to get to the depth certification.

It was a while back that I looked (so far hasn't run into an operator requiring the cert), but I think you're correct: you can get an SSI deep cert without the full AOW. Whether your op will accept it is another question.

IIRC @stuartv did something along those lines back when.

In addition to many boats requiring Advanced for certain dives, some guided shore dives may require AOW.

My shop offers many guided shore dives that require AOW or equivalent due to depths, currents etc. We have others more beginner friendly.

AOW gives students 5 more dives with an instructor looking over their shoulder. No matter what the actual adventure dive is, I’m always guiding my AOW students towards being competent, independent (with a buddy) divers.

Every dive of the AOW course students will work on and get feedback and pointers on safety, gear, buoyancy, propulsion, trim, navigation, buddy skils, non-silting etc.

And for those who say they should have learned all that in OW: I’ll point out that Summer McIntosh, who just won a pile of Olympic swimming medals, has done thousands of swim practices and hundreds of races yet still works with a coach on technique.

In addition to many boats requiring Advanced for certain dives, some guided shore dives may require AOW.

Not to mention places like Malta where shops are legally not allowed to rent you equipment to dive without an instructor (not even divemaster) if you're not AOW or equivalent.

Agreed, many LOBs and dive resorts require AOW. It is only five dives and personally I found it extremely useful, we had an excellent instructor which helped a lot. Most divers consider it necessary to dive more advanced sites.

But if I correctly read from these, it is basically only option with PADI to do AOWD to get that certification towards boat operators.

I am counting here the bucks (or in this case euros), because the diving we do is mostly out of boats and in the tropics with DM and and an operator.

Is there some flaw now on my thinking?

I think you are misinterpreting the 5 topics. They are not separate "courses".

The PADI advanced open water certification is only 1 course. The course requires 5 dives which would usually take place over 2 or 3 days. Just like your basic certification required several dives over the course of a few days.

The course is really just 5 supervised dives. Each dive has a theme that you can select to make things more interesting. But it is a really big stretch to call each dive a separate course unless you call a 30 minute predive brief a "course". You are not going to end up with 5 cards at the end and no one is going to know what the 5 themes you selected were. At the end of the course you end up with one card that says "advanced open water"

I don't know what the requirements are for an equivalent cert other agencies, but 5 dives isn't a lot. I am skeptical that anyone is handing out "advanced" certifications with less than that, and if was a 2-dive advanced certification I wouldn't be surprised if it was not accepted by the operator as sufficient experience.

I think you are misinterpreting the 5 topics. They are not separate "courses".

The PADI advanced open water certification is only 1 course. The course requires 5 dives which would usually take place over 2 or 3 days. Just like your basic certification required several dives over the course of a few days.

The course is really just 5 supervised dives. Each dive has a theme that you can select to make things more interesting. But it is a really big stretch to call each dive a separate course unless you call a 30 minute predive brief a "course". You are not going to end up with 5 cards at the end and no one is going to know what the 5 themes you selected were. At the end of the course you end up with one card that says "advanced open water"

I don't know what the requirements are for an equivalent cert other agencies, but 5 dives isn't a lot. I am skeptical that anyone is handing out "advanced" certifications with less than that, and if was a 2-dive advanced certification I wouldn't be surprised if it was not accepted by the operator as sufficient experience.
SDI is the same. Those dives count as one of the dives from the other certifications.

Back
Top Bottom