Cozumel Dive Shop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ha! If an Op rinses & stores wet suits, the pee-soup will just be shared. I wouldn't want to hand wash your underwear! If you can't wait for yours to stop dripping, then stuff it in a waterproof bag until you get to your room, then rinse & dry it yourself. I take a small bottle of pet urine remover on trips to add.
03.gif

LOL. I applaud your practicality. I have to say with the concerns so many have of demanding the ultimate valet service when diving, you'd think these same people would demand the same in all aspects of their vacation and only be staying at the Ritz with private butler service to their suite. Seems to be some sort of disconnect between these two things.

Go diving you babies and dry the tears if you have to actually gear yourself up or carry some wet gear.

Jacque Cousteau would be rolling in his grave if he read this thread.

:poke:

LOL. I applaud your practicality. I have to say with the concerns so many have of demanding the ultimate valet service when diving, you'd think these same people would demand the same in all aspects of their vacation and only being staying at the Ritz with private butler service to their suite. Seems to be some sort of disconnect between these two things.

I am pretty sure that is EXACTLY what Moss goes for in lodging. Or he might have a batman, I am not sure.

This isn't to the point of dive shops handling wetsuits, peed in or not. My personal nirvana is to have the equipment with me in case I want to dive.

Found a great solution a few years ago in a 3 mil long sleeved jacket, a 1.5 mil neoprene long sleeved shirt (kinda fleece lined) and a 1.5 mil hooded vest. I also have a second 1.5 mil hood if I'm feeling cold. If I had too, I also have a front zip 3mil long sleeved shorty, and I know how to use it. It used to be employed in my hydrate/dive/don't pee in wetsuit strategy. (For my body, keeping the core temp up really helps. I could dive cenotes in the above and be toasty warm.)

Just wanted to mention this because it took me some looking to find the right items. The shirts are from Hyperflex and the 3mil jacket is from NRS and is called a "Grizzly". I think they make non-Grizzly jackets too. Neoprene comes off me immediately post dive, but I have noticed that when wet, the Hyperflex shirts actually cut air flow better than wet 3 mil neoprene. Also, they're small enough that I can put on a dry one for the second dive. I can easily pack 4 of them, dive 4 dives a day, and put on dry neoprene for every dive. If I want to get my core temp up, I put the dry one on for the SI. It's black. It's fleecy. Even a few minutes in the sun goes a long way. With one of those black, ubiquitous, cotton, long sleeved diving themed hoodies you see all over Cozumel on top, I can make a second dive feel like welcome relief from the heat.

Hopefully clear, and as usual, copious. Just like urine should be on a dive trip.

-Blair

Ha! If an Op rinses & stores wet suits, the pee-soup will just be shared. I wouldn't want to hand wash your underwear! If you can't wait for yours to stop dripping, then stuff it in a waterproof bag until you get to your room, then rinse & dry it yourself. I take a small bottle of pet urine remover on trips to add.
03.gif
I've had my underwear hand-washed at dive resorts before. They did a great job.

---------- Post added February 4th, 2014 at 10:30 AM ----------

You're right Don, there is a term for it, poor thermal protection. If you can't control your ability to pee during a 60 minute dive, you need a better wetsuit. Since switching to a 7 mil I don't usually feel cold at all, and I rarely feel the need to pee. And when i do i am able to control it. I think that people just get in the habit of doing it, and most don't even try to hold off. Imagine if you did that in the rest of your life, just peeing in your clothes every time you felt the urge. That will limit your career options :)
If you don't feel the urge to pee underwater during a 60 minute dive, you're obviously not hydrated enough. "Holding it in" can lead to bladder infections or worse. In the "rest of my life" above water, I can simply go to the restroom or pee behind a tree if necessary. Once, on a bus from Tijuana to Mexicali, I peed in empty Carta Blanca bottles. But I don't bring empty Carta Blanca bottles with me on every dive (maybe Don does?) nor have I ever been able to spot the public restroom or even a convenient tree underwater, not even at Cedral! So I just let it flow, same as I do in a public pool when it's too inconvenient to get out of the water.

---------- Post added February 4th, 2014 at 10:36 AM ----------

LOL. I applaud your practicality. I have to say with the concerns so many have of demanding the ultimate valet service when diving, you'd think these same people would demand the same in all aspects of their vacation and only be staying at the Ritz with private butler service to their suite. Seems to be some sort of disconnect between these two things.

Go diving you babies and dry the tears if you have to actually gear yourself up or carry some wet gear.

Jacque Cousteau would be rolling in his grave if he read this thread.

:poke:
You don't think Jacques had someone else deal with his gear for him? I just can't imagine Jacques rinsing his own pee out of his wetsuit.

When did they put a Ritz on Cozumel? I'll have to give it try.

But I usually do stay at a fancy place that brings my luggage to the room and where I don't have to make my own drinks.

I have hundreds of dives on local boats where I have to bring my own tank and weights to the boat. Why can't you babies just bring your own tanks and weights to Cozumel instead of using the dive shop's rental tanks and weights that have likely been peed on?

---------- Post added February 4th, 2014 at 10:37 AM ----------

I am pretty sure that is EXACTLY what Moss goes for in lodging. Or he might have a batman, I am not sure.
If I had a batman, he'd pick me up in the airport in the batmobile. Yet I climb in the same communal van as all the commoners.

Pity me that I'm stuck flying in commercial first-class instead of my own private jet!

I know an alcoholic who once said he peed in his suit while still on the dock. Have I mentioned that I never go barefoot on dive trips.

I know an alcoholic who once said he peed in his suit while still on the dock. Have I mentioned that I never go barefoot on dive trips.
There was a Texan at Secrets who peed off the dock while we were waiting for our dive boat one morning. We could tell he was Texan because of the huge state of Texas tattoed on his chest.

What do you think would happen if you stepped in pee, even Texan pee? Would your foot get gangrenous and fall off?

There was a Texan at Secrets who peed off the dock while we were waiting for our dive boat one morning. We could tell he was Texan because of the huge state of Texas tattoed on his chest.

What do you think would happen if you stepped in pee, even Texan pee? Would your foot get gangrenous and fall off?

If he was from Texas, even peeing off the dock he was still peeing under water.

Good Point Christi. Alison washes the gear and hangs it to dry. She is a little anti-germ, so they get clean. And also explains why she doesn't like 'used' wetsuits!

I used her rental gear, and it was nice to get a fresh detergenty taste on the regulator each day.

The term is "cold water immersion diaresis" and while keeping warm would affect this, there is also (as noted above) a pressure component, in that the hydrostatic pressure causes an increase in blood pressure. So proper exposure protection will help, but some of us still gotta go.

And while not having to pee over the course of a 60 minute dive may indicate to some that one is not well-hydrated, let's all remember that it's depth and time that are the significant risk factors for DCS, not dehydration. That's despite what 17 of you are going to say when you respond to this post telling me otherwise. :)

kari

Back
Top Bottom